Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

JimMcG

I did chuckle about the tanks outside of Cholla Bay, but in reality this would not deter me from coming back down for another visit. I think what is important to note is that this all began up at the border in Lukeville and they just ended up in Sandy Beach. So it wasn't like Sandy Beach was targeted for an attack. I do wonder though how the military's response will be viewed- Will it be seen as a message to the Cartel don't hang around Puerto Penasco? Or do you all think this could elicit a retaliatory response from the Sinaloa Cartel, especially if it was Macho that was killed, and target Sandy Beach somehow? This last question really has me wondering how they will respond.
Thus far, cartels are not known for running scared but are known for retaliation. Nothing is over until it is over. Don't rejoice just yet.

Hmmm, the chief assassin of Sinaloa goes down in PP...... we haven't seen the last of this mess.
I cannot help but think that as soon as that vehicle crossed the border (or maybe slightly before) that U.S. intelligence tipped off Mexican Authorities about the vehicle and who might have been inside. I wonder if we knew who it was inside. If not, by looking at the photograph of the SUV, it is clearly a "Cartel vehicle," with bulletproof glass. I have to believe the Mexican authorities were told who it was, or that there was a high ranking cartel member inside, because for them to use the amount of force they did it had to be something big. Correct me if I am wrong, does the Lukeville port of entry open at 5am? Would this vehicle have crossed shortly after 5am, maybe even waiting at the border before it opened? It's hard for me to comprehend why a high ranking cartel member would expose themselves to such scrutiny at the border by waiting there while being eyeballed by CBP and ICE.

Roberto

What is very very important to note is that the information about this mess that is available is scketchy and incomplete and never will be complete. The statement that it all began at Sonoyta is way way off base and Mr. Prieto has been around for many years and does not have the reputation of being the chief assassin of Sinaloa. With the newsies trolling around here it may end up reported as fact since there is little concern for accurace from that quarter.

Roberto

I cannot help but think that as soon as that vehicle crossed the border (or maybe slightly before) that U.S. intelligence tipped off Mexican Authorities about the vehicle and who might have been inside. I wonder if we knew who it was inside. If not, by looking at the photograph of the SUV, it is clearly a "Cartel vehicle," with bulletproof glass. I have to believe the Mexican authorities were told who it was, or that there was a high ranking cartel member inside, because for them to use the amount of force they did it had to be something big. Correct me if I am wrong, does the Lukeville port of entry open at 5am? Would this vehicle have crossed shortly after 5am, maybe even waiting at the border before it opened? It's hard for me to comprehend why a high ranking cartel member would expose themselves to such scrutiny at the border by waiting there while being eyeballed by CBP and ICE.
Now there's a lot of mindless conjecture contribution to the rumor mill. Maybe Scoop will report on it though.

Roberto

Unfortunately the conjectures of interested parties contributes nothing to any reality. The news folk will make good use of it though as reportable 'fodder' to puke out. I really wish people would keep their musings confined to their kitchen table. It's certainly no service to anyone to blather.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Thus far, cartels are not known for running scared but are known for retaliation. Nothing is over until it is over. Don't rejoice just yet.
My thoughts exactly. If I were the police chief, Mayor, or some other important official, I think I'd be layin' pretty darned low for awhile. Wouldn't be the first time we've seen retaliation attacks. There could easily be a convoy of Suburbans with red X's painted on the windows headed for Penasco as I type this. However, superior firepower (as demonstrated today) has a way of making for good neighbors and relationships.

Someone above mentioned Guzman. No way. The Sinaloa cartel is blessed by the powers that be and those same powers would prefer them to be the ONLY cartel (in the interest of keeping things peaceful, and of course, profitable). I'm going with odds that say the bad guys are all Zetas. They shouldn't have been in Penasco to begin with -- not their turf.

At least, that's what my Magic Eight Ball says. It never lies, but I can't stand it when it says "Answer unclear. Ask later." o_O

ben21

ummm... they just left the bodies there? If word of that gets out, it will hurt tourism as much as the shootout. Yikes

Roberto

what the fuk is wrong with the military and police to leave bodies laying around for all to see. that is just great for a family driving along and seeing that. unbelievable
They were obviously more concerned about covering the action than protecting your US sensibilities from shock.

Reactions: CJ*

rplarry

ummm... they just left the bodies there? If word of that gets out, it will hurt tourism as much as the shootout. Yikes
Knowing the showy, false bravado of the Mexican police who drive like bats out of hell in their trucks, sirens blaring and chirping, rifles hanging out the window, on their way to someone who rolled through a stop sign, it doesn't surprise me at all they left those bodies out there.

What surprises me is that they aren't out there getting trophy photo-ops with the bodies!

The way they shot up Bella Serena with those helicopters is unconscionable, and validates my prior point of their false machismo. Like a bunch of rag-tag Barney Fifes flying their toy helicopters around, shooting indiscriminately into a public area. Are you kidding me??

I am for the first time way more afraid of the untrained and highly unsophisticated police & military, than of the cartels.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
They were obviously more concerned about covering the action than protecting your US sensibilities from shock.
not sensibility just common sense. I would not consider leaving bodies and evidence on the ground with no tape around as smart in any country. It is shocking that bodies are just left there with no one putting even a cone around them or a hello kitty blanket over them.