Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

Roberto

OK so the Obama reference came from the Boarderlandbeat hysterical rumor mill and was stuck in the middle of a description of the event yesterday dispite the fact that Obama's comments were made in 2011 and you misunderstood and passed it along???

So since the Dog has clarified taht he was NOT referring to a US DEA agen in the hospital in AZ, there is no indication at all that the US was involved in any way as far as we know.

“Macho Prieto” is the plaza boss for that whole desert area, said Anthony Coulson, who headed the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration’s Tucson office until retiring in 2010.

If he was the person targeted by Mexican authorities, Coulson said it had to be a well-organized effort. And, he noted, the apparent use of the Mexican navy indicates U.S. government involvement.

If Inzunza was killed during the operation, Coulson doesn’t expect to see a fight for power because everything is well controlled by nation’s most-wanted drug lord, Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, he said.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the location of said military base in or near PP. From the Google earth view.
Just wonder how close it is to Sandy Beach and what is looks like

A video with a few more pics that I haven't seen. The silver truck now appears as though it is inside the front gate which means they were firing into the resort from the helo. The truck is on the BS cobblestone which means it's sitting in front of the gate or the truck is still on the inside of the resort.

http://www.elblogdelnarco.net/2013/12/video-imagenes-de-el-macho-prieto.html
It's starting to sound like the Kennedy assassination all we need is a grassy knoll.
Just kidding.
A clip on that site mentioned that Macho Prieta eluded the cops by stealing US plated cars. Hence the reference to California plates on the car.
Another clip said they are really going to step up efforts to ensure this will not happen again as the tourists are to important to the local economy.
I have a suggestion not sure if it is practical. Have one security control on the road to sandy beach covering all the resorts.

Roberto

Naval base is on the NW side of the harbor entrance. You can see a small patrol boad moored there. Marines may be stationed there, not sure. They have a small hospital off Benito J near the harbor. There has been a large encampment out at the base of Sierra La Pinta but I believe they are army. Marines were out at Ejido Lagrimis but moved to an unknowned location months ago.

Roberto

I think it's that huge 4 or 5 story orange building right by Reggies.
Nope, that's Army married housing. Seldom trucks or equipment there. Next to that to the west is Naval married housing, lots of small homes walled and gated with guard gate. Again you do not see equipment there.

It's starting to sound like the Kennedy assassination all we need is a grassy knoll.
Just kidding.
A clip on that site mentioned that Macho Prieta eluded the cops by stealing US plated cars. Hence the reference to California plates on the car.
Another clip said they are really going to step up efforts to ensure this will not happen again as the tourists are to important to the local economy.
I have a suggestion not sure if it is practical. Have one security control on the road to sandy beach covering all the resorts.
I have another suggestion a bit more far out.
We barricade Sandy Beach and hoist the American flag.
We all don coonskin hats.
We man the barricades with shouts of "remember the Alamo"

Property manager just got back in Bella. I knew my front door had been broken down. I just found out they were using my balcony for gun fire. Tomorrow they will clean up and fix my unit. No one knows if my insurance will cover that. My friends in Oregon think I live a very exciting life.
Puerto Penasco "Come for the tequila stay for the excitement" God it writes itself.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Sorry to hear mary. Hopefully the repairs go smoothly. I am sure the situation is more intense for you. Unfortunately some use this as an opportunity to attempt jokes that are truly not appropriate or even funny.

Sonora

A bit, but just like the end of Prohibition in the U.S., the cartels would be greatly reduced. As long as you have humans, you will have appetite for drugs. It's the government's Prohibition that causes the problem.
Substitute murder for drugs and you could say the same thing. That's how stupid it sounds.

I have spoken to three Bella Sirena residents who were there yesterday when the poop hit the fan. All three are in agreement that at no time did a helicopter fire into the resort. Two of them consented to taped interviews to be played on Saturday's Rocky Point Ramblings. The copter did fire at bad guys in the vacant area between Bella and the Sonoran Sun...could that have looked like "shooting into a densely populated area"?

Canuck

Vent all you want. I get it. I just want to keep things as close to the truth as possible. Someone else on here says the shots he heard were from a helicopter. I've pointed out that the helicopter was shooting INTO THE DESERT. The shots could clearly be heard in the condos. In the video, where the shots ring out...please note you cannot hear copter rotors nor is there movement in the bushes to indicate the rotors are near.
With all due respect, did you witness this? My wife and I did, as I had gone out our backdoor to see what all the helicopter noise was - it was hovering somewhere around the Cholla Bay Rd but we couldn't see it as no lights were on.

However when the gatling gun revved up, then started firing it was most definitely in the direction of the Sonoran Spa. The sound of bullets hitting metal and ricocheting all over was not something we would have made up. They were using 'tracers' and there is no doubt that they were firing towards the condos - maybe a bit further down the road - but towards the condos nonetheless. They were obviously closer to us than the Bella Sirena.

This gatling gun firing continued for a couple of hours on and off, and when dawn arrived we could see the choppers. Automatic weapon fire continued on and off for another 2 hrs with sporadic small arms fire as well.

We eventually found a notice online from the US Consulate warning us to stay inside until we got the all-clear (which never came). Then I found this forum.

You can spin this anyway you would like, but the bottom line was we were in fear of our lives, and didn't have a clue what was happening. We sat on the floor of our bathroom for awhile, every time I cam out to see what was going on, firing sent me back. My wife was hysterical and I couldn't calm her down - she was convinced they were shooting at us.

The security guards were scrambling for cover as well (don't blame them as they are unarmed) but at no point in time did anyone check on us or our well-being. We later saw an elderly lady wandering around the Spa lot looking like she had 'lost' it but we didn't want to leave the condo to help her.

You can say "great job, they got the bad guys" but unless you experienced the sheer terror of having a military grade weapon firing so close to you you will never understand. It was surely as intense as any military operation in a theater of war.

Good on the military for getting them, and that apparently no tourists or workers were physically hurt - but this should have never happened the way it did - even at a time when the complexes are sparsely populated.

We have safely left Mexico, but the emotional scars will last for awhile. And by the way, if you want to call me a 'wuss' - go ahead - I'm a retired cop - and in all my years never saw anything like this and was never scared so much. If you are military trained you should be able to cope with gunships firing near you in the theater of war - but not as a tourist hoping for a quiet holiday in a safe, hassle-free destination.

Up to Wednesday morning we enjoyed ourselves, but it's not likely we will be back to Mexico anytime soon, and certainly not PP.

Take that conclusion any way you want - signing off...

The Canuck

Last edited:
I have spoken to three Bella Sirena residents who were there yesterday when the poop hit the fan. All three are in agreement that at no time did a helicopter fire into the resort. Two of them consented to taped interviews to be played on Saturday's Rocky Point Ramblings. The copter did fire at bad guys in the vacant area between Bella and the Sonoran Sun...could that have looked like "shooting into a densely populated area"?
What's rocky pint ramblings?

Channel 12 news in Phx had some additional close-up higher-res photos of the villa. (not posted on any of the sites I checked yesterday).
There was a combo of .223/5.56mm, 30 cal. and a larger caliber rounds used on the villa. The door frame showed both
.223 and 30 cal holes in the door frame. (I am a shooter and use different caliber rounds so I can tell the difference)
Not that this matters, just for clarification.
I was amazed at the bullet proof glass in the silver truck/SUV.
There was some serious firepower used for this, was it over done, that will be debated for a long time.
Hopefully the result of this is that remainder of the cartel people/families staying in RP will re-locate elsewhere. Wishful thinking! :)

Sorry to hear mary. Hopefully the repairs go smoothly. I am sure the situation is more intense for you. Unfortunately some use this as an opportunity to attempt jokes that are truly not appropriate or even funny.
I am sorry you find my lame jokes inappropriate. I was trying to use some humor to kind of defuse what has been a very stressful event.

I had no intention of offending anyone. I also was here when it happened. In fact I started this thread. I have tried to contribute useful info as well as get the views of others.
If anyone was offended by my somewhat lame humor I apologize.