Watch Your Trucks Closely - Part II!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcauley

Rhino, wake up! The narcos are not in the closet anymore. Be More careful than before but not paranoid. We used to walk the streets 24/7, sadly, not anymore. I don't give a rat's behind about the trucks, its the stray bullet that's bound to come.

Does Mexican auto insurance cover against vehicle theft or just accident liability? STUART you have me all nervous now!
When you buy your Mexico insurance you decide whether you want full coverage or just liability. The first thing to do is ask your U.S. carrier if they cover you this distance into Mexico. As has been discussed in another thread, some do cover their clients to Rocky Point. If your carrier won't cover you while in RP, then you might want to get full coverage. The deductibles are high: $1k for car and $1.5k for pickup.

Understand that insurance companies will never give you full retail, regardless what your vehicle is worth. Wholesale is tops, so don't buy $35k worth of insurance unless you're reasonably sure we can get that back for you in the event of a total loss.

If you just wonder what insurance would run...just go to the website and play around with the automatic quoter. Enter different amounts and see what it says. If you have further questions, feel free to pm me.

jerry

Stuart, I would agree that 4 trucks in one weekend and almost yours the previous weekend is excessive and abnormal. It's unnerving to hear about these accounts because I love Penasco so much and have for more than 10 years now. I go a lot, maybe not as much as others that "own" in Penasco, but more than your average Rocky Point tourist. I average a trip a month and am coming down this weekend of the 23rd. Having said that, should I be worried about my truck? It's a Toyota Tacoma Desert Prerunner with a lot of aftermarket work done to it, fox racing shocks, front bumber with skid plate, flaired fenders, the whole nine yards. The good thing is, its not the typical "Narco" truck as you have mentioned and its only 2wd. However it is an extremely nice truck. I would go on life tilt and be so pissed if something happened to it while I was there. Before this truck I had a 2000 Chevy Silverado with 22's and it was a really good looking truck. Im very acculturated with the latin community and I know for a fact that having a Chevy or Ford truck that is flashy is a status symbol. In saying this I always figured that it was possible for something to happen to it down there, but honestly I never had one issue with theft. So now after reading Stuarts post last week I started thinking a little more about it. I fully have anxiety now after reading this latest post by Stuart and coinsidently Im headed down this weekend which has really got the nerves going. So I guess my question to Stuart or anyone else that spends a significant amount of time down there is, should I be worried even though I dont have a FORD SUPERDUTY? I wonder what the stats are on auto theft in RP? If its really just a FORD SUPERDUTY problem I would feel much more comfortable. Does Mexican auto insurance cover against vehicle theft or just accident liability? STUART you have me all nervous now!
You have the truck of choice for honest mexicans.Check out the Toyota pulling a Toyota I=10 craze(HATE THEM!) They are taking a truck like yours towing a crappier truck like yours to a crossing in texas where the fix is in once or twice a month.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Mexico Joe - Why be worried now? Seems like they have plenty of Ford trucks for the next week or so!!
Believe it or not, there was a time when small Toyota pickups were the most stolen vehicle in Mexico. Why? Everybody drove them; big trucks stood out like a sore thumb!

Obviously, I have no crystal ball, but I think you'll be fine. Layers of protection. Keep that thought in mind. Locked, alarmed, a Club, disabled if possible. You could pull the coil wire or an ignition fuse under the hood on that truck real easy once you're parked and in for the night. The longer it takes them to try and steal it, the more likely they are to abandon the attempt.

As far these guys being crack or meth heads, who knows? It doesn't matter; they seem to be pretty damn good and quick at stealing these vehicles. They know *exactly* what to do and execute very quickly. No, it is not the narcos themselves doing the stealing. The narcos simply put out a "shopping list" of the vehicles they need. Going rate is about $1000 per delivered vehicle to the narcos.

As for insurance coverage - check your policy carefully - it all depends on what you paid for. Know if you have full coverage or only liability. I have full coverage that includes theft (so did Mark), but the bottom line is they pay based strictly on BlueBook value. Says so right in the policy. Vehicles newer than 7 years - they pay average of high and low BlueBook figure. Vehicles older than 7 years, they pay low BlueBook. So, you're going to take it in the shorts for all the fancy-schmancy stuff you have on your vehicle. For example, Mark just put $1500 in new tires on his truck last week. It's unlikely he'll see a dime of that. I don't know how much room there is for negotiation with the insurance company, if any. The policy is pretty darn clear on what they pay. (Policy issued by Ad-Vis Global through Vagabundos Del Mar). I also supposedly have coverage up to 65 miles into Mexico on my US policy, but I certainly wouldn't want to have to test it. God help you if you've got a newer truck and are upside down on the loan value -- you'd likely be taking money out of your pocket to pay it off.

There's a bigger issue that comes into play for me. My truck is paid for; I don't owe any money on it. That makes it worth a fortune to me, because if I had to replace it like and kind, I'd be looking at forking out $50k + for a new one. Given what the insurance settlement would be, it would be a drop in the bucket as a down payment -- I honestly don't know if I could afford a big loan payment right now. Even if I could, I certainly don't want a big payment. I'd have to find some way of compromising because I'd still need a big truck to get the boat around.

Herradura - I've heard of the Turbo Lifesaver thingie on one of the Ford forums. I'm still going Ravelco because it's a completely passive solution.

:stir::stir::stir:
Now for the stir, stir, stir... it's been conspicuously silent from the "Penasco is Safe" cheerleaders. I'd like to hear something "official" from the powers that be - at least acknowledging what in the heck is going on with the sudden rash of vehicle thefts and what (if anything) they intend to do about it. The Internet is a powerful tool. There's a bike run, a grouper tournament -- a couple big events coming up in the next week or so. We all know how easy it is to "spook" the general public about safety and Mexico. A lot of those bikes that come down get to Penasco in trailers towed behind trucks. Yes, a lot of them actually get ridden, too. But if people get to feeling their vehicles are at risk (Mexico Joe above, *ME* as perfect examples), start rolling up the carpet and turning out the lights -- they'll just stay home.

The progress of the best spring break and Semana Santa in the last few years is going to be lost to a long, hot, no tourist summer. Just when you thought it was safe to go back to Rocky Point... nope.

Kenny

I have a good looking Chili pepper red Jeep Cherokee with some nice wheels and tires, and it's lifted just enough for my needs. I've noticed for some time now that the Jeep Cherokee is a very popular vehicle with the locals, and they even seem to like my color too! Anyway, that observation was all I needed to put me on my toe's, and way before this rash of truck thefts.
I'll be down Thursday evening for the weekend, and I just might have my coil wire off more than usual... I mean who knows, it could be like a cold, contagious.

dmcauley

The going rate is 20 thousand bahia and I've crossed frequently in upscale vehicles for years without one full search. Careful Bahia. Who you know, might not like you announcing it.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yeah, they look at my Chili Pepper red Wrangler with a 4 inch lift, 33x12:50 mud tires and a gazillion other upgrades, too. I'm really glad I have a gas kill. They can beat her up while she b$%&#%s at them but they can't steal her unless they tow her. I had a Cherokee go to Mexico without me in 1995. They stole her out of my driveway at 2 A.M. in downtown Phoenix while I was out in my backyard with my 2 dogs!!!!!!!! That's how quiet they can be. They found my Cherokee 6 months later in Hermosillo. The mayors son had been driving it around and pi$$ed off somebody who turned him in. Can't be afraid but ya gotta protect yourself.......Yeah, I'll still go to Rocky Point. But, I'm a fatalist. If it's my time to go......But, I can outrun anybody in the desert! I know how to wheel! You guys with the big pretty pick ups, I feel for you. Hide a start button somewhere no one would think to look. Make it a complete the circuit thing so even of they find it, they can't make it work. That's what my second Cherokee had. They tried to steal it 3 times in Mexico that I know of and couldn't. So far, I've been lucky with the Wrangler. No one has tried to steal it, yet.....

jerry

Hate to say it but the Pigeon Coops and their gated parking will be a strong selling point from now on

B

bahiatrader

Thanks for the warning dmcauley. I'm not particularly concerned since Rocky Point is no longer my first choice of places to go in Mexico.

B

bahiatrader

I've been far more comfortable in SC and Kino Bay the last several years. A little further, but great fishing both places. Top water gamefish in the summertime are my favorites anyway.

Bosty

How much for 2?
I was just wondering....since the Customs people input your license plate number into the computer when you cross, isn't it cross-referenced against a stolen vehicle database? If so, all sorts of bells and whistles should go off...or am I asking/assuming too much from our wonderful Government????

Reply to this- I had my 2005 F-250 diesel stolen from costco in northwest tucson, had lo-jack in it (worthless) and when I finally got ahold of someone who new what thay were doing- TPD- auto theft task force- told me my truck had crossed into mexico 2 days later, lojack, and license plate-(so they do track plates just don't do anything about it) then a phone call a day later saying he was going to get my truck in Nogales son.- Was hoping he didn't find it, which he didn't. Found it 4 months later in the desert around Agua Prieta, stripped, painted a different color and worthless. I now have an 07 F-250 diesel thayt I am taking down on the 29th- has remote start and alarm, someone tried to steal it a year ago and the system worked- just $125 to fix ignition. But I am having a kill switch installed next Tuesday before I go $50. Am going to relax and don't want to worry about my truck when we go into town- staying at the Reef.

Last edited:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Mexico Joe - Why be worried now? Seems like they have plenty of Ford trucks for the next week or so!!
Believe it or not, there was a time when small Toyota pickups were the most stolen vehicle in Mexico. Why? Everybody drove them; big trucks stood out like a sore thumb!

Obviously, I have no crystal ball, but I think you'll be fine. Layers of protection. Keep that thought in mind. Locked, alarmed, a Club, disabled if possible. You could pull the coil wire or an ignition fuse under the hood on that truck real easy once you're parked and in for the night. The longer it takes them to try and steal it, the more likely they are to abandon the attempt.

As far these guys being crack or meth heads, who knows? It doesn't matter; they seem to be pretty damn good and quick at stealing these vehicles. They know *exactly* what to do and execute very quickly. No, it is not the narcos themselves doing the stealing. The narcos simply put out a "shopping list" of the vehicles they need. Going rate is about $1000 per delivered vehicle to the narcos.

As for insurance coverage - check your policy carefully - it all depends on what you paid for. Know if you have full coverage or only liability. I have full coverage that includes theft (so did Mark), but the bottom line is they pay based strictly on BlueBook value. Says so right in the policy. Vehicles newer than 7 years - they pay average of high and low BlueBook figure. Vehicles older than 7 years, they pay low BlueBook. So, you're going to take it in the shorts for all the fancy-schmancy stuff you have on your vehicle. For example, Mark just put $1500 in new tires on his truck last week. It's unlikely he'll see a dime of that. I don't know how much room there is for negotiation with the insurance company, if any. The policy is pretty darn clear on what they pay. (Policy issued by Ad-Vis Global through Vagabundos Del Mar). I also supposedly have coverage up to 65 miles into Mexico on my US policy, but I certainly wouldn't want to have to test it. God help you if you've got a newer truck and are upside down on the loan value -- you'd likely be taking money out of your pocket to pay it off.

There's a bigger issue that comes into play for me. My truck is paid for; I don't owe any money on it. That makes it worth a fortune to me, because if I had to replace it like and kind, I'd be looking at forking out $50k + for a new one. Given what the insurance settlement would be, it would be a drop in the bucket as a down payment -- I honestly don't know if I could afford a big loan payment right now. Even if I could, I certainly don't want a big payment. I'd have to find some way of compromising because I'd still need a big truck to get the boat around.

Herradura - I've heard of the Turbo Lifesaver thingie on one of the Ford forums. I'm still going Ravelco because it's a completely passive solution.

:stir::stir::stir:
Now for the stir, stir, stir... it's been conspicuously silent from the "Penasco is Safe" cheerleaders. I'd like to hear something "official" from the powers that be - at least acknowledging what in the heck is going on with the sudden rash of vehicle thefts and what (if anything) they intend to do about it. The Internet is a powerful tool. There's a bike run, a grouper tournament -- a couple big events coming up in the next week or so. We all know how easy it is to "spook" the general public about safety and Mexico. A lot of those bikes that come down get to Penasco in trailers towed behind trucks. Yes, a lot of them actually get ridden, too. But if people get to feeling their vehicles are at risk (Mexico Joe above, *ME* as perfect examples), start rolling up the carpet and turning out the lights -- they'll just stay home.

The progress of the best spring break and Semana Santa in the last few years is going to be lost to a long, hot, no tourist summer. Just when you thought it was safe to go back to Rocky Point... nope.
Stuart, wasnt trying to upset you when i said I would feel more comfortable knowing this is only a FORD problem. Im very sorry to you and your friends that have been targets down there. If my truck got stolen in Mexico you wouldnt want to be around me because I would have steam coming out of my ears for weeks and on top of that the hassel Im sure you have to go through just to get some kind of money back from the insurance. I was mearly trying to assertate if this is an auto theft problem or just a niche market problem. Looks to me like obviously they are going after a particular type of vehicle. After posting my reply yesterday I remembered reading an article on azcentral.com about the increase of truck theft from the I-10 corridor near Arizona Mills Mall. The article went on to say that a special task force has been tasked to investigate why this is so prominant in that area. They concluded that it is the Narcos and human smuggling organizations out of Mexico that are in charge of these thefts. The article went on to say that they mainly target FORD and DODGE Deisel type trucks, obviously for a particular reason. The task force has also found that the vehicles are only used a few times and then dumped in the same area that they are stolen from. The task force believes this is a hot spot off of the I-10 because people shopping inside the mall dont realize that they have been victomized for hours, allowing the trucks to run south on the 10 to Mexico. They have made their conclusions based off of a number of things Im sure, but one of them was the fact that they are finding the same stolen vehicles back where the trucks originally have been stolen from along the I-10 corridor near the AZ Mills Mall with alterations and customizations for smuggling. I definitely will be pulling a fuse or two for sure this weekend. Thanks for the tip and once again Im sorry to you and your friends, I really wasnt trying to joke at all. More or less just trying to clearify.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Joe - No offense taken on my part at all, buddy! We're cool. I do think it's a niche problem as you described. You're perfectly right to be concerned and I understand the anger you'd feel if it were you.

My "stir the pot" comments weren't directed at you at all. What I was getting at is that us gringos often have love affairs with our vehicles. Next to our homes, it's the single biggest thing we buy, often making payments and taking years to pay off. When people feel their nice shiny truck or car is at risk of being stolen, they freak out. And even when there is security in place, you have to wonder if they're complicit or simply turning their heads and looking the other way because they don't want to put themselves or families at risk from the narcos. In essence, go ahead and take the gringo truck, it's not worth my life.

Consider this carefully - one of the other trucks stolen this past weekend was stolen 12 hours earlier from the exact same spot where Penasco Del Sol insisted Mark park his truck. Sheer coincidence?? C'mon, I have an extremely difficult time believing that!! They knew of the prior theft (Mark didn't at the time). They didn't do one damned thing to beef up security, but instead put another truck right there in the same place to be stolen?? Then, after notifying the Hotel of the theft and asking them to call the police, two hours later, no police. Mark actually flagged down an officer on the street to report the theft and was told that the Hotel never even called it in!! The Hotel is either the most incompetent place on the planet or complicit. Make your own decisions about that!

I live about 1.5 miles from AZ Mills Mall. Very rarely do I go there. We jokingly refer to it as the "Ghetto Mall." It should have been built in South Phoenix somewhere, not Tempe, because the only folks that patronize the place are from South Phoenix. It was okay when it opened for a year or so, but it's pretty much gangbanger central these days. And they have *always* had a vehicle theft problem there. As you said, so easy to "jack and go" right on down the I-10.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
.....Now for the stir, stir, stir... it's been conspicuously silent from the "Penasco is Safe" cheerleaders. I'd like to hear something "official" from the powers that be......
One thing is for sure, and I will be :deadhorse: again, it happens all the time, here, there and everywhere, it just happen to be Stuart and his friend Mark and it happens to be first hand instead of the second hand twice remove cousin of your friend in Germany!!
I feel sorry for you guys and I hope it does not happen again, however it will to someone else, I am not a cheerleader of PP but I love the place and where I go I feel very secure and have never been robbed or have anything stolen, for which I am gratefull!!
Again you do not have to spend hundreds of dollars to make your car theft proof and for what I have heard and see you guys talking you are more than capable to come up with a better idea than give some audio/car alarm your money for a worthless piece of feces alarm that will not work!!

Im Mark the friend of Stuart he started the post about my truck being stolen ,I haven"t read all the previous posts so I mightbe duplicating or pissin some off anyway , First I would like to thank Stuart , Connie & all the members of this forum that called to help & all that did help Thanks Ed &Marsha for the ride home. It is very important to my wife & I that we stress the appreciation that we have for everyone that helped or tried to help, we do go out of our way to help people in need, & its nice to see that help returned.
Here goes Stuart & I had talked at length about the Ford truck theft in R.P. previous to my trip down being aware of this & my wife with I decided to stay at the Penasco Del Sol Hotel thinking nicer hotel better security(wrong) After a day at the marina & dinner we pulled into the full hotel parking lot , so I pulled into the handicapp parking. The lot attendant called our room & informed me I have to move my truck. He wanted me to park down the street I informed him I would checkout of the hotel first because I was aware of the bullseye on my truck & didnt feel the parking lot at the end of the street was very secure. He didnt want me to leave so he called security , who told me to park my truck along the curb directly in front of their Security Kiosk & gate 3:45 am they stole my truck

When I discovered the truck gone I went to the front desk asked her to call the manager & the police , a hour & half goes by before any help from the hotel comes the video shows the truck being stolen , the security equipment is in a broom closet way in the back, you have to walk in sideways to view the very distorted 12 inch screen , only enough room for one person at a time to see the screen . So after repeatedly asking the front desk & security where are the police & they kept saying they are on the way, three hours go by, I flag a police officer down, its now 11a.m 7 hours after they stole my truck the police tell me the hotel had never called them to report my truck being stolen & I need to go to the police station. A hotel employee takes me, The detective their informs me the hotel never called to report the theft & the day before a ford truck like mine parked in the handicap spot was stolen the day before . She just stared at the hotel employee like how stupid do you think we are?? Now to give any credit due to the Penasco Del Sol Hotel who assisted in the theft of my truck . They did provide transportation to the police station & a translator.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
So I guess figure out what the bad guys want (they always get it) and drive something else. duh! You guys are starting to sound like the rver community from Canada (nothing bad happens in Canada) but because it happens in Mexico it is ten times worse - get a grip. If you park your car out front of your hotel, Phoenix, Vegas, Penasco, you stand a good chance of not seeing it int he morning. Good grief. I hope none of you have anything stolen from you in the states as you will have nowhere to go.....By the way, I have lived here for almost 4 years, nothing stolen! Conspiracy? Maybe so..........Maybe not maybe just careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.