Interested in the facts, not the drama, bs or anyone's personal agenda

El Gato

DH drinks Padre Kino - costs about $4.50/$5.50 and he said it isn't bad at all (my nose turns like Rudolph's if I drink wine). He has gotten it at Super Ley and Santa Fe Express.

El Gato

Pto Penasco 1950.jpgIsabel Pto Penasco 1950.jpgRockyPoint Bob & Is.jpg

These pictures were actually taken in Feb of 1950. We had been coming down here to camp and fish since 1948 - this was the first time my Aunt & Uncle (from Evanston IL) came down and they were really nervous about the trip - ended up loving it.

gringa

Oh WOW! What a treasure! Thanks so much for sharing those, El Gato! They are WONDERFUL photos! What amazing times and memories you must have :).

So I guess you grew up in Arizona then? PHX, Tucson or ???

My husband is a native, but I relocated to AZ from MA with my folks when I was 13th.

Thanks again for posting your lovely photos!

Roberto

New York to Rocky Point! WOW, what a change! How long were you in the City?
Well the route here for me sort of meandered around a bit. I grew up in the Appalachian Mt.s and moved to NY at 17, on my own. Like to say I grew up there! What with being at one University or another accumulating degrees and three different careers, I've been truly blessed. I was in NY for about 8 years, worked at a NIMH regional research center. Manhatten is an incredible place. Actually moved here from New Mexico.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Gringa,
Us Trailer Trash proudly wear that label and some of us even have the T shirts that we proudly wear! We even have friends that are pigeon coopers, (Condo people), And we socialize!

We have Thanksgiving dinner there every year at a forum members place. We start planning on the forum in Sept. From time to time, someone will post up a weekend roll call and invite whoever is down to gather at their place for a potluck. Just watch the forum.

I just did a count an in the last 2 and a half years, I have personally met 45 or so here from this forum. Isn't that cool?

Welcome to the group! I'm sure you'll like it here!

dwig222

Hi Chari

You mentioned in a previous post about the "known drug areas". Where is that? Like Gringa we haven't been down since the beginning of 10. This is the longest we have ever gone without our RP fix. We were planning on going down in January, but then I saw a few stories on this board that scared me. After reading this entire thread, I feel a little more safe. As a RP visitor for 30 plus years I don't think I would feel unsafe in town. It almost seems like my second home. I've been down there about a thousand times and never even came close to an incident. I too stayed in our trailer alone many times and I would today if we still had the trailer. It's the road to and from the border that scares us because it's so isolated. From what I just read on this thread the consensus seems to be that the road is safe during the day.

I would also like to add that yes, we do have crime here in the US. The part that scares me is if something would happen, we are concerned about being in a foreign country. If we were hurt, would we get good healthcare. If we were somehow robbed or had our car stolen, would we get help from the police. As I said, we have never encountered a problem with the exception of our car being keyed pretty bad. We have an annual mexican insurance policy, but have never put in a claim so we don't know how smooth that would be if we have a claim.

I never thought in a million years, I would be scared to drive down to RP!

mel150

Live here full time and have never seen any trouble personally. Just drove from here to Mazatlan and back, stayed in Hermosillo, Novojoa, Los Mochis and Mazatlan, again no problems just friendly people and great sights. Came back and crossed the border to pick up mail, no troubles on either side. Come on down.

Kenny

View attachment 2111View attachment 2110View attachment 2109

These pictures were actually taken in Feb of 1950. We had been coming down here to camp and fish since 1948 - this was the first time my Aunt & Uncle (from Evanston IL) came down and they were really nervous about the trip - ended up loving it.
I guess by the time my folks came down From Torrance in 55/56 you guy's already had the best camping spot picked out.LOL My dad had heard about Cholla Bay from some of the wild boy's who worked with him at Hugh's ( they camped at Sandy), so they strapped on a bunch of Jerry cans to my Uncles Teddy's Woody for fuel and water, hooked up the old boat, then kissed us kids goodbye and set on out. Us kids didn't get to go until the next year, and by then we'd moved to Phoenix. We stayed in those hut's at Nachos, and it was one great adventure after another.

Last edited:

El Gato

We used to go crabbing and clamming at Choya Bay when no one else was there (of course always got stuck in the sand a time or two). When we first came there was basically just the old port and the Rocky Hotel. By the early 60's we were camping (and staying at) the Playa Hermosa - the beach stretched in a beautiful curve - nothing else on it. This was before they dredged the harbor and when the tide went out it went waaay out. Shrimp boats had stilts on them to prop them. You came and went according to the tides as you couldn't get in or out of the harbor if the tide was out. When we first came down it was basically only a place the avid fishermen came - they didn't bring their families. Ah, all the memories lol

El Gato

We loved looking at the pictures - anyone else have pictures of Penasco long ago? Or stories of what went on in those days of yore?

Just to set the record straight.....the "trailer trash" comment was in good humor. That's what they called themselves. We had a great time. My brother and sister-in-law would set out a yard-like perimeter with all the fixings, go around to all the neighbors and invite everyone over for food and drinks. It was great. I heard tons of stories of this bro-in-law and my ex's family camping on Sandy Beach in the late '50s and early '60s. Just backed up the stationwagon and put up a tent. The ex (as a college student) apparently took some buddies to RP, arrived at night in a rain, couldn't really see, so decided to pitch the tent for the night where they were cuz they they couldn't see to drive further. Woke up the next a.m. in the Dump. You'd think they would had had a clue..?smell?...Must have had lots of cerveza. Guess I have now turned into a "pigeon cooper"...an affectionate term I'm sure!.....although sometimes remarks about this genre are not so kind. Oh well...RP is good no matter where you stay.
As to restaurants: I love Max's, Mare Blu, Ramons, Rosie's for breakfast, Mary's for lunch; Playa Bonita is walkable for us and good for the day we arrive....get a nice ocean experience. La Curva more inland is good. We recently were going to everything on the Malecon to try them all.
Re wine: Many places serve/sell La Cetta(?sp).which I personally do not like, so hence the question. We of course bring down wine.....but for longer stays I appreciate the info. Thanks all.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Hey Gato,
We must have run into each other there as my family and I used to camp in the campground across Calle Trece from the Playa Hermosa. Showers were a garden hose inside the window of the bath house. I had my first grasshopper there at the age of 15 in the bar at the Playa Hermosa. Spent all day in the beach there by the staircase and watched the sun set into the water...It looked like a pathway to the sun as it went down. Oh, the memories....This was from '71-74 ish.

Marjie, Trailer Trash and Pigeon Coopers are affectionate terms. There are a few here that don't appreciate them but for the most part, we are all good.

I have a thousand old pics in my storeroom somewhere. I'll look for them as I am laid up for a couple of days....

Last edited:

El Gato

At Hector's cantina (at the Playa Hermosa) we used to play dominos with the kids in the day time as it was a little cooler there - or on the covered patio. My mother's Siamese cat, Baby Cat, used to lay on the bar. Migel & Chewy (bartenders) used to keep the cerveza flowing (Corona). I learned how to do the twist at Hector's. Bar's had to be shut down at a certain time (I think it was midnight but I'm not positive). Of course no a/c so we used to wear our bathing suits - get them wet - then put on a shift to sort of act like a cooling system. No one ever believed that there would be swimming pools or golf courses built - or high rise buildings.

Also in the 60's there was a tourist shop on the road to the Playa Hermosa and the owner loved chess and used to teach the kids how to play it. He would have groups of kids (accompanied by lazy dogs) set up on the floor with chess sets he had for sale and he would go among them teaching them the moves. They would have bought their cokes and end up having a wonderful day after being at the beach. Once some tourists came in and complained about the riff raff kids and dogs and the owner suggested the tourists find a different store.

Almost all the roads were dirt/sand :)

playaperro

El Pirata
Gato, Do you have any more info about the cantina. Pic what it looked like? I would like to know more about that era very interesting. Kenny showed a very good pic
and I think Manny has more pics maybe he might want to share. Thanks in advance.

jerry

I remember snooping around in the arizona Historical Society pictures archives and they had some good rp pictures.As i remember a guy named Stark had pictures taken in the Pinacates in the 30s of a eclipise .
Gato, Do you have any more info about the cantina. Pic what it looked like? I would like to know more about that era very interesting. Kenny showed a very good pic
and I think Manny has more pics maybe he might want to share. Thanks in advance.