Looks like lock down will continue for awhile

RP Life

Puerto Peñasco, Sonora; to September 8, 2020.- The hours of sale of alcoholic beverages in Puerto Peñasco will have a limit of 12 at night, in view of the fact that the Directorate of Alcohol of the State Government has already decreed the termination of the Partial Dry Law that is established at the beginning of the health emergency due to Covid-19, reported Ernesto Kiko Munro.

rplarry

Not surprised. As said earlier, it's day by day at the port right now because of the constant strong south winds.

Breaks the longstanding tradition of a solid blow for three straight days, then you'd get a couple of days where it would all lay down and was great for fishing. Right now, those windows aren't there, just blow blow blow your boat.
There are over 1000 scientists that disagree with you. The polar ice caps are melting. Never in history has this happened.
If you are open minded, try reading these 2 books :

Bjorn Lomborg
False Alarm: How Climate Change Panic Costs Us Trillions, Hurts the Poor, and Fails to Fix the Planet
https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Shellenberger/e/B006U0VXUK/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

and

Michael Shellenberger
Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All

playaperro

El Pirata
Puerto Peñasco, Sonora; to September 8, 2020.- The hours of sale of alcoholic beverages in Puerto Peñasco will have a limit of 12 at night, in view of the fact that the Directorate of Alcohol of the State Government has already decreed the termination of the Partial Dry Law that is established at the beginning of the health emergency due to Covid-19, reported Ernesto Kiko Munro.
Is that sales end at 12 or a limit of a 12 pack? Is there volcanoes around Penasco I should be worried about?

If you are open minded, try reading these 2 books :

Bjorn Lomborg
False Alarm: How Climate Change Panic Costs Us Trillions, Hurts the Poor, and Fails to Fix the Planet
https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Shellenberger/e/B006U0VXUK/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

and

Michael Shellenberger
Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All

I’m a retired physical scientist with hundreds of peer reviewed journal publications. Late in my career I taught climate science at a major university and traveled the world using underwater photography to document the effects of ocean acidification and ocean temperature increase on coral reefs.

Carbon dioxide and methane gases strongly absorb infrared radiation and hold heat in the atmosphere. The instrumental record (direct measurement) of these gases goes back continuously to the late 1950s. We have ice core records going back thousands of years. They are increasing at an alarming rate since the industrial revolution.

You can actually build a simple experiment in your garage to verify the warming effect of carbon dioxide. Build an airtight glass or plexiglass box of known volume heated externally with a floodlight. Place a digital thermometer inside the box. Allow the system to come to equilibrium over several hours and note the temperature. Using a small cylinder of carbon dioxide gas and a simple bubble flow meter to measure flow rate, add enough CO2 to replace several percent of the air volume. Again allow the system to come to thermal equilibrium and then note the temperature. Make a second equal addition of CO2 and again note the equilibrium temperature.

If this is too complicated go camping during the winter and keep a diary on the effect of overcast on nighttime temperatures. “Cold clear nights”, are generally cooler than overcast nights because water vapor is also a greenhouse gas. You can also compare the surface temperature of Venus (runaway greenhouse effect) with Mars (very little atmosphere by comparison), and correct for solar irradiance. All of the plans (and there are some) for colonizing Mars involve terraforming the planet by increasing greenhouse gases in the planet’s atmosphere.

Last edited:
Sale of alcohol ends at 12 midnight no limit on quantity.
Volcanoes: None that I am aware of. I would need to research to be sure.
The El Pinacante range of volcanic craters is 35 miles away to the north. Also Black Mtn is a Volcano cone across from Cholla Bay.
El Pinacante park is Pretty impressive to visit, black lava fields everywhere.

We drove in there on a Memorial day weekend years ago, the temp increased from 99 at highway 8 to over 120 degrees 5 miles in.
Our cars started to over heat so we had to turn off the A/C driving thru the sandy parts of the roads.
There's hundreds of cinder cones in there.

I don't think we need to worry about a eruption, they've been silent for a few thousand years, but with global warming you never know.

El Pinacante is currently closed to visitors, it requires a permit and guide to take you in now. Russ may know more about it.
I would go again but Nov-April.

The El Pinacante range of volcanic craters is 35 miles away to the north. Also Black Mtn is a Volcano cone across from Cholla Bay.
El Pinacante park is Pretty impressive to visit, black lava fields everywhere.

We drove in there on a Memorial day weekend years ago, the temp increased from 99 at highway 8 to over 120 degrees 5 miles in.
Our cars started to over heat so we had to turn off the A/C driving thru the sandy parts of the roads.
There's hundreds of cinder cones in there.

I don't think we need to worry about a eruption, they've been silent for a few thousand years, but with global warming you never know.

El Pinacante is currently closed to visitors, it requires a permit and guide to take you in now. Russ may know more about it.
I would go again but Nov-April.
There are also cinder cones and mud volcanoes south and east of the Salton Sea in Imperial County California. I would expect that the local temperature increase in El Pinacante is mostly an albedo effect of the very dark surface absorbing more sunlight, essentially a microclimate effect. Probably would be a good location for putting in a geothermal plant (aside from being a UNESCO world heritage site). It might even be economical compared to solar photovoltaic, and if it proved feasible to extract lithium and other minerals from the brine, it could be a money maker, like proposed for Salton Sea. The Achilles heel of most of these desert renewal energy proposals is the lack of electricity transmission networks to get the electricity to population centers. For Puerto Peñasco local wind turbines would be the way to go which leaves the beauty of El Picante intact.

The problem with visiting El Picante seems to be the road in passing over private property and the owner wanting to get paid.

ernesto

I’m a retired physical scientist with hundreds of peer reviewed journal publications. Late in my career I taught climate science at a major university and traveled the world using underwater photography to document the effects of ocean acidification and ocean temperature increase on coral reefs.

Carbon dioxide and methane gases strongly absorb infrared radiation and hold heat in the atmosphere. The instrumental record (direct measurement) of these gases goes back continuously to the late 1950s. We have ice core records going back thousands of years. They are increasing at an alarming rate since the industrial revolution.

You can actually build a simple experiment in your garage to verify the warming effect of carbon dioxide. Build an airtight glass or plexiglass box of known volume heated externally with a floodlight. Place a digital thermometer inside the box. Allow the system to come to equilibrium over several hours and note the temperature. Using a small cylinder of carbon dioxide gas and a simple bubble flow meter to measure flow rate, add enough CO2 to replace several percent of the air volume. Again allow the system to come to thermal equilibrium and then note the temperature. Make a second equal addition of CO2 and again note the equilibrium temperature.

If this is too complicated go camping during the winter and keep a diary on the effect of overcast on nighttime temperatures. “Cold clear nights”, are generally cooler than overcast nights because water vapor is also a greenhouse gas. You can also compare the surface temperature of Venus (runaway greenhouse effect) with Mars (very little atmosphere by comparison), and correct for solar irradiance. All of the plans (and there are some) for colonizing Mars involve terraforming the planet by increasing greenhouse gases in the planet’s atmosphere.
And this has become a political debate that conveniently dismisses science.

RP Life

Rocky Point 360 Facebook

UPDATE on 2020 Rocky Point Rally - Following the recent Labor Day holiday and upcoming Mexican Independence Day celebration, Puerto Peñasco city officials will be meeting with Rally organizers for official confirmation as to whether or not this year's official event will go ahead. (Expected confirmation either way by Sept. 22nd - we know this has not been easy) Thank you for your patience

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Rocky Point 360 Facebook

UPDATE on 2020 Rocky Point Rally - Following the recent Labor Day holiday and upcoming Mexican Independence Day celebration, Puerto Peñasco city officials will be meeting with Rally organizers for official confirmation as to whether or not this year's official event will go ahead. (Expected confirmation either way by Sept. 22nd - we know this has not been easy) Thank you for your patience
250k covid cases linked to Sturgis... pry not a great idea for this little town.

Mount Pinatubo caused the earth's atmosphere to cool for almost 2 years.

We could use a couple of nice eruptions (non destructive) this year to pump some particles
into the atmosphere to help cool the earth down a degree or two.

RP Life

I have heard this happens, but this is the first time I experienced this:

I had a half of tank of gas and asked to fill it at the location of Premex behind Sam's Club (Jose Lopez Portillo & Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez) and was charged $42.37 usd for approx. 9 gallons of gas with using a credit card. Today I went to my usual gas station in front of Burger King on Benito Juarez and asked for 500 pesos to fill the tank that was again half empty. I was now charged $23.26 usd on my credit card.

Asked one of my local friends here in Penasco how he avoids being scammed at the gas pumps in Mexico.

His response was:
Always ask for a receipt the kind that shows $/liter and how many liters you actually purchased. I If they tell you they don't give those receipts it highly likely you are being scammed.

He had to get the manager to come over to get the receipt, which he did and it showed they shorted him 50 pesos. Then the employee said it's just 50 pesos so he said it's 50 pesos less gas he is getting so they gave him back 50 pesos.

Use a different gas station and always buy a fixed amount in pesos and watch the liter readout.
I buy 500 or 1000 pesos per visit gives you 25L or 6.5 - 50L or 13 gallons.

BTW they charged you 31 pesos per liter assuming Magna it's 19.75 in Penasco, 15.5 in Sonoyta.
You were ripped off for $19.

I usually use the station out by the Wind generators, seem to get what I pay for.
Also other stations are usually a bit light on delivery amount.