Lost At Sea ?

HAPPY

User is currently banned
Happy, I've been fishing since I could hold a Snoopy rod with a Zebco reel at about 3 yrs... does that make me a natural?

Very good point and you actually expressed it well! Have you been drinking??? You don't post like that when you're sober!!!
Now you got it, you are a natural in your chosen ~~~"ADVENTURE", ~~~ thanks for the compliment, but I don't drink, ~~~

~~~ Must be that good weed that Tyler gave me, ~~~

HAPPY

User is currently banned
Teen sailor, 16 year old Abby Sunderland of Thousand Oaks Calif. is feared lost at sea, ~~~
is "alive" and "most likely floating in the middle of the Indian ocean ( everyone hopes )
~~~ epirb is sending signal ~~~ she has been attempting to solo around the world,
full story, ~~~ www.abbysunderland.com
There is now a pic. of boat floating in ocean, click on web above ~~~ then click on abbys blog, click on pic. for zoom ~~~

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Some teenagers are responsible enough to do adult things. Here's my story. My mom and her husband drove our camper to Central America (all the way to the Panama Canal) and back in the spring of 1974, camping and sightseeing. They were gone almost 8 weeks. I was barely 17, a junior in high school. My sister was 15, a freshman. We stayed home alone, running the family business (a 24 unit apartment house) and going to school the whole time. I had my license, the family car, and enough money plus access to the bank account in case of emergency. I have always been able to cook. There was very little phone contact, I think I talked to her 4 times the whole time they were gone. That big earthquake in Guatemala happened while they were there and it took 4 days for her to get a call out of Guatemala and say they were OK. That WAS the longest 4 days of my life, tho. I had visions of having to emancipate myself and having to put college off until my sister graduated so I could run the business..... But I digress. My point is, some kids are responsible enough to be adults when they are young. Just my .02. If she truly wanted to do it AND was capable, who are we to armchair quarterback? I would, however, pay the rescue bill if it were my kid....Even if they didn't ask for it.

Chari....there is a difference between being responsible....and doing something very dangerous (what I would consider foolhardy even for the experienced ADULT sailor) just for the sake of a "record"....and I lay fault on the parents, not the girl..... There is a difference between running a family business and taking care of your siblings then spending months alone (even with electronic contact ) in very dangerous waters trying to break a record.

As always....we all have our opinions...and mine comes from the standpoint of a parent, and what I consider my responsibilites as a parent of a teenager (male or female). My opinion is no different concerning her brother's circumnavigation when he was 17!!!! There is a fine line between encouraging independence in a teenager and permitting them to do something that has a high chance of causing bodily harm to them.

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Joe, my youngest son joined the Marines when he was 17 (the delayed entry program - meant he trained til he was 18 and graduated). They wouldn't take him without my permission which I was oh, so hesitant to give. He convinced me that it was his choice, not mine, what he did with his life. All he needed was me saying that was ok. It scared me beyond any fear I had ever had as an adult...not to mention his two tours of Iraq after that but he made the right decision for himself. I think every child is an individual and we can't generalize "especially" since the law says we should when it comes to chronological age. We should take each person as they present themselves, then rely on God to get it right, which He does in spite of our fears. My son succeeded in spite of my fears...and he did it all himself. I am so glad I didn't hinder that for him. I realize that there are many military moms who wish to God their child never made the decision to put themselves in harm's way, but I think they would have lost them somehow anyway if they would have tried to stop them. It's our job to love them unconditionally.

Sheryl.....as parents, we make decisions concerning our kids, and have to live with the results. In the case of your son, it was supporting him in a "career" choice and what he wanted to do with his life.....a big difference between that (he still had to wait till he was 18 to actually "serve"), and the 16 yr. old girl trying to get into the record books (and from looking at her website, make some money off it)..... Society sets certain ages where people are able to do things (like vote, drink, get married, sign a contract, etc.) without parental "involvement"....whether we agree on that specific age for each individual event or not. You permitted him to enter the Marines, probably knowing that he wouldn't be able to go into combat until he was 18, when he would be able to make the decision on his own anyway. Would you have made the same decision if you knew the Marines would allow him into combat at 16, or 17? My kids make decisions that I sometimes disagree with, but I have no way of stopping them since they are both over 18.....all I can do is support them, maybe give them advice they might actually hear and take, and be there if something goes wrong. I still differentiate between that and facilitating a 16 yr. old doing something that has a VERY high risk of bodily harm, and possibly psychological harm.

I'm going to go out on the limb here and say that it would appear from her parents facilitating everything (big bucks for the boat, electronics gear, prep for the voyage, and a repair earlier in the voyage).....that maybe they were living vicariously through their kids (including the 17 yr. old son) and looking to make a buck off it??????? Maybe I'm wrong.....

Like I've said earlier, we all have are own opinions on the matter.....no matter how we handle it, as parents, we will have to live with the results!

Last edited:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Joe and Sheryl,
There is a little more to my story than I posted previously. Sheryl said we can't "generalize" even tho the law says we should. That's exactly what happened to us during our 8 weeks of being alone. A teacher at school got wind of our situation and took it upon herself to call whatever CPS was called in those days to report "abandoned children". We get a knock at the door at 4:30 one afternoon. I opened the door and the lady identified herself and told us she had a report of abandoned children and asked where our parents were. I said my mom was on an extended vacation in Central America and my dad was out of the picture. She said, well, who is taking care of you. I said, "we are". She asked to come in. I let her in and she looked around the apartment. She saw our schoolwork spread out on the table. She then said, what smells good and I said, potroast. She said, do you have a car and I pointed it out, she then asked if I had a license and I said of course. She asked, how much money do you have and I was, by then, getting a little perturbed, I said enough and more, if needed, while waving the checkbook at her. She stood there a minute and then said, Well, I don't see any abandoned children here and left. That's what happens when you generalize. Now, I'll agree that not all 17 and 15 year olds can be left alone for 8 weeks but there are some kids that are responsible....... And, I bet that this would not have happened in today's climate, we would have been hauled off to a shelter and who knows what would have happened to our business and our mom when she got home...... I still feel that if this girl has grown up sailing and knows the ropes and wants to do this for herself and is mature enough to know the risks that she should. But, I have never had a child and I don't know ifI would feel the same way if it were my child. So, Joe, we all have opinions and that's what makes for an interesting world.

Chari....what's the worst that could have happened in your situation?.....you could have poisoned your sister with your cooking:stir:....you could have had wild parties...and maybe burned the apartments down.....:rofl:

HAPPY

User is currently banned
Joe, my youngest son joined the Marines when he was 17 (the delayed entry program - meant he trained til he was 18 and graduated). They wouldn't take him without my permission which I was oh, so hesitant to give. He convinced me that it was his choice, not mine, what he did with his life. All he needed was me saying that was ok. It scared me beyond any fear I had ever had as an adult...not to mention his two tours of Iraq after that but he made the right decision for himself. I think every child is an individual and we can't generalize "especially" since the law says we should when it comes to chronological age. We should take each person as they present themselves, then rely on God to get it right, which He does in spite of our fears. My son succeeded in spite of my fears...and he did it all himself. I am so glad I didn't hinder that for him. I realize that there are many military moms who wish to God their child never made the decision to put themselves in harm's way, but I think they would have lost them somehow anyway if they would have tried to stop them. It's our job to love them unconditionally.
Very well put, ~~~ "BUT I THINK THEY WOULD HAVE LOST THEM SOMEHOW ANYWAY" ~~~
I can relate to your post ~~~ about 51yrs. ago I was 17, & full of it, I attended a good high school, ( Cathedral High ) ~~~ & hated every min. of it, never did like school, what I wanted was to join the navy, it was an ~~~ ITCH ~~~ that ~~~ HAD ~~~ to be scratched, but my parents wouldn't sign for me, "what about your diploma" ~~~ I couldn't care less about a diploma, so in the 11th grade I quit, walked out in the middle of a class ~~~ that nite all hell broke loose, I presented them with enlistment papers to sign, still no dice, ~~~ so I disappeared into the streets, inside of 2-wks. problems began, I was about to make a BIG LEFT turn in life, after about a month, they saw the lite & signed, & off I went sailed all over the Orient for 3 1/2 yrs. on one of the navys biggest aircraft carriers @ the time, after my tour I had enough of the navy ~~~ but I had ~~~ SCRATCHED THAT ITCH ~~~ real good, ~~~
got myself into a trade & did real good in life, ~~~ if I wasn't allowed to ~~~ SCRATCH THAT ITCH, ~~~ only big daddy upstairs knows, ~~~
& so it is with this kid Abby, & many other youngsters, ~~~
~~~ Don't hold them back, you may regret it one day,~~~ LET THEM SCRATCH THAT ITCH ~~~

~~~ AND ~~~ :happy:

Happy....I agree with your post relative to YOUR situation...but I still see a difference in "scratching that itch"....and what the girl is doing (or was doing).....

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Joe, I don't know how to post the whole link...This is just part of the article:
Rescued U.S. Teen Sailor Wants Second Attempt at Solo Record
Published June 12, 2010 | NewsCore
American teenager Abby Sunderland vowed Saturday that she would attempt to sail solo round the world again, after her first try at the record was thwarted when she became stranded for two nights in rough Indian Ocean seas. Sunderland was plucked from her damaged yacht by a French fishing vessel on Saturday, 2000 nautical miles from the western coast of Australia. Her 40-foot sailboat Wild Eyes remains adrift.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Wow, Joe,
I was talking about generalizing, that every child under 18 is not responsible. Heck, I know 25 year olds that still need supervision! I could have wrecked the car, drag racing, and killed us both, too. But my mom knew we were responsible enough not to have wild parties or smoke in bed. Now, if this girl's parents knew she wasn't responsible enough to do this and still allowed her......then that's different. I still don't know what I would do if it were my child as I never had any. I respect your opinion as a parent and I resent you casting aspersions on my cooking!:ham: LOL!

HAPPY

User is currently banned
Happy....I agree with your post relative to YOUR situation...but I still see a difference in "scratching that itch"....and what the girl is doing (or was doing).....
Rocky, the example I gave could & does apply to any youngster ~~~ "that is full of it" ~~~ & this girl is full of it, ~~~ if the girl wasn't, isn't allowed to "scratch that itch" ~~~
she may very well have run off & attempted it on her own, & then what ? ~~~ but her parents were wise enough to realize this, & after all who other than them knows their kid better than them ? ~~~ and are backing her all the way in this ~~~ "ITCH" ~~~

And now as posted above she is more determined to try again, ~~~
& I say, ~~~ Rig up and go get that ~~~ "ITCH" ~~~

Now it looks like daddy did push her into this for some reality TV show... what the hell is wrong with some people to risk their childs life for $$$...

I think someone should strap this girls dad to a boat and set him a drift for a couple weeks...