whats the top shore bait

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
From shore, not sure why, but the gills of any fish you catch drives them crazy and they stay on the hook for several catches, the fish cant rip them off the hook, like they can other baits. You can catch fish with anything if they are biting, we caught lots of big sierra around the Konsag Rock, the small island between Rocky Point and San Felipe on cut up pieces of chrome car antennas, pulled out of my brother in laws sack of junk. He cut them up at home (San Felipe) flattened them out and rigged a hook to them.

Thats the word on the street, weight, car antenna, and a treble hook... seen it with my own eyes!

azfish

I tried a piece of wii game, and it didnt work. Just kidding. Im back in az and got skunked fishing this weekend. Maybe is was a bad spot. Seen a couple of people out on yaks, looked like they were getting something.

rplarry

Yea I understand that but Im not the guy out there dragging kastmasters through the sand. They get hung up on everything and if Im going to be fishing for Flounder Im going with a bottom rig. My friends dad loves the kastmaters worked slow as hell lower in the water table and off the bottom or dragging the bottom. Apparently it works for him but Ive lost $100 worth of kastmasters trying that technique. But yes you are right and I should be taking advice from you then with all those flounder!!!!! You're semi-pro?
Joe, I definitely feel your pain. Have lost a ton of lures as well. Should have put a disclaimer out there regarding that. Especially when I have run out or lost all the lures I brought down from the States and then have to spend $12-15 a pop at the dive shop (if they even have any in stock).

One little tip that I either got on this forum, or from someone who enjoys losing their kastmasters about as much as we do, was to take off the attached treble and connect a single hook (or could use a treble) to the lure using a short leader from your fishing line. Then, if you get hung up in the rocks, only the hook breaks off and you still have your $8 kastmaster. I've tried it a couple times and it does work. The downside is that it takes time to re-rig. With the tide so often coming in so darn fast, I have opted to take the risk of losing another lure vs. missing my 'tidal window' while fooling around with the hook and leader. If you have the time or have them pre set up before going out, that method can definitely help out the pocketbook.

As far as my quantity of flounder caught, I failed to mention that was over many, many years!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Joe, I definitely feel your pain. Have lost a ton of lures as well. Should have put a disclaimer out there regarding that. Especially when I have run out or lost all the lures I brought down from the States and then have to spend $12-15 a pop at the dive shop (if they even have any in stock).

One little tip that I either got on this forum, or from someone who enjoys losing their kastmasters about as much as we do, was to take off the attached treble and connect a single hook (or could use a treble) to the lure using a short leader from your fishing line. Then, if you get hung up in the rocks, only the hook breaks off and you still have your $8 kastmaster. I've tried it a couple times and it does work. The downside is that it takes time to re-rig. With the tide so often coming in so darn fast, I have opted to take the risk of losing another lure vs. missing my 'tidal window' while fooling around with the hook and leader. If you have the time or have them pre set up before going out, that method can definitely help out the pocketbook.

As far as my quantity of flounder caught, I failed to mention that was over many, many years!
Yea Ive heard that the single hook is easier to get unhooked from a snag but I like the treble hooks better. I just keep my kastmasters and other casting spoons away from the bottom now a days. If Im going to bottom fish I do it with a genuine bottom rig. I use swivels on all of my rigs so I dont get line twist and also to be able to quickly change rigs. I still havent ever figured out if buying my kastmasters from ebay is cheaper than going down to Phoenix Fishing Supply. Its usually so close in price I cant determine if there is a benefit one way or the other. Ebay = no sales tax and possible free shipping but a tad bit higher in price or PFS = tax, no shipping fee obviously and the "owner discount" that the owner always applies to everything you buy from him. Lol Ill take a handful of crap up to the register and the guy is always like, "6.50 + 6.50 + 6.50 + 2.50 + 7.50 + 6.50 + .86 = 36.00 , - 3.50 let's call it 32.50". He's always giving a discount at the end, it's pretty funny. Nice guys in there too, answer questions and shoot the ish without hesitation. I personally dont like throwing anything under 2oz now. With 2oz or more its seems like you can cast those things a mile!!

mondone

Whitecaps
Are you guys fishing near any structures from shore? Or just casting into sandy bottom? Would I have any luck shore fishing right off the beach in front of my place in Encanto?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Would I have any luck shore fishing right off the beach in front of my place in Encanto?
You better believe it... My wife and I used to rent a place out in Paradise Villas several times a year, and I have caught some really nice Corvina along that beach. Any time we would take a walk along the beach I would always have a 7 ft spinning rod with 12lb test and a one ounce chrome spoon in my hand as we walked... any sign of diving birds, jumping bait fish, or big splashes and I'd be casting and cranking like a crazy man... I've also caught many small Gafftopsail Pompano along that beach- although they are more for fun and sport than for good eating.

It used to be that you could drive west along the bottom road below Encanto, past the oyster farms, and you would eventually get to the mouth of the first estuary - I have fished that area many times through the years and it was always productive.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Thats the word on the street, weight, car antenna, and a treble hook... seen it with my own eyes!
Hah... Sometimes you don't even need a car antenna for Sierra - if they are in a feeding frenzy they will eat a bare chrome hook, or a bright brass swivel... anything in the water that reflects sunlight will get slammed.

I learned that lesson the hard way... I would throw a jig or spoon, hook a fish, then lose the whole rig when another fish would hit the swivel at the top of my wire leader and sever the main line...

Now when I fish for sierra (especially the grandes that frequent the islands) I tie my wire leader direct to the mainline with an albright knot and only use a swivel at the bottom near the spoon.

Kenny

It used to be that you could drive west along the bottom road below Encanto, past the oyster farms, and you would eventually get to the mouth of the first estuary - I have fished that area many times through the years and it was always productive.
Still can unless they closed it recently. That's one of my favorite spots to shore fish, and has been since before Terry's and those other houses were there. The only houses that were there back in the day were the one's past the adobe wall down below; the Marua estuary club.

mondone

Whitecaps
You better believe it... My wife and I used to rent a place out in Paradise Villas several times a year, and I have caught some really nice Corvina along that beach. Any time we would take a walk along the beach I would always have a 7 ft spinning rod with 12lb test and a one ounce chrome spoon in my hand as we walked... any sign of diving birds, jumping bait fish, or big splashes and I'd be casting and cranking like a crazy man... I've also caught many small Gafftopsail Pompano along that beach- although they are more for fun and sport than for good eating.

That's where I usually go, but maybe I'll try right in front of my place on west end of Encanto.

Hooch

When I shore fish I have a couple spots, one by Wrecked at the Reef and one on the west end of Cholla. I have been have good luck with a fireball setup over there, keeps me from getting snagged almost every other shot. Looks similar to this baited with cut fish, squid or shrimp and a heavy wait to sink it, think im gonna go peddle kayak this weekend though

Kenny

I've tried a old Steel head method of fishing I used in the Pacific Northwest in both the Marua estuary, and the one we go to north of Jerry's in Santo Tomas and it works great!.... There called Corkies, and there simply cork with a plastic coating withe a hole through the middle. They like the fireball keep the bait suspended, and off the bottom. They come in a variety of sizes and colors, and can be bought on ebay or http://www.cabelas.com/bait-rigs-uv-lil-corky-lure.shtml, and other sites... I like the shrimp color or pearl blue. After you have the Corkie on the line, you simply slide a toothpick in the hole to keep it from sliding up. You can use colored yarn to make a streamer if you like.There are a variety of way's to rig it so the lead comes loose without loosing the hook. I was back in Mexico shortly after catching this Steelhead with a Corkie in Washington state, so as you can see, I've been using this method for a long time..LOL

Last edited:

Hooch

Man I fished all day yesterday and all last night, nothing. WTF totally weird I usually clean house at those 2 spots

audsley

Man I fished all day yesterday and all last night, nothing. WTF totally weird I usually clean house at those 2 spots
Maybe it's the time of year?

Does anyone have an opinion about spring shore fishing, like maybe April, especially for Corvina?