Unauthorized Checkpoints on 8 to Rocky Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberto

so has anyone on here encountered any "unauthorized checkpoints" at night or during the day for that matter?

one question to ask is how would anyone know if they were "unauthorized" or not.

also, if motorists have been shot at and killed at these "unauthorized checkpoints", I am guessing there would have been a lot more PR about this subject, especially from the state dept and not from the "yucatan osac".

finally, my guess is that most of the people on this forum are pro-RP but I would hope that any dangerous or suspicious beheavior would be reported as an FYI to all.

so back to my original question, has anyone experienced any checkpoints that they believe were "unauthorized"?

Thanks.
To your first question: No, neither I nor friends, family and clients have ever reported being stopped at what might be described a 'suspicious' Checkpoint on Highway 8. There have been checkpoints set up in the past, usually close to Penasco, with flashing lights, lots of police, etc. I have been stopped at official looking military checkpoints both permanent and temporary throughout Sonlra over the years. Part of life here.

You comment about 'unauthorized' is a good one and it reflect back to the author of the "Warden's message" as that word was used there. Authorized by whom and yes how could you tell. Very poor choice of words.

In addition ot the media's obsession with negative Mexico news and an apparent drive to report problems as often as possible, it is difficult for me to believe that should these shootings and attacks have occured and gone unreported in the media that some family member would be raising holy H*** about it. I would, wouldn't you? I guess one could argue that these victims of these attacks were all without friends and family and no witnesses were available.

I don't have a problem passing on real, warnings. I do take the time to check them out before I might pass them on to others for a real reason. In this case it arrived as a forwarded e-mail, bereft of any 'official' logos, etc. It was a plain text message, with some publicly available links. A phone number appeared at the top, 502 prefix. I phoned that number and got a voice mail "Hi this is Bill I'm not in", I checked some of the links at the bottom of the message and they did in fact link to offical Govt. sites but nowhere did I see anything except the 'boilerplate' warning messages about travel in Mexico. I guess I missed the link to the Warden's message page.

My first question was "Did this message actually come from a govt. office or was it more crap?' Because of the absence of any 'official Govt." logos on the initial message I got (the presence of which would have made sending the message a criminal matter, not just more internet bullshit) and because I phoned the number and got no official greeting, and because 2 of the internet sites I visited had no specifics on this alleged problem, my first inclination was that it was Bogus because I came to think it did not come from an official site. Now that it is clear that it is an official government message, that does not mean that those events alluded to actually occured. It says 'there have been reports', were the reports investigated and confirmed bere they were passed along. Now I think not. I think the Warden needs a warning from his supervisor and perhaps some training in writing and thinking.

Yes, if there is a problem people need to be informed, and yes it is much too easy to pass on crap via the internet. Everybody's an expert on everything !:mexico::mexico::deadhorse:

Roberto

I phoned the Consular office in Nogales. The author of the Warden's messages was not available, I asked to speak to her supervisor. I identified myself as an American Citizen, living in Puerto Penasco. and spoke to the head of American Citizen's Services about the messages. I asked her to please re-read that message about Highway 8, that the language was very poor and I found it inaccurate and inflammatory. I pointed out that the US Govt should be very concerned about providing US citizen's abroad with timely, accurate information. Why was this message released with 'unconfirmed' reports She assured me the messages were approved in Mexico city and Washington. I can't tell you who I was speaking to other than by title. No names are revealed, 'due to security reasons' . Anonymous writier, anonymous supervisors. I pointed out that it was very bad when the US Govt. is afraid of it's citizens. What would happen if you refused to give ID to a Government official. I'm wearng a bag over my head and refusing to reveal my name next time I cross into the US, 'for security reasons" , then we'll see what they will do.

OK, these people at this level are just trying to do their job, I guess. The complaint needs to go higher on the food chain.

Scott

Honestly, regardless of the authenticity of this article, I still feel safe in RP. We have NEVER had an issue down there.

We have a large group heading down on the 8th -- and I cannot wait!!!

jerry

Very well said Jerrry all unconfirmed....
Playa it must be hard to see your team (Republicans) ruin our relationship with mexico (your home)
You guys need to take your party back from the talk radio crowd.If we are every frog marched back to the border it will be the fault of the racist hate-mongers in the Republican parties orbit

jerry

wow looks like I'm wrong and it is a real report....sorry my mistake I now have to add the democratic party state department flacks in Nogales appointed to office by our Kenyan president.
It is still bullshit.Heck the last time I came back via Altar-saric I didn't see any non-military checkpoints...burnt out vans...everywhere

V

VacationVanessa

This is freakin' ridiculous. All of these news stations and papers dolling out this "newsworthy" item as real journalism when it's based on UNCONFIRMED reports makes them less of a reliable news source than TMZ. What's next? Perez Hilton reporting live fom the Hwy 8?

A

AZrockpoint

Looks like the AP has picked up on this story. Also, the "Consulate" wants to hear from victims. Does this imply that they never spoke to a victim in the first place???

Since this has turned into a political discussion, this is another good example why we need less government not more.

Warning issued for road to Rocky Point
by Associated Press (May 24th, 2010 @ 9:47am)
TUCSON, Ariz. -- The U.S. Consulate in Nogales has issued a travel warning for people heading to Puerto Penasco, Mexico.
Authorities are warning of unauthorized police checkpoints set up at night along Highway 8 between Sonoyta and the beach community.
The Consulate was told by those moving through the checkpoints that drivers were asked to show identification before they were allowed to pass.
The Consulate is urging people to travel on Highway 8 only during the morning and early afternoon hours.
The U.S. government says if you are stopped at a checkpoint in Mexico, do not resist, cooperate fully, stay calm and comply with demands.
The Consulate also wants to hear from victims.
Puerto Penasco, or Rocky Point, is a favorite vacationing spot for Arizonans.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
They say they want to hear from victims which leads me to believe they have none so far. Also if you want to hear from someone you make it as easy to do so as possible.

V

VacationVanessa

I just got a call from my mom freaking out about us going down in 18 days (not that I'm counting). I had to tell her about ten times that we're crossing the border about 11:30 and will be meeting two other cars in Gila Bend and always grab a few other folks in Lukeville to caravan down with. Seriously, I'm thinking of sending the "warden" my mother and telling him I won't take her home until he rescinds his unconfirmed warning.

Roberto

Yep, this is the most fun the news has had in quite awhile. Please stop fooling yourself if you are a US broadcast "News" consumer. It aint news and has not been for a long time. They tell you what they think will garner eyes and ears and advertising dollars. The information content is close to ZERO. Turn off the TV.

How about a headline "US Consumers Warn of FAKE News "

State Dept. warns of danger on highway to Rocky Point
[SIZE=-1]KGUN
... the main road to Rocky Point, by "unknown persons at night. ... driving on Highway 8 between the US/Mexico border and Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point). ...
[/SIZE]
Warning issued for road to Rocky Point
[SIZE=-1]KTAR.com
The US Consulate in Nogales has issued a travel warning for people heading to Puerto Penasco, Mexico. Authorities are warning of unauthorized police ...
[/SIZE]US warns of 'unofficial checkpoints' on Rocky Point route
[SIZE=-1]TucsonSentinel.com
... checkpoints on Highway 8 between the border and Puerto Peñasco. ... has ever come across my desk about a fake checkpoint on the road to Rocky Point, ...
[/SIZE]US Consulate warns of "fake" checkpoints in Mexico
[SIZE=-1]KSWT-TV
TUCSON, AZ May 24 - The US Consulate in Nogales has issued a travel warning for people heading to Puerto Penasco, Mexico, better know as Rocky Point. ...
[/SIZE]

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
It was probably the Red Cross guy throwing his collection can at a passing car and the tourist thought it was a rouge checkpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.