Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

Reflecting on yesterdays events, I'd like to know if anybody feels the same way.

Granted I was not in Bella when the shots were fired, but here's my thoughts. What happened last year in Las Conchas scares me way more than what happened yesterday. What generally concerns me when traveling abroad are circumstances where tourists are being targeted. Agree? Disagree?
I feel the same way that you do. This was a situation where the govt choose the time and place. They were in control (though it could easily spin out of control). The decision to go into Bella was probably not made lightly. No doubt the time of the week and off-season was taken into consideration. I was at Bella in November so the video strikes a chord.

Like others here have said, this makes defending RP untenable for a good while. But like you, I am somehow much less rattled by this than several incidents in year's past. But the repercussions... hopefully there will be none. RP deserves much better.

Finally, a big thank you to all who contributed to this thread!

Hop David

I remember coming back from Rocky Point and hearing the news about Gabrielle Giffords and others getting shot. Googling crime statistics I see Phoenix had more than 100 murders and more than 500 rapes in a recent year. Certainly Mexico isn't crime free but it seems to me Mexican violence is exaggerated. I seem to recall a blog entry from Jim Ringquist that linked to hard stats comparing violence in different nations and Mexico was surprisingly far down the list. Does anyone know the location of that blog? If so, please drop me a line at [email protected]

I remember coming back from Rocky Point and hearing the news about Gabrielle Giffords and others getting shot. Googling crime statistics I see Phoenix had more than 100 murders and more than 500 rapes in a recent year. Certainly Mexico isn't crime free but it seems to me Mexican violence is exaggerated. I seem to recall a blog entry from Jim Ringquist that linked to hard stats comparing violence in different nations and Mexico was surprisingly far down the list. Does anyone know the location of that blog? If so, please drop me a line at [email protected]
This is a great link to the crime comparisons!
http://howsafeismexico.com/6.html

Anti Mexico travelers are always stuck on the what ifs.
they feel safe in the US only because they are protected by US laws. That is understandable. I always live by the rule act the same in Mexico as you would at home. As far as being in the wrong place at the wrong time.....I leave that up to GOD
He wants me to be happy. I am happy sipping on my chilled Tequila from the patio of my condo. :)

audsley

Anyone looking for positive spin material might want to cling on the following statement from a retired DEA agent (quoted in the Az Daily Star):

"At one point, Coulson said, Inzunza was causing problems for Rocky Point tourists — including robberies and at least one incident of rape, prompting Guzman to send people to tell him to calm down." If correct, that tells us the cartel thugs aren't free to rape and pillage in tourist areas lest they face sanctions from their own management. I'd always hoped that was the case, and maybe it is.

As for me, I can either lay around the house waiting for a piece of plaque to break loose in an artery, or I can go to Mexico where I'll be entertained while having an extremely remote chance of being shot. I'll take the latter. But that's just me.

JimMcG

No one can can guarantee that any location is absolutely safe whether in Mexico, the US or elsewhere. A better consideration might be whether Puerto Penasco is any less safe than anywhere else. No matter where we visit anywhere in the world, it is incumbent upon all of us to be aware of our surroundings and act accordingly. This incident will have no impact on whether or not I visit Penasco as I plan on coming down after Christmas.

It was only a few years ago that Carnival stopped porting in Mazatlan due to the heavy cartel presence.
I love it there and have some friends that moved down and live there now.
I had one scare there back in 2003 where I thought our tour van was being hijacked. Turned out to be some friends of the driver that were messing with him.
My friends say they feel safer there than they did in the US.
So I say lets all head down to Rocky Point :D

playaperro

El Pirata
So how many of them lived 3, there's one being treated (DEA) at UA medical center, I wonder if they would of run if them knew gunships were waiting for them.

If that were the case, I believe the cartel would turn to other things to support their organization so as to continue their survival. Prostitution, vehicle thefts, robbery, human trafficking...
A bit, but just like the end of Prohibition in the U.S., the cartels would be greatly reduced. As long as you have humans, you will have appetite for drugs. It's the government's Prohibition that causes the problem.

mis2810

So how many of them lived 3, there's one being treated (DEA) at UA medical center, I wonder if they would of run if them knew gunships were waiting for them.
DEA? One of our guys was involved? How do we know about the US involvement in this? Someone mentioned that Obama commented on it, but I never saw that - only stuff on local news. Can someone post a link?

Roberto

DEA? One of our guys was involved? How do we know about the US involvement in this? Someone mentioned that Obama commented on it, but I never saw that - only stuff on local news. Can someone post a link?
Ditto. Anyone have a reference indicating direct US Fed involvement in this disaster? I recall seeing something somewhere but cannot come up with it today.

playaperro

El Pirata
I guess my post came off as a misunderstanding, the DEA is holding one of the suspects injured here in Tucson, News 4 reported that. By the way The Fool had his own corrido, I guess he went out the way the song says.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Here is what I remember seeing. OK Joe, whaddaya know. Got he tape, got a reference ?

I apologize, I believe I read it wrong. It was at the bottom of this article that was circulating yesterday. However, ABC15 did say it was part of a federal investigation before they came on at 6pm last night. I assume that meant we collected information and shared it with Mexico. Or the more likely scenario is that Macho was becoming a liability and Chapo uses the CIA when he needs someone out of the crew. Like others have said, it was pretty well known that he was living there and everyone knew.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/12/mayo-zambadas-sicario-chief-el-macho.html?m=1

JoseAz

or he meant that is was a the federal department of Mexico that was leading it rather than the local police.....