Unauthorized Checkpoints on 8 to Rocky Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Submarine

No doubt, because soooo much money is lost due to the massive numbers of Americans flocking to Mexico.

Wait, maybe the IRS is behind it! Or maybe the BATF! They are pissed about all that duty free liquor and cigarettes we buy.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
If you drive in Mexico (not just to Rocky Point), you'll see some pretty bad wrecks from time-to-time. Yes, you can see them in the U.S., too. However, roads (meaning the actual construction of) are far better here in the U.S. Many of the main roads in Mexico are unforgiving and deadly due to the way they are built. The road to Rocky Point on the Mexican side is not the norm at all. It's built like a U.S. road and is now a cakewalk to drive. It has shoulders, the curves are graded, and it's well-marked. I'm sure many of you remember the clip-clop concrete trail that used to be the road to Rocky Point. The worst thing you have to fear on this road now is other drivers.

However, take Mex 1 down Baja. Or drive Mex 15 to Mazatlan. Or any of several other Mexican highways. Mexacali to San Felipe is another good one. There are no shoulders on most of these roads. The roads are also elevated. If you misjudge for a second and run off the edge, say goodnight Gracie, you're in for a pretty nasty wreck. You'll find sections of roads with potholes that can swallow a truck. I've seen Volkswagens to semi trucks badly wrecked, some burnt, along all of these roads. It's a dangerous drive during the day, let alone at night. And unlike the U.S., there's always the possibility of cattle being in the roadway at night. Those reasons, more than "banditios" or illegal checkpoints, are why you shouldn't drive at night in Mexico.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
If you drive in Mexico (not just to Rocky Point), you'll see some pretty bad wrecks from time-to-time. Yes, you can see them in the U.S., too. However, roads (meaning the actual construction of) are far better here in the U.S. Many of the main roads in Mexico are unforgiving and deadly due to the way they are built. The road to Rocky Point on the Mexican side is not the norm at all. It's built like a U.S. road and is now a cakewalk to drive. It has shoulders, the curves are graded, and it's well-marked. I'm sure many of you remember the clip-clop concrete trail that used to be the road to Rocky Point. The worst thing you have to fear on this road now is other drivers.

However, take Mex 1 down Baja. Or drive Mex 15 to Mazatlan. Or any of several other Mexican highways. Mexacali to San Felipe is another good one. There are no shoulders on most of these roads. The roads are also elevated. If you misjudge for a second and run off the edge, say goodnight Gracie, you're in for a pretty nasty wreck. You'll find sections of roads with potholes that can swallow a truck. I've seen Volkswagens to semi trucks badly wrecked, some burnt, along all of these roads. It's a dangerous drive during the day, let alone at night. And unlike the U.S., there's always the possibility of cattle being in the roadway at night. Those reasons, more than "banditios" or illegal checkpoints, are why you shouldn't drive at night in Mexico.

I am going to hate myself in the morning but Stu that was an excellent post, thank you!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yeah, the other drivers in big a$$ pick ups towing toy haulers that blow your doors off passing you when you are going 70! I remember the old road, too, no shoulders and big a$$ potholes. I also remember broken down vehicles half off the road with no lights and livestock in the road. The road is WAY better now but I quit driving in Mexico at night now. I'm alone and it just ain't worth it.

Terry C

Unreal

• “Stay calm, put up your hands, and comply with demands.”

The alert said that “motorists who have not stopped at unofficial checkpoints have been shot at and killed.”

SunDevil

so has anyone on here encountered any "unauthorized checkpoints" at night or during the day for that matter?

one question to ask is how would anyone know if they were "unauthorized" or not.

also, if motorists have been shot at and killed at these "unauthorized checkpoints", I am guessing there would have been a lot more PR about this subject, especially from the state dept and not from the "yucatan osac".

finally, my guess is that most of the people on this forum are pro-RP but I would hope that any dangerous or suspicious beheavior would be reported as an FYI to all.

so back to my original question, has anyone experienced any checkpoints that they believe were "unauthorized"?

Thanks.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
NEVER! I am back and forth to the US many times a month day and night and I have never seen it. I am pro RP yes, but I have a responsibility to tell the truth too! If there was an issue that involved the safety of people coming here it would be reported on I am confident. I am here on the ground. I talked to someone of authority who is a Mexican local and he listens to the news everyday and there has been nothing on the news here in RP that he has heard. I think if it was real we locals would have been informed, this is not something you cover up. We are meeting today, we will discuss the matter and the facts will be shared here for everyone to see, good bad, or ugly!

S

Submarine

I agree, that road is in much better condition that any I have driven, and actually better than Hwy 85 in my opinion. It also doesn't have the heavy truck traffic so that makes the burnt out cars that much more curious. Again, I am not sayig with any authority what caused these fires.

BTW, the Government I know was letting Calderon walk all over us last week. But this week they want to deep six Mexico travel?

Kenny

The worst thing you have to fear on this road now is other drivers.
Hands down Stuart, and that's what all of us who have gone down frequently, and for years think too.

Sub, my problem with your post was that you said we were putting "our heads in the sand" and ignoring what you seem to think were signs of foul play, and that you had seen it often. I disagree, and think you are being as the politicians say "disingenuous". Now as far as the conspirisy thing is concerned I agree with you. I also think Jerry has a good handle on it all as far as the politics of it are concerned.
Oh, good! Now the AZ star has a article as well. Nothing is going to undo the damage that's been down now. No amount of denial is going to mean squat!

Last edited:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Heavens to Murgatroyd! Stop the madness already! Now, I'm getting calls and e-mails from friends and colleagues begging me not to go. Even after I explained it was all a bunch of hooey, some of them insisted that the government and media wouldn't lie to us. One of them started crying and another got MAD at ME!! ARGH!

Last edited:

Kenny

has anyone experienced any checkpoints that they believe were "unauthorized"?
I've known many of the people on this forum for years, and trust me, if that would have been happening to them, or anyone they knew, it would have been posted on here and fast!
The reason I didn't post that bull at first, and some others didn't as well, was because we just couldn't imagine that being a righteous report. Some very intelligent people thought it must be some kind of hoax.

Last edited:
S

Submarine

Excellent post Sundevil!

Did you read in the newsabout the accountant for that non-rental condo property next to Playa Bonita being found dead in the desert outside RP? No? What about the men murdered and mutilated recently? No?

Yup, you can rely on the media.

I've been stopped at many a checkpoint, unlike Russ I guess. Boys who looked about 16 in fatigues with M-16's and M-60's. No official sign to be seen, no insignias on the uniform either. I'm sure those were all official. I guess Russ gets advance notice of all 'official' checkpoints.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Where at, Sub? Not on the road to RP! I have never been stopped, not once on that road in 40 years!

S

Submarine

Hands down Stuart, and that's what all of us who have gone down frequently, and for years think too.

Sub, my problem with your post was that you said we were putting "our heads in the sand" and ignoring what you seem to think were signs of foul play, and that you had seen it often. I disagree, and think you are being as the politicians say "disingenuous". Now as far as the conspirisy thing is concerned I agree with you. I also think Jerry has a good handle on it all as far as the politics of it are concerned.
Oh, good! Now the AZ star has a article as well. Nothing is going to undo the damage that's been down now. No amount of denial is going to mean squat!
I said I had seen burnt out cars often and that is true. I always assumed they were accidents.

As far as heads in the sand, the main reason to discredit this 'warning' seems to be that no information was posted here. It's already fairly obvious to me that there is definitely an effort to suppress negative information, and flood this forum with positive information. I like information, positive or negative.

I noticed you didn't email that warning to me Kenny. I first heard of it here.

Kenny

I noticed you didn't email that warning to me Kenny. I first heard of it here.
None of the people I sent it to posted it on here for good reason, because unlike what you would have done, they were trying to find out about the truth to it, and see if it was a hoax or not. In a nut shell, I didn't think you were responsible enough to react to it a rational manner. That could be why I didn't send it to you, but it's not.LOL... The bottom line is that it was not true, those things did not happen on the road to PP...Your original post about the burnt out cars etc was nothing but a perfect example of "yellow journalism". Now after the head in the sand remark you say, "I always assumed they were accidents", could have said that earlier, don't ya think?

Last edited:

Manny Sanchez

Vir sapit qui pauca loqui
No doubt, because soooo much money is lost due to the massive numbers of Americans flocking to Mexico.

Wait, maybe the IRS is behind it! Or maybe the BATF! They are pissed about all that duty free liquor and cigarettes we buy.
Sub, i think you need a Tequila shot, when your in RP look me up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.