How Is It That...?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
...a pick-up truck with a whole Mexican family in the open bed of the truck can go whizzing down the road no problem, but my son stops at the checkpoint in Sonoita and has to pay a $40 fine on the spot because one person in the backseat of the truck doesn't have a seat belt on? The Sonoita Revenue Enhancement Project strikes yet again... it's no wonder so many people get disgusted with this bullshit, out-and-out highway robbery. Worst part is, the people committing it are wearing a badge!

Yeah, I know, viva freakin' Mexico! :mexico:

mis2810

Well Known Member
I understand your frustration Stuart, but I think it's because Mexico is still living like we did here in the US pre-1980-ish. Back in the good old days when you didn't need to use seat belts at all, when kids actually stood up in the back seat and leaned forward in between their parents, when you could ride a bike without a helmet, when babies sat on their mother's laps in the car, no warning labels on coffee cups to tell you that the coffee is "HOT", when you could walk down the street to the local corner market and buy your mother a pack of cigarettes and a bottle of beer for your father, no questions asked.

Since Mexicans are still living in that time period they are exempt from the laws. But, us gringos have to abide by those laws no matter where we are. It's all about the time warp, not the location. LOL

Roberto

Well Known Member
Now Stuart, there are several very good reasons this happens.

#1. Mexicans love US folk and want to protect them. If you get killed in a car accident, you can't come back and spend money.
The Mexican Govt. does not give one Sh__ about the Mexican People.

#2 Mexican Drivers have no training at all, no classes, no tests, so they are completely ignorent of the law and therefore are BLAMELESS. American's on the other hand are trained and tested on traffic law and therefore must be held to a higher standard.

#3 American's have the money to pay the fine and most Mexicans don't, especially if the whole family has to ride in the back of the truck.

#4 Few Mexican vehicles actually have seatbelts so how can they use them. Similar to the reason they don't have to stop at stop signs, how can they when they have no brakes ? Duuuh.

I think #3 is the most important. They stopped a friend some time ago and took his last 5 pesos as a fine, now it's hardly worth making a stop for that is it now?

Last edited:

Kelney

Well Known Member
Yeah, most people fear the narcos while I tend to fear the man with the badge in Mexico.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
A "nuisance stop" in Ajo is one thing. Being funneled through a checkpoint whose sole purpose is extracting money from gringos, rather than real safety, is something else altogether. If you're stupid enough to speed through Ajo (or Gila Bend), then you deserve a ticket. The speed limits are very clearly posted and both towns, as well as Sonoita, are known speed traps. Do the speed limit and this is not a problem.

By the way - you do NOT get points on your license for missing mudflaps, tail lights out or even a seat belt violation. In AZ, a seatbelt violation is strictly a secondary offense. In other words, you will not be pulled over for a seatbelt violation; you will only be given a ticket for it if you were pulled over for some other offense. Quote:

"In Arizona, your fines will depend on how many people in the vehicle are not wearing seat belts when you are pulled over. In most cases, the first offense will result in a $10 fine per person. Arizona is a secondary seat belt law state, though, meaning that you can’t be pulled over just for not wearing your seat belt. You have to be pulled over for another offense first."

You only get points (and possible insurance increases) from primary or MOVING violations - speeding, accidents, failure to yield, following to closely, DUI, etc.

So my point still stands - the checkpoints in Sonoita sole purpose is to extract money from gringos for chickenshit offenses via intimidation, and they only to try to extract money from gringos, not their own citizens. Total bullshit, plain and simple -- you cheerleaders can justify this nonsense in your own minds any freakin' way you want. How fast do you think there would be a HUGE uproar and cries of racism if we funneled everyone through some bullshit checkpoint on the US side and made only the Mexicans pay for some perceived minor traffic violation? Yeah, that would surely be tolerated, wouldn't it?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
At least in Ajo you get a receipt.
Why yes, yes you do. Then you mail in your cute little pink citation along with your check at some point in the future. NO MONEY IS DEMANDED ON THE SPOT WITH THE ALTERNATIVE THREAT OF BEING TAKEN TO THE POLICE STATION!!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
"Mexican law requires the use of seat belts, and the refusal to use a seat belt can result in a fine. Mexican seat belt regulations require that passenger vehicles and some commercial vehicles like tour vans and taxis have seat belts. According to the World Health Organization, 62 percent of deaths caused in traffic accidents occur in 10 countries and of those 10, Mexico comes in sixth place. This is because there little driver's education and the department of transportation does not have the economic resources or manpower to enforce seat belt regulations.

Mexican Seat Belt Regulations
Mexican law requires both the driver and front seat passenger to wear seat belts, but passengers in the back seat do not have to do so. Children under the age of 12 should sit in the back seat. Children under the age of five must sit in a carseat fastened by the car seat belt in the back seat.

Seat Belt Compliance
Larger cities in the country like Mexico City and Monterey, which have higher municipal incomes, do a better job of enforcing seat belt laws. During special public awareness campaigns, transportation officials stop and fine drivers who are not in compliance with the law. However, enforcing seat belt regulations throughout the year is still a challenge. In other areas of Mexico, the seat belt law is rarely enforced and if drivers are not in compliance, they are very rarely fined."

playaperro

El Pirata
First thing the hitch hiker told me when he got in my truck and saw my tint. Were going to get pulled over and I want to be wearing my seat belt. He also told me that the Federal Law also states
no texting or smoking...Yea I did donate a couple times 2 them once for speeding about .5 of a mile after crossing into mexico and I did a cali stop at a stop sign. I did get pulled over by the blue
and silver highway patrol the other day. He cussed me out 4 about 4 min. Then told me "TE VOY A DAR UN TICKET". Made me get out of the car and open the trunk, just about that time a dark
Jeep went by and he gave me my paperwork back and took off after the Jeep. Wish it had been a red Jeep. Some days are good days....

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Wut chu talkin' 'bout, Dawg?

Stuart, They changed the seatbelt law recently, I believe it was early May. I got pulled over in Buckeye on my way to PP Memorial day weekend for not wearing it. The only reason I was in Buckeye was that the interstate was backed up east of Jackrabbit for some reason. The fine was 38 bucks. I'm staying the h#$$ out of Buckeye now! LOL!

I've been thru that checkpoint 3 times now and I probably was not wearing my seatbelt a couple of them. I'm notorious for not wearing it. I wasn't fined. I have no idea.........Maybe others will chime in if something has happened to them. Maybe Rosie can check it out for us.......

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
The only time they stopped me at the checkpoint (Sonoita....leaving town) the police told me to fasten the seat belt....I don't recall why I didn't have it on that particular instance....there was no fine.

dmcauley

Well Known Member
Face it folks, when you pay on the spot it is called a bribe. There are signs (with pictures) saying buckle up. We are all in a hurry when we go to RP and would rather pay the bribe. I have been asked for up to $100.00 but always payed twenty or "lets go see the judge". Sorry the kids got stopped, that really sucks' but we need to educate our own to the corruption. Maybe we should all go to the station and stop paying bribes but this is like the good ol' USA in the 50's. A little vigorish goes a long way to. It's not the laws that are corrupt, it is certain individuals that need to be reported to someone who cares.

Roberto

Well Known Member
My experience is that if you don't pay on the spot and ask to go to the judge they will walk away immediately 90% of the time. Look at it this way, if they are in court they can't collect new fines and there is no extra $$ for sitting in court!! The other 10%, you go see the judge and pay a fine. No biggie.

Kenny

Well Known Member
You guy's have all the fun! The only ticket, or monies paid by me in any way in Mexico was my $25 dollar fine for "going to fast" and hitting the back of a truck down Santo Tomas way... After I paid the fine at the station, I gave the cop $10 for the use of his cell phone. That was not a bribe, it was consideration, as I was told that those guy's had to pay for their own phone's down that way.

Kenny

Well Known Member
The way you drive Roberto, I'm sure you get lot's of practice saying "take me to the court",:mrgreen: in Spanish.