water shortage

jerry

Refilling my pool as we speak...............

Twenty two thousand gallons of crystal clear mineral free fresh water from the nine hundred foot deep aquifer here in Yuma that was deposited thirty thousand years ago when Imperial Mammoths and Saber Tooth Cats roamed the temperate grasslands along the banks of the mighty uncontrolled and wild Colorado River. It should be filled by tomorrow night. Won't even see a blip on my water bill, maybe a hundred bucks above average. My many year water usage is 24/7 every day of the year for my citrus, palms, vegetable garden and doggie pools and rarely exceeds two hundred bucks a month.

Water conservation in the desert? Why?

JJ
Tucson that would cost you 500 I am guessing... swimming pools...always hated themhttp://homeguides.sfgate.com/ideas-converting-inground-pool-pond-97093.html

When infiltration is unable to replace groundwater as quickly as pumping removes it, the water table drops. Deeper wells could be dug to chase the table, but then the water table will just drop even further. Over the long-term, groundwater is a non-renewable resource in this situation, and won't be able to supply all the needed water. The population will either have to reduce its water usage, or find other sources of water.
But how would we ever find other sources of water since that other guy said it will be 'gone'. Hahaha. The earth has PLENTY of water. Calm down Bruno.

Roberto

I heard there is a plan afoot to tow in an iceberg and use the new pier as an anchoring spot, put in a catch system and piping solving the water problem for northern Sonora.

I heard there is a plan afoot to tow in an iceberg and use the new pier as an anchoring spot, put in a catch system and piping solving the water problem for northern Sonora.
After one summer it would be gone and all beach front homes would be flooded from the rapid rise in sea levels. ;)

Very true, but as a society, will we? One way to promote water conservation would be a multi-level billing system similar to CFE's billing. Those that conserve pay a reasonable amount per gallon of use. Once your use passes a heavy user threshold the price per gallon goes up for ALL usage. Then another threshold for massive use that will make you sorry you didn't conserve. Best way to get people's attention is to get in their wallet.
I want nothing to do with anyone placing progressive water use fees on me. I'm installing my own desal plant.

Landshark

I want nothing to do with anyone placing progressive water use fees on me. I'm installing my own desal plant.
I'm not in favor of it either but my point was if water restrictions become necessary something's gotta give. I have flood irrigation at an insanely cheap annual fee. Not counting on that being there forever, wish I wouldn't have planted all those trees, screwed without it.

Last edited:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I wasn't going to comment but it is under my skin the guy earlier who smirkingly said he is filling his pool while there are people who don't have fresh water to live on. The arrogance and inhumanity is amazing to me. I am sure he or she or it was just looking for a response....here it is. I am glad I don't live anywhere near him, her or it.

Last edited:

jerry

same stuff in my county..big hedge funds buying land,digging 1100 foot big ass wells and planting pecans to send to china.Small ranchers and hillbillies on 40 acres are seeing their wells dry up from Lords burg to Bowie....blood will be spilled...

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
When you have to drink out of your pool cause there is no water in the faucet you may have a change of heart. Water usage in the desert....as it is...unsustainable! But keep using what you can afford to waste right now! Maybe the guy that posted he is filling his pool is old and doesn't expect to live too much longer...I understand

Line up with your tea cup Russ....................

She is just about half full. All of that water will go a long way when the shit-hits-the-fan and the grid goes haywire.

I kinda remind myself of that old dead tree hugger "folk" singer John Denver, with his personal ten thousand gallon gasoline tank on his ranch up there in Rocky Mountain High whilst everyone else was forced to ration gas based on your license plate numbers back in the 70's.

Wada F-en hypocrite! Kilt himself whilst flying over the Pacific Ocean in his just one day purchased ridiculously expensive Vari-Easy homebuilt air-o-plane that I had just done an air worthy inspection on. He forgot to read the page in the operators manual about switching the lever on the floor to the left side fuel tank when the right side ran out! The dizzy crowd liked to believe that he had a terminal bird strike with the then "endangered" California Brown Pelican. When they recovered his sunk toy the left fuel tank was still full of fuel.

JJ

Roberto

same stuff in my county..big hedge funds buying land,digging 1100 foot big ass wells and planting pecans to send to china.Small ranchers and hillbillies on 40 acres are seeing their wells dry up from Lords burg to Bowie....blood will be spilled...
Ya well we have had our ass kicked by these folks for a long time.

JimMcG

Does anyone actually know what the reason for the water shortage is this time around, e.g. some wells offline due to neglected periodic maintenance, failure to pay electric bills, misappropriated funds or? Serious question, thanks.

ernesto

Could it be that oomapas makes more money colluding with the water trucks by controlling flow at the spigot? It almost always boils down to $ and palm greasing.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I don't know about any water shortage except that it was a holiday weekend and all the tanks had to be stocked up at the resorts.