another Travel Warning?

Roberto

Following is a comment I left for Mr. Marizco and his story. Let's see if it gets 'moderated'

Roberto says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.

May 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm
Unbelievable Michael. Your story is rife with exaggerations and distortions. Titilating but inaccurate. We met at noon or so here in Penasco, I am an American, what time did you start looking? How did you get from your 3 pm meeting with Rafael to the shooting so fast? You have storytelling and reporting confused Michael. “The Mexican army stormed through town”. (BTW, I’ve NEVER seen a ROTATING TURRET on one of the military vehicles here in Penasco). Did you see that Michael or did you guess or just make it up? Where is the video you refer to ?
BTW, that shooting was reported in the local press, the next edition carried the story. Here’s the link. http://www.numerounoonline.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7137:cae-otro-narco-urbano&catid=42:razz:uerto-penasco&Itemid=109
How could you put Veronica and her child at risk by repeating that she know who the killers are. Oh that’s right you did not use her last name did you? How nice, everyone in town knows where she works and who she is Michael. You might as well have followed her home and reported her address as well. Storytelling is different from reporting Michael. Don’ t contact me for help again. Your veracity is gone completely as far as I’m concerned. Did you make up all that other crap in your description on this site too?
You should be ashamed of yourself.

MIRAMAR

The writer of the story is an ex-Arizona Daily Star reporter- enough said. It is exactly this type of reporting, filled with distortion and exageration, that caused my husband and I to cancel our subscription. I wish there still were another paper in Tucson. We only get the Wall Street Journal now- the only paper I believe still has credible reporting.

jerry

Crap!!!!!! The writer is a friend of mine and it looks like he may have sort of rushed this one...So what is the back story on the waitresses husband?i don't know, it might make her safer if the killers think their names are out there.You would think the police chief would just arrest them. Weird job when you think about it (reporter) lots can go wrong if you try to do your job.Something goes wrong in my job and i just tell them the imperfections are all part of the natural beauty of concrete.

Roberto

Crap!!!!!! The writer is a friend of mine and it looks like he may have sort of rushed this one...So what is the back story on the waitresses husband?i don't know, it might make her safer if the killers think their names are out there.You would think the police chief would just arrest them. Weird job when you think about it (reporter) lots can go wrong if you try to do your job.Something goes wrong in my job and i just tell them the imperfections are all part of the natural beauty of concrete.
I don't like dramatic language for news reports. Ought to be neutral descriptions. I think he did not find an interesting story so he had to embellish.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
i just tell them the imperfections are all part of the natural beauty of concrete.
Same story you use for the dents in your skull, huh? (Sorry, couldn't resist!!!) Bwahahaha!
:jerry2: :jerry2:

You'll forgive me when I buy one of your places in Santo Tomas. :cluck:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
It is exactly this type of reporting, filled with distortion and exaggeration...
Try finding anything in the news media these days that ISN'T fully-injected with the author's personal opinion or obvious political slant one way or the other. Just for the fact that I'm old-school and like to read the paper in the morning, I keep the AZ Republic. But, man-oh-man, there are some mornings I just want to wad it up in disgust at both the quality and tone of the reporting. It's horrible!

By comparison, I grew up with GOOD newspapers - the Philadelphia Inquirer and the old Washington Star. I don't ever remember them having the bias that I see in today's writing.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
My follow up to Mr Marizco after reading comments here.

Well looking at the forums it seems that i was right on your "Style" of " reporting". You did write a story to inflame, not to help. At the same time you probably caused some problems for people that wouldn't have occurred had they never met you. Like I said in my earlier email I usually like your stuff, but i think you s t r e t c h e d on this one to gain some scare footing. You may have lost more than a few readers.......Stay true to your work. The damage is done.
--
Penasco Recreation Sa de Cv
Tour guides, Penasco Promoters
Russ Black
Puerto Penasco - Sonora, Mex 83552
Mex Office 638-388-5004
Mex cell 638-113-4591
AZ Cell 928-203-6180
Skype # 928-257-3432

Try finding anything in the news media these days that ISN'T fully-injected with the author's personal opinion or obvious political slant one way or the other. Just for the fact that I'm old-school and like to read the paper in the morning, I keep the AZ Republic. But, man-oh-man, there are some mornings I just want to wad it up in disgust at both the quality and tone of the reporting. It's horrible!

By comparison, I grew up with GOOD newspapers - the Philadelphia Inquirer and the old Washington Star. I don't ever remember them having the bias that I see in today's writing.
I get sick watching any of the local news programs....the facial expressions and vocal inflections....they're not reporting....they're "acting"!!!! One of them...and I'm sure any from Phoenix knows which one it is, have to end each "story" with "telling like it is"....as if they had to amplify that the story is factual and impartial!!! Are they trying to convince themselves? HA!

V

VacationVanessa

I'm impressed with everyone's response. It really shows how much everyone here knows about what's going on. Valuable info. So appreciated.

Of course, the fact that Veronica's husband had his fingernails ripped off and was shot scares me. Yes, this stuff happens all the time in Phoenix, but in such a small town, it still at least makes me want to ask questions.

Well this is disturbing. Marizco has a very poor memory or he is just lying for the story. Unless he got up at 5 AM looking for Americans. I met with him around noon, he wanted to interview me but I declined. I set up his meetng with Raphael 'Pino' Noriega who is managing the Portifino's location. He met with Pino at 3. He had already met with the waitress referred to. I think he put her at increased risk by mentioning that she said she saw the killers of her boyfriend. Everyone in town knows who she is and where she works. He did gain a dramatic moment by mentioning that she saw the killers but at what potential cost. He certainly is not concerned about her or her child. That really pisses me off.

How he found out about the shooting and got there after his meeting with Pino and before they were all gone is beyond me. I think the bit about threats from the military was bullshit too. Anything to increase the drama. And yes, he says it was not reported but it was.

To me this kind of distortion goes beyond irresponsibility, I think it is a criminal act. I now believe that he is an attention seeker and whoring to the media for attention and money. I think all the crap he writes on the Border Reporter is just that too.
Thanks for the insight, Roberto. This clown has lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Roberto

Here's Marizco's editors reply. Guess he does not think the story inflamatory or that it put Veronica at increased risk, but he does regret disturbing me so much !!

Roberto,

This is Peter O'Dowd. I'm the News Director at KJZZ, and the editor who worked with Michel on his story. First, I'm sorry you had so many concerns about the piece. In the time that I have worked with Michel, I have found his reporting to be solid and accurate. Michel breaks stories regularly that hold up in both national and international press. His work to uncover the video in the piece you heard about Rocky Point is an example of his tenacity as a reporter.

We stand by the story. We went over the details before they were published. We discuss policies about using names regularly -- in this case it was the source's decision to use her first name. Still, I also regret this story caused you so much discomfort. Journalism can be a tough business. We often don't make friends when our stories come out. We hope you understand.

--
Peter O'Dowd
KJZZ News Director
480.774.8463 - O
602.828.2742 - C

Twitter: odowdpeter

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
As read between the lines:

"F you, it's news... and we really don't give a flying F who gets hurt in the process."

Roberto

Changed my mind, but I will go along with the following.

"F you, we'll make up whatever we want, we need the exposure... and we really don't give a flying F who gets hurt in the process."

V

VacationVanessa

HUGE thanks to all of you. Like I said, your knowledge base is amazing. I love the fact that I can come here, ask the big questions and I get not only quick answers but answers that are solid and without a doubt based in fact because you are all there day in and day out. THAT is what makes me feel good and makes me feel safe. One member of our large group was getting a little weirded out because of this guys article. The good thing is that the more of this crap that gets out there that is easily refutable the more it shows how skewed reporting is on what's going on down there.

Y'all rock.