Deported Mexicans Social and Economic Effect on Puerto Penasco

I resemble that remark....and I only lived in NJ for a couple of years!!!!:rofl::stir:

And I am so fed up with the politically correct way of describing the ethnic/racial background of individuals.....
How would you describe people of different ethnic/racial backgrounds?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Most deportees go back where they came from, Penasco being a small town with lots of work never had to many go illegally to begin with and a large percentage have papers to cross legally. The deportees I am talking about are not from Penasco.

I am really interested in your opinions no matter what they are on this subject. I personally know some awefully nice women and children who have been deported back to Mexico. In several cases the husband in the family is legally here or an American citizen. The families may have 1/2 of their children that are American citizens and the other 1/2 were born in Mexico. The families are now completely separate. When we were in PP last month, I had conversations with many of the people that we met in public and asked them their stories. (I am as friendly in person as I am on this forum.) About five of the people that we talked to told me that they were deported. All of the people I talked to were working in public. They all behaved in a gentile and polite way. They were all separated from other family members.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
To immigrate to the United States legally is very simple when you are married to an American, but it does take time-for my wife it was 9 months 100% of the people that have problems bring it on themselves by either something they did or didnt do and usually it was something stupid then they sit around and cry about it. I have the same problem with my stepdaughter. I shouldn't say I she has the problem she's 31. As far as the kids are concerned they may qualify and not know it for the child citizenship law that Clinton signed in 2000. Immigration will not tell you about this law.

Last edited:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
How would you describe people of different ethnic/racial backgrounds?
If in the north american continent it should be done as follows:

-Native North American Indian

-Other

Where "Other" will include any other race that is not pure Native North American Indian.

We must remmeber than in North, Central and South America we are all americans not only in USA, and as the name says United States of America.

Last edited:

mis2810

To immigrate to the United States legally is very simple when you are married to an American, but it does take time-for my wife it was 9 months 100% of the people that have problems bring it on themselves by either something they did or didnt do and usually it was something stupid then they sit around and cry about it. I have the same problem with my stepdaughter. I shouldn't say I she has the problem she's 31. As far as the kids are concerned they may qualify and not know it for the child citizenship law that Clinton signed in 2000. Immigration will not tell you about this law.
Just goes to show how much you know. You obviously don't have any recent experience with this.

Janet...any discussions on the subject tend to get very emotional and people always seem to bring up "humanitarian" reasons to rationalize the matter, or resort to name calling, such as "bigot" or "racist".

I also know several "nice people" that are probably in the US illegally, or have moved back to Penasco after being in the US illegally. What does that really have to do with the topic?

The people you were talking about (with a spouse that is in the US legally) had the opportunity to go through the "process" to become legal....no matter how cumbersome it may be. The same can be said for those who had the opportunity in the previous "amnesties" that we have gone through. They did not.....they knew that they were illegal (or for the PC folks....undocumented), and the risks they were subjecting their families to. They were reaping the benefits of living in the US. Now, is it our fault they are being caught or are fearful of getting caught and have gone back to Mexico? Should I feel sorry for them if their families are split?

I also know several hispanic American citizens who are angry with their government and with the illegals.....they, or their parents, went through the "process" to come here legally. They now feel cheated. I may not be hispanic, but I also went throught the "process" with my parents....the legal way. They didn't feel that it was their "right" to be accepted in this nation without coming here legally.

Now as for who is to blame for all of the people coming to the US illegally....we can probably agree that the blame rests with the Mexican government, the US government for it's lackadaisical enforcement of the laws, and with US business with it's desire for cheap labor......and indirectly you can probably extend that to the US consumer, since that cheap labor has been made available....

trade

I can take you some night through Penasco Nuevo or the populated areas of San Rafael and you will see what I mean. I bet you wouldn't get out of the car let alone roll the windows down. I know the difference between Juan the farmboy with his innocent face and the look of a criminal. We have a lot of deported criminals in penasco.
Our Community center is in the middle of Nuevo Penasco and we have been there many nights with no problems the people are for the most part the same as any other neighborhood, friendly and helpful. We also work in San Rafael and know many wonderful people there. We have been doing this now for 11 years and not only do we roll our windows down but we get out of the truck and actually interact with the people. Yes we do this at night! The biggest problem other than the adults having to acclimate themselves to Mexico is the children. Many of them have a poor grasp on the Spanish language and have to learn how to read and write in Spanish. The schools are now helping the children get up to speed. Several of the family's we met were in the US legally however had to move back to Mexico because of lack of work and the expense of renewing their visas.

Our Community center is in the middle of Nuevo Penasco and we have been there many nights with no problems the people are for the most part the same as any other neighborhood, friendly and helpful. We also work in San Rafael and know many wonderful people there. We have been doing this now for 11 years and not only do we roll our windows down but we get out of the truck and actually interact with the people. Yes we do this at night! The biggest problem other than the adults having to acclimate themselves to Mexico is the children. Many of them have a poor grasp on the Spanish language and have to learn how to read and write in Spanish. The schools are now helping the children get up to speed. Several of the family's we met were in the US legally however had to move back to Mexico because of lack of work and the expense of renewing their visas.
So "Trade", what percentage of the people in Nuevo Penasco can you estimate are deportees or returnees from the U.S.? What other issues do they have besides the lack of Spanish for the children? Have them been jobs for these families that returned? When I was there in PP, I met at least five returnees that were employed. Is that typical?

So "Trade", what percentage of the people in Nuevo Penasco can you estimate are deportees or returnees from the U.S.? What other issues do they have besides the lack of Spanish for the children? Have them been jobs for these families that returned? When I was there in PP, I met at least five returnees that were employed. Is that typical?
Trade, can you tell us about this Community Center and what is done there? What other services are available?

I'm right there with you on this Harold... and I mean that literally... we have many good friends that live in this area, in fact while visiting one of them just the other day I ran into RIC (from this forum) obviously he felt is safe out there as well...

lagrimas85 what part of Penasco are you talking about???

trade

I can't give you a pecentage figure but I don't think it's a large one in Nuevo Penasco as it is a somewhat older and more established neighborhood. Some of the kids have a very hard time as you can imagine going from the opulence of the US to no stores no 100 channels of TV and for some no electricity or running water. The people that are returning seem to be able to find jobs and by Penascos standards good ones thanks to knowing English and having a good set of work skills. The center is located on Lazaro Cardenas y Ave. 54 we have ESL classes for adults & children, classes on domestic violence, Bible study classes (we just finished a week long Vacation Bible School for the kids and the adults. Even the mayor of Penasco came and gave a impromptu lesson on Tuesday about the importance of believing in yourself and never giving up. We distribute 3 to 4000 lbs of food per month from the center. We have also taught sewing classes that were a great success and will be doing more in the future. If you or anyone would like to see it you can set up a time with us or Mark (Seadweller) just PM me and I will give you our phone numbers.

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
I am really interested in your opinions no matter what they are on this subject. I personally know some awefully nice women and children who have been deported back to Mexico. In several cases the husband in the family is legally here or an American citizen. The families may have 1/2 of their children that are American citizens and the other 1/2 were born in Mexico. The families are now completely separate. When we were in PP last month,.........
Something does not sound right, if a husband is a legal US citizen, he can petition to bring his wife, her/his children, his mother/father to live and work permanently in the USA, using a Green card. There is specific guidelines to provide proof with affidavit the entry of the person will not be a burden to society. In the case of a wife, the wife is a true wife and not a sham marriage. (greencard the 1990 romantic comedy movie)

Many non document parents go to US to have children, and then use the separation argument that they can not leave the US based anchor baby. The AZ republic had an opposite story, the father leaving his wife and children in the US while in Mexico petitions for entry as his children and wife are under undue stress with out him. He Graduated as an Engineer from ASU, but since he did not have papers was not hirable in the US.

Last edited:

dmcauley

Immigration can be a very easy process , depending on how you go about it.I chose to bring my wife and also her kids to the USA to emigrate back in 1996 when all the laws were changing and there was a much longer wait. It took my wife's older son 8 years because he aged out and had to jump through more hoops.
Yes, it can be done easily now, but not always w/o problems.
As far as the deported immigrants. 90% that you see on the streets pimping or begging are indeed a criminal element. Lagrimas stated this as fact and I know it to be fact. I am not saying 90% of the deported. The fact is that we don't see them all on the street because they have never been street people and probably never will be.
Further, my son's wife is being deported even tho she is married to a citizen and has 2 children. He cannot convince the idiots that he will suffer "extreme" hardship
if his wife is deported. I am very biased when it comes to immigration and even tho' I believe strongly that our borders need to be protected. I believe there should be a road to citizenship for the good people.

Jim

It is not that simple. It is a lot of red tape. It's a lot of hurry up and wait. And it is expensive. I went throught the process with my wife almost 14 years ago. We finally hired an immigration lawyer to expediate the process and make it easiie. Also, I have had several deported people apply for jobs at the bar. None of them seemed like bad violent people and we hired one of them. One guy who has become my friend owned 2 auto body shops in California. He had been there for something like 20 years. I'm all for legal immigration, but that is just wrong.

mis2810

Immigration can be a very easy process , depending on how you go about it.I chose to bring my wife and also her kids to the USA to emigrate back in 1996 when all the laws were changing and there was a much longer wait. It took my wife's older son 8 years because he aged out and had to jump through more hoops.
Yes, it can be done easily now, but not always w/o problems.
As far as the deported immigrants. 90% that you see on the streets pimping or begging are indeed a criminal element. Lagrimas stated this as fact and I know it to be fact. I am not saying 90% of the deported. The fact is that we don't see them all on the street because they have never been street people and probably never will be.
Further, my son's wife is being deported even tho she is married to a citizen and has 2 children. He cannot convince the idiots that he will suffer "extreme" hardship
if his wife is deported. I am very biased when it comes to immigration and even tho' I believe strongly that our borders need to be protected. I believe there should be a road to citizenship for the good people.
I have first-hand knowledge of the "process". I petitioned for my husband and yes, I had to file an I-601 waiver of inadmissibility and prove extreme hardship to the US government in order for my husband to get a green card. It is not an easy process. I was one of the lucky ones - He was out of the US and in Mexico for only 2 months last summer and my waiver was approved immediately at the 2nd interview. The standards for proving extreme hardship are VERY high. They are ranked by "levels". Serious illness to the petitioner (US citizen) being the highest levels. Financial hardships rank very low at a Level 3. If your waiver (i.e., hardship letter) is not "clearly approvable", you are referred to what is called the "backlog". The backlog is where literally thousands of applications and hardship letters sit for sometimes up to 18 months waiting for the adjudicator to perform a more thorough review of your hardships. At the end of this backlog period there is no guarantee that just because the immigrant is married to a US citizen he or she will be approved for a visa. Yes, even married to a US citizen, the immigrant spouse can be DENIED a visa. During this backlog, the intending immigrant waits in Mexico separated from his or her family and children. I have personally witnessed the undue hardships this puts on families. Just the fact that having US citizen children does NOT guarantee the immigrant a visa. So, the "anchor baby" theory is nothing but absolute right wing rhetoric bullshit.

My hardship letter/waiver packet took me 5 months to prepare. The letter itself was 18 pages not including the summary, table of contents and index list. I had 70 exhibits showing proof of my extreme hardships attached to the packet. Experienced lawyers charge anywhere between $5,000 and $10,000 US DOLLARS to prepare these waiver packets. It is not an easy undertaking. I work in the legal profession so I did my own packet - it was more difficult than preparing a thesis.

Quite a few people hire lawyers with no experience in the I-601 waiver process, are completely misinformed, and are ultimately denied a visa. This is what happened with the guy in the AZ Republic article. Unfortunately, he's still being given bad information because they chose to appeal their denial, because refiling is a much quicker process, rather than filing an appeal.

If you have any questions about this, I'm happy to answer them. It's amazing how many people think that just because an immigrant marries a US citizen or has US citizen children, they are automatically granted a visa by the US government.

What a joke.

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
Thanks for sharing mis, I have a few ?'s for you if you don't mind sharing your knowledge about becoming legal.