Lost At Sea ?

HAPPY

User is currently banned
Teen sailor, 16 year old Abby Sunderland of Thousand Oaks Calif. is feared lost at sea, ~~~
is "alive" and "most likely floating in the middle of the Indian ocean ( everyone hopes )
~~~ epirb is sending signal ~~~ she has been attempting to solo around the world,
full story, ~~~ www.abbysunderland.com

I'm glad to hear she's been located...and is still alive...but she's not out of the woods yet, until one of the vessels gets to her!

At the risk of getting reamed by some on here....as a parent, (also of a girl)....it makes me wonder what goes thru the minds of these parents who allow, and even encourage, their kids to try these kinds of stunts (feats to some...stunts to others)....and for what?....a lousy "record"???...which will soon be broken by someone else!!!!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Truly an amazing brave young girl... I am hoping all turns out well...
I am glad to hear she is safe. HOWEVER... there seems to be a very fine line between "brave" and "stupidity." Just my opinion. She set sail in order to break a record; to be the world's youngest to sail non-stop around the world. That attempt was blown when she had to stop in South Africa for repairs. It was very foolhardy for her to continue on through the southern Indian Ocean during the winter season. Winds were reported at 45 knots and seas at 40-60 ft. Yeah, "Perfect Storm" kind of stuff.

As a parent, I wouldn't condone my child doing this. Maybe encourage them to adjust their sights for some other record that didn't put their life in so much danger? Ehhhh, kids...

On Edit: I see Joe and I were thinking the same thing at right about the same time!

jerry

I am glad to hear she is safe. HOWEVER... there seems to be a very fine line between "brave" and "stupidity." Just my opinion. She set sail in order to break a record; to be the world's youngest to sail non-stop around the world. That attempt was blown when she had to stop in South Africa for repairs. It was very foolhardy for her to continue on through the southern Indian Ocean during the winter season. Winds were reported at 45 knots and seas at 40-60 ft. Yeah, "Perfect Storm" kind of stuff.

As a parent, I wouldn't condone my child doing this. Maybe encourage them to adjust their sights for some other record that didn't put their life in so much danger? Ehhhh, kids...

On Edit: I see Joe and I were thinking the same thing at right about the same time!
sort of child abuse.....soccer coach,skate parents little league nutcase parents can't really kill their kids...these people....glory hounds!

sort of child abuse.....soccer coach,skate parents little league nutcase parents can't really kill their kids...these people....glory hounds!
I've seen the youth sports stuff....parents "living" in the activiies of their kids....but this type of activity is what I find ridiculous....to the point of criminal! Her parents should be knowledgeable in sailing and ocean conditions, and still permitted her to continue after she couldn't set the record....and don't geve me the BS about how they could't stop her! Who provided a 40 ft. yacht and the repairs/provisions/equipment for the trip? Anyone who's done any boating knows what that kind of stuff costs!

One of the stories run on her sail included the story of some 7 yr. old who was killed with the child's father trying to set a record flying a plane.

I know we've gone off topic from the original post.....but this thing with children (and yes, she is still a child!!) being permitted/encouraged to do this type of activity just gets my blood boiling!

I still think she was brave to do this... I know I do a lot of stupid things, but I know I wouldn't try to sail around the world alone... so I do think she is brave and deserves that recognition of standing above those that get a trophy for participating...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
"Brave" was Charles Lindbergh flying across the Atlantic Ocean. Or Amelia Earhardt trying the Pacific. Brave was John Glenn strapping his ass to a huge rocket and being the first man to orbit the planet in space. Brave were the 1st responders in NY on 9/11. I could go on.

A rich, spoiled little girl in a sailboat, trying to beat somebody else's record, for the glory of it? That's not brave, that's stupid.

I wouldn't attempt it either. Like you, I have something called a "brain." Hahahahah!

"Brave" was Charles Lindbergh flying across the Atlantic Ocean. Or Amelia Earhardt trying the Pacific. Brave was John Glenn strapping his ass to a huge rocket and being the first man to orbit the planet in space. Brave were the 1st responders in NY on 9/11. I could go on.

A rich, spoiled little girl in a sailboat, trying to beat somebody else's record, for the glory of it? That's not brave, that's stupid.

I wouldn't attempt it either. Like you, I have something called a "brain." Hahahahah!
what about the first guy in a circus to be shot out of a canon??? <--- just joking... That is true though people like John Glenn and the first responders after 9/11 were very brave...

But in the case of Lindberg and Earhardt someone had to finance their attemps... the girl still had to choose to do this as Lindberg and Earhardt chose to do what they did... I didn't see her chained, or forced into that sailboat by her rich parents... I just feel that she wanted to do this, and that shows bravery and the taste for adventure and I choose to admire that, rather than what seems to be the fads that a lot of the kids her age are doing...

I do hope her rich parents also had all the proceedures and cautions in place to respond in this situation, and are picking up all the cost of her rescue...

the question is still out about me and the brain thing...

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I say we put Dog on a blow-up SpongeBob raft and send him sailing! Haha!

Yeah, very much agreed, Seadweller - a lot of different ways to look at this story. The whole "Balloon Boy" thing comes to mind for some reason!

Kenny

The whole "Balloon Boy" thing comes to mind for some reason!
Yep, he may of been crazy Stuart, but not actually crazy enough to send his boy on that ride.

As for the girl. It ain't over, till it's over.

Oh!! can I buy the raft for dog boy? I'd be more than glad to. In fact, I'd take time off from work just to watch you throw him off with a head start out on the 51.

Last edited:

HAPPY

User is currently banned
what about the first guy in a circus to be shot out of a canon??? <--- just joking... That is true though people like John Glenn and the first responders after 9/11 were very brave...

But in the case of Lindberg and Earhardt someone had to finance their attemps... the girl still had to choose to do this as Lindberg and Earhardt chose to do what they did... I didn't see her chained, or forced into that sailboat by her rich parents... I just feel that she wanted to do this, and that shows bravery and the taste for adventure and I choose to admire that, rather than what seems to be the fads that a lot of the kids her age are doing...

I do hope her rich parents also had all the proceedures and cautions in place to respond in this situation, and are picking up all the cost of her rescue...

the question is still out about me and the brain thing...
While I understand all the different points of views here, ~~~ I have a diff. take on this, ( somewhat as Seadwellers ) 1st this kid grew up sailing, since she was in diapers, & I don't think anyone pushed her into doing this ~~~ least of all her parents, more than likely tried to discourage her, make her see & understand the risks involved, ~~~
Her older bro. a yr. or 2 ago @ 17 did it ( not non stop ) but he did get the solo record, ~~~ I believe that there is such a thing as a ~~~ natural ~~~ & this kid Abby is a natural, ~~~ she is fortunate that
she has a family that can afford such an ~~~ ( I'll call it an adventure ) & equip her with the best equip.
As an example take Nascar, ( I watch every race I can ) nascar nut ? maybe, ~~~
There are a few that started in their teens, #'s 2,18,9,& the latest on the scene #20, & there are others, these guys are naturals, ~~~ do you think for one min. that their parents said no, no, no, 200 mph is too fast, why thats crazy, no you can't do that,
or that the car owners, ~~~ that put up the big $ would give them a car, I don't think so,
then there is, boat drags 260 mph in 1/4 mi, asphalt drags 300mph 1/4 mi, many in teens, & on & on ~~~
she is close to finishing, & I hope that boat is fixed & she goes ahead & finishes the adventure, & gets the encourging she needs to do so,
not for non stop ~~~ but for being the youngest to go around world alone that record is hers,
till another adventureous soul makes the attempt, ~~~ a brave little girl, ~~~ you betcha,

Kenny

You have to be 18 to run with the big boy's Happy. That's why Kyle, and what's his name in the #20, Joey, couldn't run NASCRAP until they turned 18. Fact is, a lot of them started in quarter Midgets at 5 or 6.

We all have our opinions of what constitutes bravery.....I'll leave it at that!!!

From one of the news reports....."The Australian maritime authority did not say how much the rescue mission would cost but said it would not be seeking compensation for the search"....so there goes the "ass"umption that the parents would be paying.....

As for the "dog"....I have a couple different pull tubes I used with my jetski.....I'd be GLAD to give him a ride behind my supercharged jetski.....should be able to get him up over 60mph....skipping those waves out there....then a nice little "dismount"!!!:thumbsup::rofl:

HAPPY

User is currently banned
One little edit to my post I left out, ~~~ I don't think it's a ? of being brave,stupid, or crazy, ~~~ but more like doing something because you want to do it, ~~~

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Happy, I've been fishing since I could hold a Snoopy rod with a Zebco reel at about 3 yrs... does that make me a natural?

Very good point and you actually expressed it well! Have you been drinking??? You don't post like that when you're sober!!!

One little edit to my post I left out, ~~~ I don't think it's a ? of being brave,stupid, or crazy, ~~~ but more like doing something because you want to do it, ~~~
makes me wonder what the future holds for this girl??? she sailed alone, but I "sea" plenty of courage and leadership...

Last edited: