Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

mis2810

I was there staying at Las Palmas 305 when it happened. Saw plainclothes people in the parking lot acting real sneaky (peeking around corners) stashing pistols under a truck in the parking lot, then coming back to get them. Same guys were run off by security, then police kicked in 105 (2 floors directly below) and found machine guns w/grenade launchers on them. Right where they were previously. I really think we may have seen 2 of the 'bad guys'.

Later saw the new Rolls out there talking to 2 men, when everyone else was taking cover.

Left Las Palmas at 2:00 to go eat downtown, packed up before we left. Took photos of all the shot up cars along the way. (5 of them) went to Bella Sirena taking photos of the outside and cars when a fellow told me about the shot up bulletproof glass SUV inside the complex. Decided to walk down and take some photos....Ooops Mexican military (brown camo) snagged me immediately on my walk down to it. They noticed my camera.

First 2 guys spoke no english and called for another guy (I'm by myself) who does speak english. "Did you take photos?" Only of the palm trees here...I replied. "SHOW ME" he demanded. I had to show him my photos. All the shot up cars, helicopters....empty bullet casings. He said "You know in Mexico you can go to jail for taking these photos....I can call my boss over here" I replied with a that's Ok, I'll delete them no problem, sorry.

he was asking my name, what type work you do? where you live? WHY you take these pictures? Luckily I had some photos of food from lunch, and some condo photos. Otherwise I think I would have been in a heap of $%#% Tense moment, for sure.View attachment 6507
Just reading this over again. Not doubting you Rick, just a question. So this Rolls was in the parking lot at the Sonoran Sea and whoever was driving was talking to the two men like nothing was happening at all during all this shooting? The two guys outside the car don't seem to be concerned at the sounds of gunfire - by their body language. Just curious from your viewpoint, what you think?

Rick S

Just reading this over again. Not doubting you Rick, just a question. So this Rolls was in the parking lot at the Sonoran Sea and whoever was driving was talking to the two men like nothing was happening at all during all this shooting? The two guys outside the car don't seem to be concerned at the sounds of gunfire - by their body language. Just curious from your viewpoint, what you think?
Shooting wasn't going on at this moment, but it wasn't over long before it. They were the first people we saw out moving around after. Other than the guys with guns.

Kenny

Shooting wasn't going on at this moment, but it wasn't over long before it. They were the first people we saw out moving around after. Other than the guys with guns.
It sure seems they knew something that the people hiding in their bathrooms didn't; looks like a ghost town.

Eric

Ive seen the Rolls Royce around RP a lot. I was told by RP Dan, real estate agent in RP, that he knows the person who owns the RR & its only an American who owns a place in Sandy Beach who drives it in occasionally. A top Cartel guy is gonna be in a big heavy truck w/ full armor like the one that was shot up. Hard to keep a low profile & blend in driving a RR....

Kenny

Ive seen the Rolls Royce around RP a lot. I was told by RP Dan, real estate agent in RP, that he knows the person who owns the RR & its only an American who owns a place in Sandy Beach who drives it in occasionally. A top Cartel guy is gonna be in a big heavy truck w/ full armor like the one that was shot up. Hard to keep a low profile & blend in driving a RR....
Well he's either fearless, stupid, or both!

Canuck

that's what I used to say too, Todd.

But helicopter gunships don't open up with mini 50 cal's in populated tourist areas in the U.S.

If you have never heard-seen one of these, it's the craziest $#& you'll ever hear, or see. Guaranteed...

The light in the parking lot right below us was hit.....bullets were flying.
" it's the craziest $#& you'll ever hear, or see. Guaranteed..."

I agree 100%, we will never forget the sound, hail of bullets and the fury unleashed by that gun. The things you saw at Las Palmas, and the OP 'Weird scene' has me now thinking about some of the stuff on Tuesday afternoon and evening we saw.

For example, there was a new security guard at the main gate, this after almost a month. Despite the pass on our dash and our wristbands he insisted on seeing our ID. Weird?

There are other strange things that happened that evening, but I think with all the unknowns it is only conjecture - not facts. Besides, what's the saying? Disgression is the better part of valour?

I think the less that is said about this now, the better - like many posters have said we will likely never know the whole story, or even close to it.

mis2810

He wasn't trying to keep a low profile. It was widely known he was living in RP. What some people are not understanding around here is that a guy like Macho Prieto is not afraid of the police, the army, etc.. He is/was THE LAW. They control all those people you think they're hiding from. We're not talking about some petty thief who the police are going to get and throw in jail for a year. The law is on their payroll. They are the bosses. The army went in to get him because he pissed off the guy he reports to. Think about the Italian mafia back in the day. Were they afraid of the police? NO! The police worked for them. It's the same situation, but magnified by a million.

Rick S

I was told by a Bella Sirena resident that the Silver Toyota Rav 4 blocking their gate was the DEA's car.

I can't believe Macho could live openly with the DEA knowing he was there, and they let him slide?

Seems like the Mafia used a single shot to the back of the head to off someone. Why all the drama in this case?

mis2810

I agree 100%, we will never forget the sound, hail of bullets and the fury unleashed by that gun. The things you saw at Las Palmas, and the OP 'Weird scene' has me now thinking about some of the stuff on Tuesday afternoon and evening we saw.

For example, there was a new security guard at the main gate, this after almost a month. Despite the pass on our dash and our wristbands he insisted on seeing our ID. Weird?

There are other strange things that happened that evening, but I think with all the unknowns it is only conjecture - not facts. Besides, what's the saying? Disgression is the better part of valour?

I think the less that is said about this now, the better - like many posters have said we will likely never know the whole story, or even close to it.

I think that thinking back over the events prior helps to explain a lot. What other things did you think back on and notice that were out of the ordinary? When my husband and I were down over T-giving we noticed the same type of helicopter buzzing over the ocean and then over the desert behind the resorts. We both commented how we'd never seen that before. Later in the day my husband asked a vendor about it and the vendor said that lately they had been doing that a lot. Preparing for this mission so that it wouldn't seem out of the ordinary when it finally happened? Who knows? But we certainly thought it was strange at the time.