Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Safe. Until next time. Based on personal knowledge and communication, I'm going to throw this out there. Do whatever you will with it, but there's more sense here than in any of the news drivel you'll read on the other sites, or the "official" take on what transpired today. I love you, Rosy, but... this is huge. There are implications of American involvement (from an an intelligence perspective) as well. Spin, spin... spin, spin. As I mentioned earlier to someone, it's a good thing most Americans are ADD and as soon as the media isn't shoving it in their face, they'll forget. Thank goodness there's no American bodies laying in the street or this would be totally ballistic.

So they killed Macho, he's the main guy around here. But, ask what do we get in exchange for him, another of Chapo's guys, perhaps a better one? At least, that's the word on the street.
This was a military operation. They over did it just a wee bit. Everyone knew Macho was at Bella, so they could have taken him out a little more quietly. But then again, what do we know?Perhaps a helicopter with a mini gun is the fun way to do it, spraying tourists and the resort at 5 in the morning. Wake up call!! We've known for a couple of weeks that this was going to happen. Now it has.

Chapo Guzman's previous boss, Cara, was let out of prison a couple of months ago. He wants Penasco back. Chapo has been paying him while he was in prison, and now he's out, he wants Penasco back. So, that is what the other killings the last few weeks have been about. It is kind of a war zone. They are not zeta's, but some group refered to as zomorras, or something like that. Don't know if we'd be better off with them or not, but they are out of Caborca, and the guy that was killed July 2012 was one of them. We assume that Guzman had him killed, as he was misbehaving in Penasco. Raped some woman in Las Conchas, so they say. Guzman remains in control, but the Caborca group is going to try and take out Guzman's guys, as is Guzman going to take out their guys and take Caborca. It's war, or so it seems.

Anonymous

Estella

people that got killed were known cartel members that operated in rocky point for a while. Ask any local person. When a military has to come then that tells you how serious the situation is. This thing is all over the news in AZ, it is hard to hush hush everything.

Thanks, Rosie. I get what you're saying. But how do you explain that to a family with little kids? You know I'm not a nay-sayer scaredy-cat - the exact opposite, in fact. I would drive down right now, tonight and stay forever if I could. But just hearing that there was a helicopter shooting down in front of the resort in the desert is enough to make people think twice. I just hate that this is happening at all, and I'm just venting.

Vent all you want. I get it. I just want to keep things as close to the truth as possible. Someone else on here says the shots he heard were from a helicopter. I've pointed out that the helicopter was shooting INTO THE DESERT. The shots could clearly be heard in the condos. In the video, where the shots ring out...please note you cannot hear copter rotors nor is there movement in the bushes to indicate the rotors are near.

mis2810

Safe. Until next time. Based on personal knowledge and communication, I'm going to throw this out there. Do whatever you will with it, but there's more sense here than in any of the news drivel you'll read on the other sites, or the "official" take on what transpired today. I love you, Rosy, but... this is huge. There are implications of American involvement (from an an intelligence perspective) as well. Spin, spin... spin, spin. As I mentioned earlier to someone, it's a good thing most Americans are ADD and as soon as the media isn't shoving it in their face, they'll forget. Thank goodness there's no American bodies laying in the street or this would be totally ballistic.

So they killed Macho, he's the main guy around here. But, ask what do we get in exchange for him, another of Chapo's guys, perhaps a better one? At least, that's the word on the street.
This was a military operation. They over did it just a wee bit. Everyone knew Macho was at Bella, so they could have taken him out a little more quietly. But then again, what do we know?Perhaps a helicopter with a mini gun is the fun way to do it, spraying tourists and the resort at 5 in the morning. Wake up call!! We've known for a couple of weeks that this was going to happen. Now it has.

Chapo Guzman's previous boss, Cara, was let out of prison a couple of months ago. He wants Penasco back. Chapo has been paying him while he was in prison, and now he's out, he wants Penasco back. So, that is what the other killings the last few weeks have been about. It is kind of a war zone. They are not zeta's, but some group refered to as zomorras, or something like that. Don't know if we'd be better off with them or not, but they are out of Caborca, and the guy that was killed July 2012 was one of them. We assume that Guzman had him killed, as he was misbehaving in Penasco. Raped some woman in Las Conchas, so they say. Guzman remains in control, but the Caborca group is going to try and take out Guzman's guys, as is Guzman going to take out their guys and take Caborca. It's war, or so it seems.

Anonymous
That's not the first time I've heard that now that Caro Quintero was out that things were going to change. I heard it back in September.

What if the authorities didn't know it was Macho, but all they knew was it was someone very important; They could have thought there was a possibility it was Chapo instead. If that could have been the case, do you feel there would have been more force used this morning if they thought it was Chapo? What can we assess from the government's response that took place?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I posted this in another place but realize I should post it here. There will be a news broadcast in English, tomorrow, Thursday morning at 8 A.M. on 106.1 Sol FM. Just google XHPPO and you can listen online. I will be listening.

mis2810

What if the authorities didn't know it was Macho, but all they knew was it was someone very important; They could have thought there was a possibility it was Chapo instead. If that could have been the case, do you feel there would have been more force used this morning if they thought it was Chapo? What can we assess from the government's response that took place?
Can you imagine if they took out Chapo in RP? I don't think they thought it was him. I think it would've been worse if they had thought it was him.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
The pool comment was made by me and is unfounded. It was a joke as the house in question is 30 ft from one of the pools at the resort. I apologize. However, I think the evidence corroborates what Stephen is saying he saw. If you look at the pictures of the truck that the article describes as being "armored", the bullet grouping or pattern to me indicates that the bullets were on a downward plane, coming from above. I'm not an expert but I think the only round that can penetrate the engine block is a .50 cal round, the same that would be fired from the helo. There is engine oil leaking from the truck and if you look at the bullet grouping on the hood and front window you can see the rounds came from above with something big. I also know that shooting for the engine block is a widely practiced technique. Just my opinion but it seems possible.

I disagree with anyone saying there was a .50 cal present during the two videos aired by home owners. Those are clearly AR-15 or any other .223 rim fire semi-auto. I also read someone thought automatic weapons. No, rim fire .223 rounds, 100% which also corroborates what Rosy says plus the pictures indicate small arms fire into the house. If they were firing .50 cal into that house there would be walls missing. No joke.

I think we have 3 or 4 material witnesses and besides the two or three reports we had come out of Bella initially this morning, Stephen is the closest to the scene and has vantage point over Bella. Also as a writer/reporter, it is his obligation to be objective. He did that and I believe what he is saying.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

Apparently you're not getting something. Chapo, The USA and Mexico are all business partners. It has been done before when Sinaloa needs cleaning out, someone gets "anonymously turned in". The drug war is over BRO

I can appreciate to a point, that there is a difference if the firing was from a helicopter or from the ground.

Regardless where it came from, it does not change the fact that a heavy duty gunfight with lots of bullets fired, transpired right inside that resort.

I think that fact alone is what is disturbing. If a cartel member happens to be staying in a resort where you are, does that mean you can look forward to the same thing as the folks at Bella Serena.

Sub

I think I'm going to throw caution to the wind and come on down for New Years. I just need to burn a CD for the drive. I'm thinking Wagner. Definitely Wagner.

Sub

The pool comment was made by me and is unfounded. It was a joke as the house in question is 30 ft from one of the pools at the resort. I apologize. However, I think the evidence corroborates what Stephen is saying he saw. If you look at the pictures of the truck that the article describes as being "armored", the bullet grouping or pattern to me indicates that the bullets were on a downward plane, coming from above. I'm not an expert but I think the only round that can penetrate the engine block is a .50 cal round, the same that would be fired from the helo. There is engine oil leaking from the truck and if you look at the bullet grouping on the hood and front window you can see the rounds came from above with something big. I also know that shooting for the engine block is a widely practiced technique. Just my opinion but it seems possible.

I disagree with anyone saying there was a .50 cal present during the two videos aired by home owners. Those are clearly AR-15 or any other .223 rim fire semi-auto. I also read someone thought automatic weapons. No, rim fire .223 rounds, 100% which also corroborates what Rosy says plus the pictures indicate small arms fire into the house. If they were firing .50 cal into that house there would be walls missing. No joke.

I think we have 3 or 4 material witnesses and besides the two or three reports we had come out of Bella initially this morning, Stephen is the closest to the scene and has vantage point over Bella. Also as a writer/reporter, it is his obligation to be objective. He did that and I believe what he is saying.
AR-15's, M-4's,M-16's are not rim fire, they use the .223/5.56mm NATO centerfire cartridge. I can't recall a rim fire standard issue rifle since the frontier days.

Steve and Rosie are both right. Steve saw what looked like the helicopter firing into Bella Sirena, but he saw it from 1/2 mile away at Esmerelda. In reality, I think the only target for the helos were the trucks, armored trucks that is. I see no pictures with 50 cal damage other than the trucks and I have looked at every public picture. I agree with another poster, if the helis were firing on Villa 8 it would be torn to shreds. Did the helis fire on a vehicle inside Bella Sirena? Perhaps they did... the gray truck. The only damage I see in the villa is from smaller weapons inside Bella Sirena. So Steve - you saw what you saw buddy, no need to defend yourself. Rosie - you are also telling the truth, there were no large caliber weapons fired into Bella Sirena (except maybe a truck going in, or trying to leave). I am just glad the operation was successful - the bad guys were eliminated and there no innocent bystanders injured. I feel bad for the residents of Bella Sirena - to be there today must of have been trematic. My heart goes out to them.

Rosie,
When I first talked to you, they were firing into an area in the desert.

Later while we were trying to see what was going on, Maria and I BOTH witnessed heavy caliber fire from the helicopter going into the residential area. How did we know where it was going? Because tracers were being utilized as well.

In 25 years of working in one way or the other within media, I've been a stern representation of the truth. What's being said may not be pretty, but it's always going to be honest. Anybody that happened to be looking outside of their windows before daybreak at that resort will easily be able to confirm exactly what I'm saying.

For you to suggest that what I said is anything but the truth is deeply offensive.
Stephen, it didn't occur to me that you weren't being truthful. I thought you'd been misunderstood. If not for that, I would've addressed you directly. Again, I want to be sure not to minimize the fear felt or even the danger to which anyone was exposed. I have friends who were home in Bella Sirena the whole time and I was on the phone with them throughout the morning.

Please clarify for me: You saw helicopter fire going directly into Bella Sirena? This is something you hadn't mentioned so understand that I had no reason to think it had happened.

Without distracting from the ongoing conversation I'd like to point out that this Municipal administration has finally done what we've always asked for: release a statement addressing what happened. Regardless how you feel it was 'spun', we've made craploads of progress. Never before would a press release have gone out specifically for you. I was given this and asked to translate along with free reign to give interviews and spread it around. Trust me, that's a first. Some of you might recall a very awkward interview I did a few years back with Mr. Soto regarding an incident on the highway. Geez...never again (hopefully)