Unauthorized Checkpoints on 8 to Rocky Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Use this letter and send it to the Warden in Nogales, obviously insert your name and change whatever you want to personalize it. The message from the :Warden" is a lie and is just to instill fear.

Consul General
Consulate of the USA, Nogales
US Department of State
Nogales, Sonora, Mexico
[email protected]

Dear Mr. Consul General,

Disturbed and disappointed by the Warden Message dated May 19, 2010 published by your organization, I consider the message to be erroneous, inflammatory and uninformed, and I am forced to believe that an unsupervised consulate employee, who has an ax to grind with either Mexico or Mexicans, or both, published the message without proper supervision. I can imagine how embarrassed you must have been when you read the message.

With the current delicate state of relations between the USA (in particular Arizona) and Mexico, and in consideration of the large number of American visitors and property owners in Puerto Peñasco/Rocky Point, my expectation is that the office of the Consul General will assure that everything published by his organization will be informative, factual, and of value. The Warden Message dated May 19, 2010 is none of these. If the announcement were not so harmful to tourism in Puerto Peñasco, and in all the communities along both sides of the border, and therefore to the livelihoods of thousands of people, it would be laughable, and we would all be asking, “This warning is a joke, right?” Sadly, the warning is not a joke, and is clearly intended to incite fear in travelers, and to keep them from visiting one of northern Mexico’s most beautiful, friendly, and safe destinations.

Since reading the message in question, I have spoken to a large number of people from Arizona, Texas, Colorado and California, all of whom have driven to Puerto Peñasco in the past week. All entered Mexico via the Lukeville port of entry; they entered at different times of day and night, and NOT ONE reported being stopped, or detained, or in any way bothered along Highway 8 between Sonoyta and Puerto Peñasco. While there have been incidents, one in December 2009 involving Americans, and another in early May involving a Mexican, considering the thousands of trips made monthly between Sonoyta and Puerto Peñasco, two incidents since December is a very low number.

Please issue a correction to Warden Message dated May 19, 2010. The correction should state that there have been NO verified reports of detention, injury or death by aggression against Americans along Highway 8 between Sonoyta and Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point, and that Highway 8 should be considered safe for travel to Puerto Peñasco. As well, the correction should strongly encourage motorists to call 066 from their cell phones if they have an emergency.

I appreciate your attention to this matter, and I look forward to reading the correction.

jerry

FROM A REGULAR COMMENTER ON THE bORDER REPORTER AFTER HE SAW THE FAKE REPORT:
ilegal Reply:
May 23rd, 2010 at 6:31 pm

yeah, it was made up from an article and comments written in this site when Michael was warning people about illegal check points in the Sonoran desert and he asked the readers for tips about what could they do if they find themselves pulled over at one of those check points while travelling through Sonora.

Kenny

I sent a copy of it to Rosie the day before it was posted on here, Saturday, and I'd assume she knows about it by now... Like I've said from the beginning, no way would we not know about something like this with all the contacts the people on this forum have. That being said, I can certainly understand why someone would post it on here looking for confirmation, that's part of the reason we're here.
I also sent a copy to Jerry, and as you can see above, he ran it past the very knowledgeable people on the border reporter web site.

Last edited:

Kenny

The correction should state that there have been NO verified reports of detention, injury or death by aggression against Americans along Highway 8 between Sonoyta and Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point, and that Highway 8 should be considered safe for travel to Puerto Peñasco.
Though I like your idea Russ, in light of the incident with the people from Canada, this paragraph could very easily be looked at as false. No they were not detained, or injured, but to me it reads as if that incident was of no consequence, and never happened. I would think we need to be straight up with this thing, or be accused of exactly the same thing as those you are directing your letter to, misinformation.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I copied this letter from one that was already sent. I dont write that well. The Canadian couple was addressed not dismissed. As far as what we are doing on the ground...We have called a meeting of all who have interest in this issue and we are meeting today, this afternoon. We are doing something about this. I dont know how much we can do but it is not just one or two people it is a very large group and I would not be surprised if local government is not there as well. As of Saturday morning all local officials have been receiving request and information from local business owners on this matter. It is of high importance and timely as this weekend coming up is Memorial day. If there is something later to post I am sure you will see it here by Rosie or someone else. We are doing what we can in light of this perfect storm of controversy

playaperro

El Pirata
Russ, your heart is in the right place, we are here because we care about the people of Puerto Penasco. Realize that you sometimes want and do you best to dismiss concerns. And that is what will bug an independent mind. You are growing on me, but that letter is an attach and misses the point. Do you really think a lackey has the power to post anything on a Consular website? It was the Warden himself that authorized this, he may assumed some one did his research. Someone with authority needs to question, not attack or assume.

We must question theose statements "pertaining to Route 8" since they were repeated multiple times on mass media in Arizona, TV and web. Look at the US embassy Website, and shooting did take place, but not in Sonora!

I would target the Governor of PP, and ask him to demand an explanation, you are assuming some one did this maliciously, (rose colored glasses), and assuming the Consul is incompetent. (Your attack)

When you attach, the first response by the other party is defense.
And when in a defensive posture your ears are the first to go.
What is the Governor of PP name so I can write to him...

S

Submarine

Right now I'm thinking about all of those trips I've taken where there were burned out hulks that used to be vehicles on Hwy 8: cars, trucks, RV's; and not one word on here, other RP sites, or on the news. Maybe I should have slowed down and looked for shell casings and bullet holes.

"Heads in the sand, heads in the sand, it all looks so much better with your head in the sand...."

Kenny

Gee Sub, you forgot to tell us about all the carnage you've encountered. Why not? How many years have you been posting with many of us Sub, and yet you, the shy quiet guy just choose to keep your mouth shut for a change, and just not mention it? Lets talk credibility here, K?

Last edited:
S

Submarine

Easter 2009 on my drive back there was a burned out truck and trailer just after 'the curve'. If I had to guess I would say every third trip I go down I see carnage. Usually if you look at the road surface or shoulder you can see where a car-b-q occurred. Don't you think it's kind of odd that so many vehicles catch fire on Hwy 8?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I for one do not get sub at all but like I am supposed to? He obviously hates it here so bad and feels so unsafe why would he hang out here?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I was referring to Sub saying he has seen burned out cars. I have never seen one on all my 40 years that I can remember.

S

Submarine

Gee Sub, you forgot to tell us about all the carnage you've encountered. Why not? How many years have you been posting with many of us Sub, and yet you, the shy quiet guy just choose to keep your mouth shut for a change, and just not mention it? Lets talk credibility here, K?
\
I think you are confusing me with Cactus.

mis2810

Okay, so a friend just e-mailed me the article from the AZ Republic. I was down there 5/13-5/17 and we had a great time - nothing out of the ordinary at all. I make it a point not to drive on Highway 8 at night. In all my travels in Mexico my only rule is not driving on the highways at night - whether it's on the cuotas or the libres.

So is this story a fake? I hate what the media is doing to PP!

Roberto

I was referring to Sub saying he has seen burned out cars. I have never seen one on all my 40 years that I can remember.
It is obvious that some people have one song to sing and that's what they sing, over and over. What's in their mind is more important than the reality outside. It's all black and white, no grey. Hey if they believe it , it must be true, they're always right ya know.

I saw a car that had burned one time on 8. I've never seen a motor home. I saw a flipped RV trailer one time too, skid marks all over the place after a curve. They were OK too, no shots fired. I've seen more on the highways to Caborca, Hermosillo, San Carlos, Kino. I came across one burning fiercely on the highway to Caborca. We stopped to help, The van appeared to have overheated or shorted out. The people were unharmed and unmolested except for the fire. Car maintainance is way down on the list of priorities of many Mexicans. Seeing cars pulled off the highway with flat tires, steaming open hoods in not uncommon, especially in the summer.

BIG MAC

The timing of this is uncanny. Right before a holiday weekend. Very similar to the campaign just before spring break 2009. The message of be afraid and spend your money in the states is being sent out by the state department yet again.

S

Submarine

Ah, so now you want to distort my posting. I didn't say any of the vehicles were shot up, I said they had caught fire and burned up. What caused it I don't have any way of knowing because I didn't stop. Next time you bet I will with camera in hand. Maybe I'm just lucky because I have personally put out 3 car fires (not my cars) which is why you will always find an extinguisher in my truck.

I just called my girlfriend and asked her if she remembered anything about the trip back from RP last Easter and she brought up the burned up trailer. She couldn't remember if it was a toy hauler or travel trailer, but definitely remembered it being between the 'rest area' where that cocaine shootout occurred in the 90's and that barrio town on 'the curve' (I can never remember the name).

You all drive a lot slower than I do but try looking next time for the charred ground and asphalt. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It's time everyone got off their high horse as if this forum is the end-all/be-all for information about RP. Don't get me wrong, it's a good source, but not everything gets posted up here. Think about the recent truck thefts where there was even one reluctant poster that had to 'admit' there was a truck stolen outside Black Dog. What else is being held back?

Didn't anyone learn anything from Watergate? Hiding the truth only makes it worse.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
The timing of this is uncanny. Right before a holiday weekend. Very similar to the campaign just before spring break 2009. The message of be afraid and spend your money in the states is being sent out by the state department yet again.
2 thumbs up, the timing is crazy isn't it. After it is all said and done (after the weekend) there will be a retraction and clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.