Deported Mexicans Social and Economic Effect on Puerto Penasco

Yes I do she had just left my wife and was not drunk. We can talk about it later Joe and you are right about her driving anybody that I cared about was banned from getting in the car with her, Drunk or not.
If you have different info, I would like to hear it some time.....you also might give the same info to Marty (of Margaritavilla). Although they had broken up a while before her death, I know he is still carrying a torch for her and took her death very hard.

Maybe you also have some "info" on the death of Arturo who was the karoake dj over at Margaritavilla? There were rumors that he was actually beaten to death at the old El Sombrero......where he was working at the time. Another troubled soul...alcohol problem, but a great person to know.

PM me....
Sorry folks for going Off Topic......but both of the individuals were friends of mine and my daughter.....

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Joe, I knew Arturo is it true he was thrown of the second story of the El Sombrero? Sorry I didn't read your post correctly. Jessica told me he had been thrown off the second story. P.S. At Jessicas viewing every mafioso in town showed up and each of them to act like bigs shots said they were going to pay for her funeral well none of them did and my wife paid for it. You said she was a great person and she was.Toby and her unfortunatley met on my boat. what a disaster from the start it was bad.

Last edited:

mis2810

Sorry Wahoo, you are mistaken. If someone is illegal in the country and they have a US citizen spouse and they only entered illegally one time and you can prove extreme hardship that person will be granted a green card. My husband will have his green card for exactly one year next Tuesday and that's exactly how we did it.

We filed the original paperwork while he was still here in the US, and when our time came we went to our appointment in Ciudad Juarez. At the first appointment people who are EWI (entered without inspection) to the US are initially denied a visa but told that they are eligible to file a waiver of inadmissibility. See my previous post in this thread for that process.

mis2810

I never said it can not be done, but that is when it becames HARD, You went to Cuidad Juarez so you applied outside not inside. My point is you need to apply from the outside not inside.
You said once someone enters illegally they are barred for life - that is not true. We did not apply outside. We originally applied from the US in 2006 and my husband lived here illegally until 2009 we left the country 2 days prior to his interview in Ciudad Juarez.

It's amazing the drift from the original subject of this thread. Over the last couple of years, I have encountered a number of Mexicans in Rocky Point, mostly working in the stores, with a very good command of the English language. I usually compliment them on their English ability, and ask them where they learned their English. Invariably, they reply that they had lived in the US for a period of time, and were either deported back to Mexico, or voluntarilly returned. I usually don't press for details. One shocked me by volunteering that he was a heroin dealer in Los Angeles, fleeing from the law. According to an ICE friend, because of the increasing illegal alien sentiment in the US, many living here illegally are self-deporting, the majority of those in the current wave with some kind of criminal record hanging over their head.

Sure, some families are broken up because of a family member living here illegally, getting caught, and subsequently deported. The same happens when a family member commits a crime, gets convicted, and is sentenced to prison. Since there is a way for a US citizen to bring a spouse legally into the US, one shouldn't whine about getting caught breaking the law. Do it right, or pay the price for stupidity.

mis2810

I stand corrected, that was a generalization and you brought up good points.

MIS 2810 that is a great forum... thanks.
Thanks Wahoo. It says a lot about a person's character when they can admit that. Most people don't know how it really works. In fact, most people think that once someone marries a US citizen they automatically become a citizen as well. I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain that it's not that way anymore.

If it weren't for that forum I don't know what I would have done. It's not only a wealth of information, they were my lifeline through the most stressful period of my entire life. For people going through the process only other people who've been through it or are going through it really understand just how hard it is. In fact, one year ago tonight I was trying to finish up my waiver packet. My husbands appointment was on the morning of August 6th. He was in Mexico City and I was here in Phoenix alone. It was hotter than hell out and the air conditioner in my house broke. I thought I was going to die from stress and heat stroke. I still had to pack for the trip to Juarez and finish the letter. Some of the women on that forum that I'd never even met that live here in the Phoenix area offered to let me stay at their house for the night so that I'd have air conditioning! Can you imagine the generosity? I had too much to do to take them up on the offer, but it made me feel good.

My flight to Juarez was at 8:00 in the morning and I was sitting in the airport in Terminal 4 at Chili's at 6:30 a.m. drinking ice cold Coronas and trying to finish up my letter! Aaaaahhhh memories.

Now, my husband has been legal for one year. We can travel, and begin to plan the rest of our lives hopefully without fear. Although, with the way things are in Phoenix, I'm still afraid. My friend Joe Arpaio rounds people up and asks questions about their legal status later.

I just found out this afternoon that the lady I know at my local Starbucks returned to Guadalajara with her husband and 3 US citizen children. She couldn't stand living with the fear any longer because she and her husband were both illegal - but their kids weren't. So much for the "anchor baby" theory.

Last edited:
mis - Give me a break. Joe Arpaio doesn't just "rounds people up". All his raids are conducted on the basis of court warrants, signed by a judge. Neither you nor your husband have nothing to fear. After all the time, effort, and expense that you have put in to getting your husband legal residence status, you should be resentful of those here illegally, and desire for them to be dealt with in accordance with the law.

Mexican spouses of US citizens (or foreign US permanent residents) go to the head of the line to obtain US Permanent Resident status. There are two ways of doing it: If you live in the US, and your foreign spouse has a B1/B2 Laser Visa, you can bring her here and apply for a "change of status" through your local Immigration office. This is not the "official" way of doing it, but it will work, at a higher cost for fees.

The "official" way is to apply for US resident status for your spouse before you bring your spouse into the country. This is what I did, even though my spouse had a B1/B2 Laser Visa. It was a real pain in the ass, and took about two years to complete the process, which I started while we were both living in Mexico. I had to import my spouse through the US Consulate at Ciudad Juarez, which was a farce because she was legally in the US by virtue of her Laser Visa, we drove to El Paso, and crossed over into Ciudad Juarez to complete the process.

I fully support any laws to rid our country of ALL illegal aliens. These laws are intended to protect our country, and those here legally. These laws have absolutely NO impact on my foreign wife. As far as being required to carry proof of immigration status, federal law requires ALL non-US citizens legally in the US to carry either their visa or Permanent Resident card. In Arizona, an Arizona Driver's License is adequate proof of legal residence for local authorities. For security reasons, I have instructed my wife NOT to carry her Permanent Resident Card routinely in public. Should the need ever occur, she will be able to produce it.

mis2810

Mis2810- just curious, but how can an illegal work at Starbucks? Did they have an illegal SS number?
It's a fake number they use. I could go out and buy a social security card, alien registration card, and AZ driver's license tonight for a total of $100. It's unbelievable. Some of the numbers are real - that is identity theft, but the majority are not. It doesn't work with companies that use the e-verify system, and more than 50% of the companies here in AZ still do not use it. That's what frustrates me more than anything. Why not go after the employers?

As for still being afraid, well, I am. My husband looks the same today as he did before he was legal. If the factory where he works is raided I have no doubt he will be taken to a detention center. Then it will be up to me to find him in the system and prove that he is not illegal. In the end, of course, we will prove it, but can you imagine spending days in a detention center knowing you didn't have to and were taken in based on the way you look?

mis2810

Mexican spouses of US citizens (or foreign US permanent residents) go to the head of the line to obtain US Permanent Resident status. There are two ways of doing it: If you live in the US, and your foreign spouse has a B1/B2 Laser Visa, you can bring her here and apply for a "change of status" through your local Immigration office. This is not the "official" way of doing it, but it will work, at a higher cost for fees.

The "official" way is to apply for US resident status for your spouse before you bring your spouse into the country. This is what I did, even though my spouse had a B1/B2 Laser Visa. It was a real pain in the ass, and took about two years to complete the process, which I started while we were both living in Mexico. I had to import my spouse through the US Consulate at Ciudad Juarez, which was a farce because she was legally in the US by virtue of her Laser Visa, we drove to El Paso, and crossed over into Ciudad Juarez to complete the process.

I fully support any laws to rid our country of ALL illegal aliens. These laws are intended to protect our country, and those here legally. These laws have absolutely NO impact on my foreign wife. As far as being required to carry proof of immigration status, federal law requires ALL non-US citizens legally in the US to carry either their visa or Permanent Resident card. In Arizona, an Arizona Driver's License is adequate proof of legal residence for local authorities. For security reasons, I have instructed my wife NOT to carry her Permanent Resident Card routinely in public. Should the need ever occur, she will be able to produce it.
I sure hope that if your wife is ever in the wrong place at the wrong time that the police, sherriff's deputies, or ICE decide to believe that her AZ driver's license is real and sufficient. Otherwise you're making a trip to the detention center. BTW, it's a Federal law that all Legal Permanent Residents must carry their Alien Registration Cards with them at ALL times. She should carry the card with her and have a copy of it at home.

Why not support the law that's been in effect since January 1, 2007 that was supposed to prosecute employers that hire illegal aliens? Why treat the sympton and not the cause of the problem? Huh?

Last edited:
I stand corrected, that was a generalization and you brought up good points.

MIS 2810 that is a great forum... thanks.
Although I like ms2810 very much and yes, everything she is saying is very interesting, I have to take all the credit for this interesting thread. You all have surpassed my best expectations. I did not know the law that you are mentioning, because as I said before, the immigration officer that did our Mexican national daughters' case years ago, lots of years ago, did all the paper work for us. We had to leave the country for two days to reenter legally. Believe me, we were really nervous because even then they or we could have been turned down, and we weren't. The atmosphere was much more positive then now. MIS 2810, my prayers and good wishes are with you throughout this whole process and with all others that have led good lives and deserve to achieve the dream.

mis- You are needlessly "crying wolf". You are restating what I wrote about the federal law requiring foreign residents to carry their immigration documentation. Law enforcement authorities are too busy rounding up the real offenders, to indiscriminantly round up lawful residents based on racial (ethnic) profiling, clearly against the law. I am absolutely confident that my wife will never encounter a problem proving her resident status in town during her normal daily activities. Her Permanent Resident card will remain secure in our house, unless we travel out of town.

ICE raids are conducted only after sufficient investigation leads to evidence that illegal aliens are employed at a business. The illegals are already identified and targeted. I can assure you that no matter the appearance of your husband, before or after he obtained his residence status, he will not be detained based on his looks as long as he can prove his resident status with a valid Permanent Resident Card.

I can just imagine how you feel about driving through a Border Patrol highway checkpoint with your husband. These guys do "racially profile". Frequently, they look at the people in the car, and wave you along, based on their visual evaluation, without asking any questions. I feel for how your sense of insecurity spills over on your husband.

Federal authorities have recently been focussing their raids on employers of illegal aliens, without detaining the employed illegal aliens, which they don't even encounter. ICE is required to give an employer three days notice before auditing employee records. The employer is then given the "opportunity" to fire any illegal aliens identified in the audit.

Local law enforcement authorities base their raids on enforcing the AZ state law against using false identification. Sufficient evidence must be collected in order for a judge to sign a warrant authorizing these raids.

mis2810

mis- You are needlessly "crying wolf". You are restating what I wrote about the federal law requiring foreign residents to carry their immigration documentation. Law enforcement authorities are too busy rounding up the real offenders, to indiscriminantly round up lawful residents based on racial (ethnic) profiling, clearly against the law. I am absolutely confident that my wife will never encounter a problem proving her resident status in town during her normal daily activities. Her Permanent Resident card will remain secure in our house, unless we travel out of town.

ICE raids are conducted only after sufficient investigation leads to evidence that illegal aliens are employed at a business. The illegals are already identified and targeted. I can assure you that no matter the appearance of your husband, before or after he obtained his residence status, he will not be detained based on his looks as long as he can prove his resident status with a valid Permanent Resident Card.

I can just imagine how you feel about driving through a Border Patrol highway checkpoint with your husband. These guys do "racially profile". Frequently, they look at the people in the car, and wave you along, based on their visual evaluation, without asking any questions. I feel for how your sense of insecurity spills over on your husband.

Federal authorities have recently been focussing their raids on employers of illegal aliens, without detaining the employed illegal aliens, which they don't even encounter. ICE is required to give an employer three days notice before auditing employee records. The employer is then given the "opportunity" to fire any illegal aliens identified in the audit.

Local law enforcement authorities base their raids on enforcing the AZ state law against using false identification. Sufficient evidence must be collected in order for a judge to sign a warrant authorizing these raids.
Oh how I hope you are right! Do you think I want my husband to go through that? I can't explain to you why I feel this way, feelings are sometimes unexplainable - but I don't have any problem at all going through the border or through immigration in the airport with my husband. In fact, I look forward to it because I know how hard we worked for the opportunity to become legal. I feel absolutely proud when we roll up to the border in Sonoyta and I roll down my window. Then I get to do it again when we get to the 2nd checkpoint - I love it! Those CBP agents are never anything but absolutely nice to us - I've never had a bad experience with them in all the years I've been crossing with or without my husband.

For some reason I feel that CBP and the local authorities are 2 different animals, though. I can't explain it. Maybe I watch the news too much, maybe it's because for every immigration article I read, when I look at the comments below they've become increasingly hateful to downright violent. The article on Yahoo news about the latest numbers in Mexico's narco war totalling 28,000 came out yesterday. There were comments from people saying there are 12 million more Mexicans in the US that need to die. Is this really 2010? This sentiment towards Mexicans in general is what has made me feel insecure. I don't talk about this with my husband either, just so you know. He's a very intelligent and sensitive man and I'm sure he knows better than I how it feels - no need to dwell on it with him.

MIRAMAR

Mis2810- I just wanted to hear from you that that this person illegally bought a fake Social Security Card. You stated: "I just found out this afternoon that the lady I know at my local Starbucks returned to Guadalajara with her husband and 3 US citizen children. She couldn't stand living with the fear any longer because she and her husband were both illegal - but their kids weren't", and then stated the woman bought a fake social security card and illegally used it, and some how I'm supposed to feel sorry for her that "she couldn't stand living with the fear any longer because she and her husband were both illegal - but their kids weren't"? Do you think she might have been concerned about getting arrested for identity theft? What if that was my social and I had a credit problem because of her? What was the point you were trying to make?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Although I like ms2810 very much and yes, everything she is saying is very interesting, I have to take all the credit for this interesting thread. You all have surpassed my best expectations. I did not know the law that you are mentioning, because as I said before, the immigration officer that did our Mexican national daughters' case years ago, lots of years ago, did all the paper work for us. We had to leave the country for two days to reenter legally. Believe me, we were really nervous because even then they or we could have been turned down, and we weren't. The atmosphere was much more positive then now. MIS 2810, my prayers and good wishes are with you throughout this whole process and with all others that have led good lives and deserve to achieve the dream.
You could seriously do some damage to one of your arms reaching around and patting yourself on the back like that.

Oh how I hope you are right! Do you think I want my husband to go through that? I can't explain to you why I feel this way, feelings are sometimes unexplainable - but I don't have any problem at all going through the border or through immigration in the airport with my husband. In fact, I look forward to it because I know how hard we worked for the opportunity to become legal. I feel absolutely proud when we roll up to the border in Sonoyta and I roll down my window. Then I get to do it again when we get to the 2nd checkpoint - I love it! Those CBP agents are never anything but absolutely nice to us - I've never had a bad experience with them in all the years I've been crossing with or without my husband.

For some reason I feel that CBP and the local authorities are 2 different animals, though. I can't explain it. Maybe I watch the news too much, maybe it's because for every immigration article I read, when I look at the comments below they've become increasingly hateful to downright violent. The article on Yahoo news about the latest numbers in Mexico's narco war totalling 28,000 came out yesterday. There were comments from people saying there are 12 million more Mexicans in the US that need to die. Is this really 2010? This sentiment towards Mexicans in general is what has made me feel insecure. I don't talk about this with my husband either, just so you know. He's a very intelligent and sensitive man and I'm sure he knows better than I how it feels - no need to dwell on it with him.
I also think that it is sad that anyone as good as MS2810 should ever have to feel insecure and unsafe in our country. Shame on Arizona. The same feelings that you have MS2810, my daughters would have if they came down from Alaska where they live with their families and even travel through Arizona. This summer when we visit, we probably will be driving north to meet them instead of them driving south through Arizona to visit us.

I also think that it is sad that anyone as good as MS2810 should ever have to feel insecure and unsafe in our country. Shame on Arizona. The same feelings that you have MS2810, my daughters would have if they came down from Alaska where they live with their families and even travel through Arizona. This summer when we visit, we probably will be driving north to meet them instead of them driving south through Arizona to visit us.
And our daughters are American citizens and have been since they were 12 and 10 years old.