My computer is dying.....

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Hi gang,
My 15 year old computer is acting wacky. It is going in for a look see tomorrow and if it is done for, I won't have a new one until Sat. I'll be able to look in from work the rest of this week but won't be back until Sat. afternoon on the new one.

Chari... sometimes you just need to let things go and move on... 15 years is a long time are you still on dial-up??? :stir:

AZ ROB

Chari I have about 20 computers, monitors, and keyboards in my trailer I could work you one heck of a deal on one...:stir:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
No Mark, I'm not still on dial up..... LOL!
Rob, I am getting a laptop finally. I will use it at home and on the road.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Hey!
In my house you don't replace something until it breaks! Remember, I'm just a poor social worker..... What's a 300 baud modem?

Oh come on Chari....you remember those little boxes that you hooked up to a phone line "back in the day"....back before Al Gore invented the internet.....when everything was text based....programs were 64k or smaller, computers only had 640K in memory.....and it took a half hour to download a file that was only 100k in size????? Baud was synonymous with bits per second....while now we're in the mega bits per second.....

Oh forgot....that 15 yr. old computer was really an old 1985 IBM PC you inherited from someone....right???? Does it still have 5 1/4 floppy drives???? :rofl::stir:

playaperro

El Pirata
Lj, my buddy just bought a toshiba with an intel I3 4gb 640 with the verizon hot spot for $543 out the door. saw a nice notebook was $499 now for $299 at best buy.
Call me and I will more than happy to help you out.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Man, and I thought I was cheap only replacing my home desktop system every 6 or 7 years! I buy the best top-of-the-line system I can buy when I purchase and by the end of that timeframe, it's an absolute clunker. Technology marches on.

I do also have an up-to-date laptop. I remember paying over $2000 for my 1st 386 MediaBook laptop back in the day and it didn't even have a color screen! Now, you can pick up a laptop that has about a zillion times the horsepower of that old MediaBook for well under $500. I think the wife paid $399 for a nice Dell laptop at Walmart late last year.

AZ ROB

I went to Verizon to get a mifi (because I live out in the sticks and don't have internet) and if I upgraded to the $199 box plus what ever the plan cost a month I think $38. they gave me a notebook for free... Now if only my old eyes could see the screen it would be great...

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Joe, you crack me up! I have no idea what you said..........I did not inherit this computer. I bought it new. I don't know if it has floppy drives or not......

Playa, PM me your number.......

Check out the website www.gotapex.com you can find great deals each week.....and then there is Fry's Electronics...I think their ad comes out Wed. for the sales starting on Friday.

I just use a laptop with an additional flat screen monitor, although I have an older (not ancient, Chari) desktop in the house as a backup!

I went to Verizon to get a mifi (because I live out in the sticks and don't have internet) and if I upgraded to the $199 box plus what ever the plan cost a month I think $38. they gave me a notebook for free... Now if only my old eyes could see the screen it would be great...
My gosh Rob....doesn't Qwest have service out there in the boonies???? I even have it in what used to be Old Fartsville

playaperro

El Pirata
Joe, you crack me up! I have no idea what you said..........I did not inherit this computer. I bought it new. I don't know if it has floppy drives or not......

Just sent you a pm with #. Sure hope Kenny isn't reading this!

T

Tomcat

:deadhorse:Only 15 years old !!!! did the crank er' up' handle on the side finally break ????? Super glue it back on chari. :lol: I bought a new laptop 2 months ago. Toshiba Satellite, win.7 2gb ddr2 ram, 250 GB Hard drive.... at walmart for $278.... you cant even get half the parts for that price ! There almost disposable units now...Used a few years then replace it.