Military action in RP had to be done.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
the word 'criminal' is beyond vague that in the courts everyone has their own interpretation. lets not forget religion, politics and family (each has their own version of what a 'criminal' is). In any case, off topic on my part. maybe 'smart criminal' refers to someone who does not get caught (something along those lines).

If one wants to feel safe about rocky point, look at it this way. The cartel does not want to create waves in penasco and they are ok going about their business without affecting the tourism industry (that is just bad for business). In most cases when you hear about a big bust like the one we had, it was probably done because someone was no longer part of the team and it was authorized from up above. One thing we can all agree on is the method it was done under was not ideal for tourism (it sounds like the local authorities were kept in the dark).

Looking back, I just tell myself that these events are few and far between when it comes to being so open, so I will continue about living my life. No different that cartels or drug lords who own and run tourist areas in the Caribbean or islands around Asia, they don't want a target on their back so do their best to be as low key as possible (its called being a smart criminal).
Totally agree ...

I agree that the military action probably was necessary, but I fear for the fallout from it towards tourism.

We had Christmas dinner with our extended family (26 people), the adults ranged in age from late 20's to mid 60's.
They all asked us about the Shoot-out, (since we have a house in Cholla) and how we felt about it.
We responded that it was sad that it happened but necessary and that we will continue to travel to
Mexico as usual with a bit more caution, pay a bit more attention.
We polled the 15 adults and only 5 said they will continue to visit RP. (all under 30)
Almost all the 40+ people said they were done with Mexico and all have been there numerous times in the past 3-5 years.
The mentioned Canada, The USA and the Caribbean as places to go instead.

I was very surprised all from the "we are done with Mexico answers" I wonder how this is going to play out.

Any other members have similar scenes from their holiday gatherings?

I agree that the military action probably was necessary, but I fear for the fallout from it towards tourism.

We had Christmas dinner with our extended family (26 people), the adults ranged in age from late 20's to mid 60's.
They all asked us about the Shoot-out, (since we have a house in Cholla) and how we felt about it.
We responded that it was sad that it happened but necessary and that we will continue to travel to
We polled the 15 adults and only 5 said they will continue to visit RP. (all under 30)
Almost all the 40+ people said they were done with Mexico and all have been there numerous times in the past 3-5 years.

I was very surprised all from the "we are done with Mexico answers" I wonder how this is going to play out.

Friends of ours in cruise industry say the violence in the caribbean is staggering....just doesnt make the news. There touists are attacked, especially in bahamas, nassau in particular.

Yes, not wild about the Bahamas, my wife and I went there on a cruise 4 years ago and found police/military everywhere.
We were warned about the POTENTIAL crime as we were leaving the boat, but we did enjoy the fort tour we went on,
the local tour guide was great and warned us about where not to go in Nassau.
Never felt at ease when we were in Nassau and couldn't wait to leave.

We were told Bermuda and some other islands are great by the crew on the boat, they even said the Bahamas was pretty low on their list of places to visit.

We've been to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, San Carlos/Guymas, La Paz and Cabo, never felt uneasy there, the Mexican people are just so Gracious wherever we visit.

Last edited:

Sub

My brother and two of his friends and their families are headed down next week for two weeks. They have raw property about 30 miles east of town. They pretty much have their heads in the sand and didn't know basic facts about what happened other than what was reported in the news. They made the usual comparisons to crime in Phoenix ignoring population differences & lack of statistics. Most of these people are gun nuts like me and carry concealed so I'm surprised they feel so safe unarmed where now they know what could potentially happen. Odds are even if they have another gunfight they won't hear it where they are so they won't be deterred I guess. Plus they have a vested interest as they are still fighting for a bank trust for their property and are $100k invested. Everyone else I know made gave up on Mexico in the last decade or so as I have. I can do Hawaii for the same amount I usually spend on Mexico and now I have a timeshare in Tahiti which greatly reduces my costs to visit there.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
My brother and two of his friends and their families are headed down next week for two weeks. They have raw property about 30 miles east of town. They pretty much have their heads in the sand and didn't know basic facts about what happened other than what was reported in the news. They made the usual comparisons to crime in Phoenix ignoring population differences & lack of statistics. Most of these people are gun nuts like me and carry concealed so I'm surprised they feel so safe unarmed where now they know what could potentially happen. Odds are even if they have another gunfight they won't hear it where they are so they won't be deterred I guess. Plus they have a vested interest as they are still fighting for a bank trust for their property and are $100k invested. Everyone else I know made gave up on Mexico in the last decade or so as I have. I can do Hawaii for the same amount I usually spend on Mexico and now I have a timeshare in Tahiti which greatly reduces my costs to visit there.
Sub you kill me. 1st, I had no idea people still buy timeshares (for that I say sorry to hear of your recent purchase, hopefully the free night at a Hilton was worth it).
As much as you talk about needing a gun for safety and how you can't defend yourself in Mexico because you don't have a gun... well you happen to have purchased in one of the most restrictive gun control areas of the world (French Polynesia). You have been a mexico hater for some time (it's ok, its your right), nice to see that you pop up in here whenever something bad happens and lend a comment (I assume you do the same when something good happens in Mexico... wait in your mind that is not possible and thus it explains why you are quiet the majority of the time).

why don't you try to take your gun into French Polynesia and let us know in about 10-15 years how that worked out.

Sub

Thanks for your concern, but I "bought" that timeshare for $0. The maintenance fees cost me $710/yr which get me 7 night at about $101.42 in an overwater bungalow that typically would cost upwards of $500/night elsewhere. Even if I don't go I don't mind if I lose the money or I can easily sell it to other French Polynesia fanatics. There are no other charges except a local tax of about $5/day.

In no way am I advocating timeshares, that market is irretrievably broken IMO. I only "bought" this one as I can walk away without repercussions. I don't have to do any of that RCI BS either.

Yes gun ownership is very highly restrictive but still possible. Even the Gendarmes are not armed as there is not any crime to speak of there. One NBA player murdered his wife on a boat 20 years ago out on the open seas and it was attributed to Tahiti as that was the closest island. A local in the Marquesas murdered a couple of Swedes a few years ago and tried to eat the bodies to conceal the evidence. They caught him after a week of hiding in the jungle. That's 2000 some miles from Tahiti. The big news about 5 years ago was some local kid "breaking" into the bungalows (we don't lock the doors) and stealing cash and personal items. The locals figured out who it was and beat his ass silly. French Polynesia is true paradise so they don't have the problems you still get in Mexico. Try it sometime and I guarantee you'll forget all about Mexico.

I'll pop in here whenever I feel like it. Hate is a strong word, but I don't hate Mexico, I hate what the cartels and American developers have done to Sonora and Puerto Penasco. I'll post about whatever I want thank you.

Last edited:
I think your missing the whole point. You say "there are now job openings to replace the bad guys" Yes drug lords will always be in Mexico but not BASED in a small tourist town like RP. The Mexican military made it VERY clear to all future drug lords RP & tourist areas will NOT be your home. Maybe big cities like Jaurez, Tijuana & Mexico City yes but RP & tourists areas no, no, no....You say "it could have been easily accomplished" Disagree completely, a job like this is never easy. The bad guys decided to make it make it very difficult & the Mexican military did what they had to do wiping out every bad guy and not harming anyone else.

Sometimes it takes a STRONG message and a heavy hand to keep the peace for years to come. I am very glad the govt is protecting RP. Over the last few years the cartel situation has been trending back towards the way it was for decades w/ minimal issues & violence and one cartel domination. Its not quite there yet but it is heading that way. The Mexican govt knows this & is clearly setting the proper boundries for the cartels drug route operations.

Like someone said on this forum "Rocky Point Strong!" Life goes on & the Mexican govt has shown they have our back & they are willing to do whatever it takes to keep RP safe..
I'm on the same page... There are too many other cities and remote areas for the cartel to easily hide in. Distant ranch's , larger cities like TJ, Nogales, Mexicali, Hermosillo etc...For sure no need for cartel to live in a small American tourist area ( hard for cartel to blend in there and very easy for anyone to rent the place next door to him and take him out ). Pretty stupid to stay in Sandy Beach when you think about it. I would also have to believe that he knew he was gonna be killed and he figured no one would kill him there. Other cartel members now are probably not going to make that same home address mistake in the future. They now know that living at a place like that doesnt guarantee their safety...

jerry

I'm on the same page... There are too many other cities and remote areas for the cartel to easily hide in. Distant ranch's , larger cities like TJ, Nogales, Mexicali, Hermosillo etc...For sure no need for cartel to live in a small American tourist area ( hard for cartel to blend in there and very easy for anyone to rent the place next door to him and take him out ). Pretty stupid to stay in Sandy Beach when you think about it. I would also have to believe that he knew he was gonna be killed and he figured no one would kill him there. Other cartel members now are probably not going to make that same home address mistake in the future. They now know that living at a place like that doesnt guarantee their safety...
Mike, Penasco is in play and serves many purposes now that the Costera is finished to the border.You pretend to miss the more complex picture.My guess is you know as well as some of us Penasco is in for some shakey times but in the end will be OK.Shooting hotels up with helicopter gunships is not the answer.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

MikeHeadinTheSand

A~~LA```~~~~VERGA~~~~``` It's like talking to a brick wall with this guy. There is every need for them to be in RP. Just because you choose not to believe it, there is every need to be in RP and we're telling you why. Once again, wrong. Please tell me what the cartel looks like. Please. This man would still be sleeping there tonight if he hadn't broken company policy. This was in no way an effort to rid Penasco of whatever it is that you think they did. This man lived with impunity until he violated the company policy and had to be "let go".

Sub

You obviously weren't here but back in the day I was always saying that the Cartel would be moving into Puerto Penasco as the drug war heated up in Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez. What happens when you squeeze a something on both ends? It moves to the middle and now it's here.

( Mexico Thinks he knows it all Joe ) & Jerry...Think before you speak...I NEVER said shooting up a resort was the answer......and ( Know it all ) just because your a kid who smokes cartel weed and lives in the USA & goes to RP once a year doesnt make you an expert on the cartels or RP. You are ABSOLUTELY wrong the cartels DO NOT have to be living in the American Resorts on Sandy Beach to effectively monitor their drug shipments thru Sonora. Their is a million other safer better places for them to hide in the area like small ranches outside of town, a small house deep in town, nearby larger non tourist towns, etc etc...

Read my posts and THINK before you respond. The silent majority on this forum is tired of you fools who never have anything constructive to add to the discussion and simply bash people because they dare speak on YOUR forum. Just because you & Jerry sit at your computer 24/7 in Arizona and have been posting thousands of useless messages on this site doesnt make you the expert on cartels and RP. I live in RP I would have to say I have a better idea of whats going on here than you.

Everyone on this forum knows you all just bash and argue w/ anyone who is pro resorts & development in RP......Its getting really old guys.......There is a better forum for you guys to join & spend your 24/7 on its the www.ihatelifeandimbitter.com forum

Sub

Better listen to MikeHeadInSand, he is the one who decides who should be allowed to post or not and what kind of opinion you can have.

Rick S

MikeHeadinTheSandCartelAdvisor

Ever stop to figure you have "no need to live in a small American tourist area" either? But you do...along with lotsa folks. You know why? Cause it's 'nice' there...

These cartel guys make billions-millions of dollars....do you really think they want to live in some hole in the wall- small ranch-town? What good is all that money if you can't spend it?

DUH

jerry

Mike,Who are you?I just do not think living in your little pigeon coop bubble gives you as much knowledge about Mexico as I have .I ranch on the border where I deal with cartel violence,do business with Mexicans,have friends in the mining industry and spend time with farmers and lumber buyers that know what is happening from Matzatlan up to the border.I warned forum people last month that something was up.I was right so screw you.

MikeHeadinTheSandCartelAdvisor

Ever stop to figure you have "no need to live in a small American tourist area" either? But you do...along with lotsa folks. You know why? Cause it's 'nice' there...

These cartel guys make billions-millions of dollars....do you really think they want to live in some hole in the wall- small ranch-town? What good is all that money if you can't spend it?

DUH
LOL....Do you have any common sense? Criminals want to blend in, they want to NOT get killed or caught, they want to be surrounded by people they know and can trust, they want to keep making lots of money and not screw that up, they DONT want to piss of their boss or the govt........ITS A LITTLE HARD TO DO THAT in a tourist resort when you have strangers & new people checking into the units next to you, across from you, behind you every few days. (are these strangers cops? are they dea? are they other cartel that wants them dead? )

Cartel guys want to be in set neighborhoods and areas surrounded by people they can trust who wont point them out, turn them in & they know everyone who is supposed to be in that area......SORRY but a American tourist resort is the WORST place for these guys and they just found that out the hard way.

No wonder his own Cartel leader gave info to the military to take him out. HE WAS AN IDIOT CRIMINAL WHO MADE THE WRONG DECISIONS LIKE MOVING INTO A TOURIST RESORT.

And news flash for you buddy, a cartel guy can spend their money on many nice things easily all over Mexico without spending their cash on a frekin neon sign over their head saying ( come kill me im the idiot in the American Resort )...Its a little hard for a cartel guy to spend his cash when hes dead...