Nautical Ladder Dead in the Water

According to published reports in a number of Mexican publications, FONATUR (Federal Tourism Promotion Fund) has announced that the much ballyhooed Nautical Ladder's final form has been canceled and the assets of the 10 projects that have either been completed or partially completed will be sold. FONATUR, which over the past six years received investment from the federal government of more than 1500 million pesos for the project, made clear that they no longer have a budget for further investment in it.

Merrill Lynch has been chosen to act as broker for the sale of the assets.

See more: http://rptides.blogspot.com/2009/07/nautical-ladder-dead-in-water.html

jerry

FONATUR anticipated that 52,000 American boat owners would sail to these destinations and a good number would permanently move there. Fonatur estimated that 76,400 boats would be cruising the Baja coastlines by 2010 and that there would be 5.4 million nautical tourists by 2014. Some estimates state that FONATUR over-anticipated the number of yachts by as much as 600%.

Wow think how many upside down Arizona knuckleheads will be driving the dually gas pig truck(repo bait) from the forclosed over leveraged Phoenix house to San Diego to pickup the soon to be repossed powerboat/sailboat so they can hide out in mexico safe from the repo man.When you think about it that might be a good line for the RP boosters.....We are repo man free.

I think the mexicans are giving up on the boat ladder too soon

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I was a big fan of this project, but it was overly ambitious on a grand scale. I love to fish Baja and would love to explore more, but it's desolate. Adding a few decent marinas here and there would be a heck of an improvement! It's one thing to trailer a small boat to some of the destinations and launch from the beach. When you have a bigger boat, you're extremely limited as to where you can launch and where you can get fuel and supplies. In the meantime, I guess I'll stay with both Penasco and San Carlos.

Roberto

I had the idea that the Nautical Ladder project was responsible for building the new highways along the coast, like the completed one to El Golfo from Penasco. Anyone know if this is the case ? I hope they don't stop the construction down south and I have been hoping to see the highway extended from Penasco South.

Stuart, who the H--- is Roger and why do you care what he would do?

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Roger would go to Mexico and Roger would drink the tequila. That's what Roger would do. That 1st first video link above shows exactly what Roger would do, in his own words! (Thanks for the link, Pirate!)

Roberto, it's a fake bumper sticker I created, mocking the WWJD (What Would Jesus Do) that you see on the back of oh-so-many holier-than-thou Christian vehicles. Nothing against Christians, I just don't care what Jesus would do. I'm more interested in what Roger would do (as in Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers).

There's many, many of us who go to Penasco that care what Roger would do. Maybe I'll start a new religion. The Church of Roger Latter Day Saints and Sinners!

Last edited:

Roberto

:lol::lol: Sweet !

We started a religion in the early 60's. We would meet in the town of Woodstock, NY, long before the festival was a twinkle in the promotors eye. We all drove aged Brit sports cars or motorcycles and claimed our sacraments were sex, booze and certain other substances that allowed us to experience the 'rapture'. Our spiritual leader was a defrocked Catholic Bishop who had a log church up the mountain outside of town. (He didn't know he was our spiritual leader, he had his own gig ). Sunday services were outside, weather permitting, with guitars and congas and bongos and dancers darting around in the woods. Baez and Dylan both had houses in the area and Baez came to service occasionally, she even sang! Dylan was fooling with electric stuff and used to bring the band to Armstrong's, a black bar in Kingston NY. We'd go there on Saturday, (our day of intense worship) after the CORE meeting and dance all night (another of our sacraments). Sigh.... but NO we were not Hippies, we considered ourselves the last of the Beat generation as The Village was our other hang out and Leslie Irish, poet laureate of NYC worshiped with us there at Gerties Folk City or the Cafe Rafael on Bleeker. They used to throw the unknown Dylan out of Gerties in the very early days because he refused to wash and smelled so bad !!

The tax angle didn't amount to anything because no one had any money and certainly didn't pay taxes on what they made selling weed !!

Last edited:

Kenny

Just another note it was Dick Dale and the Del Tones not the Waves... he's also famous for this song from a popular movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLbpphhkFjA
Of course it was the Del Tones, :roll: ... I surfed and lived in Cali at that time, and I followed the waves, get it? Dick Dale was popular with Surfers, and the Beach Boy's were made fun of..except Dennis.

I was kidding Roberto about the "religion" they followed back there, on the right side.

Anyone remember the Golden Bear in Huntington beach?

Kenny

Last edited:
I can snap my fingers. Roberto...I get more and more curious about you as time goes by. Kenny too, but that's another story. You were at Woodstock? I was there for the great concert. Yes, I read that you were there before...
I'm the mother of five, grandmother of six and soon-to-be a great grandmother. Yet I'm still waaay more cool than any of my offspring!

P

Penasco Pirate

I'm hoping to get some RCPM, Kenny Chesney, Jimmy Buffett and such played at some bars down there! I'll put up the tunes if someone will just play 'em! I'd bet the people would come!

Tunes

Now Matt you have been to The Thirsty Parrot enough times to know all of that is played nonstop except for RC, which as soon as you bring the CD's that will happen....:cool:

P

Penasco Pirate

Yes, ma'am! I love the tunes at the Parrot! I'd prolly live there if you'd let me set up a tent on the balcony...Roger IS coming to the Parrot!