water shortage

playaperro

El Pirata
Supply is not continuous. Excellent pressure and flow last night. Mid day today no hay agua nada. Seems to me to be sufficient for modest use, certainly is for me and I water prolly 30 palms and miscellaneous other plants from the big tank . Solo yo en casa aqui.
Gracias, aver cuando vamos a dar la vuelta.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Instead of a port for cruise ships that will bring more people and more water usage the effort should be in a desal plant.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Maybe people can conserve the most precious thing we have as humans....20 minute showers? In our little project house in Cholla we conserve like crazy just like when we lived in our motorhome on the road. In general people in the rich countries waste water, not just a little but by a large margin. Hey when its gone its gone, then we are gone.

Last edited:

jerry

Well Known Member
Maybe people can conserve the most precious thing we have as humans....20 minute showers? In our little project house in Cholla we conserve like crazy just like when we lived in our motorhome on the road. In general people in the rich countries waste water, not just a little but by a large margin. Hey when its gone its gone, then we are gone.
the Crummy Carnaval That Never Leaves...aka Rocky Point is in trouble. There really is no one answer.Stopping growth,desal,more wells are all not realistic.Playing out this bad hand will still be enjoyable most the time but...we are screwed.

Landshark

Well Known Member
I agree completely. We waste a tremendous amount of water. When we started coming to RP over 20 yrs ago we learned how little we really needed. The house we stayed at only had a small black plastic water tank. Navy showers were necessary and worked fine. Now we have a large tank but still try to conserve as much as possible. We have water saver shower heads and have set our water pressure on the low side. Every little bit helps. The underlying basic problem is while 71% of the earth is covered by water, only about 3 1/2% is fresh water and 2/3 of that is glaciers and polar ice caps. We need to conserve as much as possible but moving into the future I don't believe it will be enough. Coastal areas will have the unique opportunity to access the abundant salt water resource and generate fresh water through the desal process. Inland areas will need to look towards recycling wastewater which has been gaining popularity. Bottom line is we have the technology to do all this and the clock is ticking. We need to move forward with it now. Yes, there will be a price to pay, both initially and by the final consumer, but I don't see there being a choice. Gone are the days of cheap water. The price to the consumer will skyrocket, which will make water conservation necessary, and we will finally have a solution. IMHO

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
That's one of the perks of living in a 'rich' country. We waste lots and lots of other things besides water.

P.S. Water is never really 'gone'. In goes back into the earth and we continually reuse it.

JimMcG

Well Known Member
On top of the water situation we had the politicians misappropriating tax money for themselves which could have greatly ameliorated the crisis.

Landshark

Well Known Member
P.S. Water is never really 'gone'. In goes back into the earth and we continually reuse it.
When infiltration is unable to replace groundwater as quickly as pumping removes it, the water table drops. Deeper wells could be dug to chase the table, but then the water table will just drop even further. Over the long-term, groundwater is a non-renewable resource in this situation, and won't be able to supply all the needed water. The population will either have to reduce its water usage, or find other sources of water.

Water tables are falling on every continent. Aquifer depletion is a new problem. Water tables are falling from the over-pumping of groundwater in large portions of China, India, Iran, Mexico, the Middle East, North Africa, Saudi Arabia, and the United States. India has the highest volume of annual groundwater overdraft of any nation in the world. In most parts of the country, water mining is taking place at twice the rate of natural recharge, causing aquifer water tables to drop by 3 to 10 feet per year.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Completely agree, conservation is the near term solution. Infrastructure improvements, De-Sal and conservation are the longer term solutions.

An example of conservation is, my wife and 3 girl friends are down for the 4th weekend and with 4 of them using everything have managed to use 1/2 of a (1100L tank) of water.

Completely amazing, just goes to show with 4 people using everything, they manage to use only 150 gallons over 1 1/2 days, this is how you can conserve water.

Estella

There is no water shortage in Phoenix because smart people planned in advance. In mexico things are done on short term bases only, "make my money now, who care what happens later". Same problem faces Hermosillo.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
There is no water shortage in Phoenix because smart people planned in advance. In mexico things are done on short term bases only, "make my money now, who care what happens later". Same problem faces Hermosillo.
Well now that opens a new can or worms.....The Colorado naturally ran into the Northern sea of Cortes. Since 1964 that is not the case. Your crass statement is not needed. We are a town of 65000 and Phoenix is an unnatural city of 6-7 million. The only way Phoenix was to grow in the middle of the desert was to snag by any means water from literally everywhere. In the event of a major drought I would rather be with humble people who can do without than with a massive hoard of people who expect everything to be the same as it ever was - and when it isn't.........

Landshark

Well Known Member
You better check your sources because this is simply not true. The Colorado River is unable to maintain water levels in Lake Mead and Lake Powell which are Arizona's primary reservoirs. They supply almost half of Arizona's water and are at record low levels with no relief in sight. Engineers are already installing new hydropower electricity-generating equipment at Lake Mead to prepare for the contingency of the lake reaching so-called “dead pool” levels—below which the Colorado River will no longer be able to spin Hoover’s power-generating turbines. A new intake from Lake Mead to Las Vegas will come online later this year, allowing the city to essentially suck the lake dry, all the way down to the last drop.

apricot

Well Known Member
Sonora should take a look at what Baja Calif is doing: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/drought/sdut-ensenada-san-quintin-desalination-plants-2015jul04-htmlstory.html

Set to launch operations in 2017, the state’s first utility-scale ocean desalination plant is under construction in Ensenada, where residents have been subject to water rationing. The $48 million plant, a reverse-osmosis facility, would supply 5.7 million gallons daily to residents of the port city, part of a sprawling Baja California municipality that includes the San Quintin export-oriented agricultural region and the wine-producing Valle de Guadalupe.

Mexico’s National Infrastructure Fund has contributed $14 million for the project, while the North American Development Bank is providing a $22 million loan to the South Korean company contracted by the state to build the facility.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Really doesn't matter what the level of any lake, river or any other body of water is, CONSERVE!
Very true, but as a society, will we? One way to promote water conservation would be a multi-level billing system similar to CFE's billing. Those that conserve pay a reasonable amount per gallon of use. Once your use passes a heavy user threshold the price per gallon goes up for ALL usage. Then another threshold for massive use that will make you sorry you didn't conserve. Best way to get people's attention is to get in their wallet.

Last edited:

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Refilling my pool as we speak...............

Twenty two thousand gallons of crystal clear mineral free fresh water from the nine hundred foot deep aquifer here in Yuma that was deposited thirty thousand years ago when Imperial Mammoths and Saber Tooth Cats roamed the temperate grasslands along the banks of the mighty uncontrolled and wild Colorado River. It should be filled by tomorrow night. Won't even see a blip on my water bill, maybe a hundred bucks above average. My many year water usage is 24/7 every day of the year for my citrus, palms, vegetable garden and doggie pools and rarely exceeds two hundred bucks a month.

Water conservation in the desert? Why?

JJ