Problems on the U.S. Side

DMAC

I fought the law and the law won.
Sorry but let me know where pot is totally legal in the US without some kind of ailment and get back to me.
Yeah, and back in 1930s Germany it was totally illegal to be a Jew. Oh yeah, and back in 1760 it was totally illegal to be a runaway slave. And also for women to own property or vote. Should I go on? You want to play the "hey, it's the law" game, I can give you a million examples all the way back to Jesus being nailed on a cross for breaking "the law". That is the domain of idiots who carry out the worst atrocities of mankind so congratulations, here's your sign:

I'M A F'ING NAZI!

What does any of that have to do with todays laws? I guess its ok to go out and kill someone as long as it suits your needs right? Some of the smartest people I know are potheads but they lack common sense.

DMAC

What does any of that have to do with todays laws? I guess its ok to go out and kill someone as long as it suits your needs right? Some of the smartest people I know are potheads but they lack common sense.
OK I wish I could draw this out with crayons so you could understand it but the whole point is that just because some idiot wrote a law down on paper and got other people to go along with it does not make it right, moral or ethical. There is a long history of immoral, unethical and downright stupid laws. So saying "hey, it's the law" is no argument whatsoever. Also, there is no comparison to killing someone and smoking pot. When you trespass on your neighbor, you are committing a crime that is understandable to everyone because there is a victim. When you are smoking pot, you have no victim. The difference is protecting someone's right to life in the case of murder, and infringing on someone's right to self-determination by locking them up for using a substance that some corrupt and unethical individual made illegal.

DMAC....in one post you say you are an atheist, but you keep bringing up Jesus, scripture, and even using phrases that are "biblical" (Trespass on your neighbor)....so what are you? A "fallen" priest or minister....or still trying to come to terms with your atheism? Just wondering?

DMAC

DMAC....in one post you say you are an atheist, but you keep bringing up Jesus, scripture, and even using phrases that are "biblical" (Trespass on your neighbor)....so what are you? A "fallen" priest or minister....or still trying to come to terms with your atheism? Just wondering?
No, I was raised in the Roman church but I find that people who feel the need to control other people's lives generally have some sort of religious belief behind their sanctimoniousness so I try to use terms in which they can relate to. If I start quoting John Locke or Adam Smith or Francis Bacon I am likely to lose their attention. People who cling to superstition are not generally guided by reason, so you need to return to superstition to bring them to reason.

Just maybe there are people out there who do not pick and choose which laws they will obey....but if they disagree with a particular one, they approach it a different way then what you seem to be proposing...they try to change the laws, since they still believe that the "system" can and does work.....that does not make them sanctimonious, superstitious, or warranting your attack.....I'm surprised you haven't called anyone a nazi yet! One person's "reason" is another person's "madness"!

jerry

i love this guy!!!!

Yeah, and back in 1930s Germany it was totally illegal to be a Jew. Oh yeah, and back in 1760 it was totally illegal to be a runaway slave. And also for women to own property or vote. Should I go on? You want to play the "hey, it's the law" game, I can give you a million examples all the way back to Jesus being nailed on a cross for breaking "the law". That is the domain of idiots who carry out the worst atrocities of mankind so congratulations, here's your sign:

I'M A F'ING NAZI!

Kenny

Just maybe there are people out there who do not pick and choose which laws they will obey....but if they disagree with a particular one, they approach it a different way then what you seem to be proposing...they try to change the laws, since they still believe that the "system" can and does work.....that does not make them sanctimonious, superstitious, or warranting your attack.....I'm surprised you haven't called anyone a nazi yet! One person's "reason" is another person's "madness"!
We all choose what laws we're going to obey Joe. You must know that.

DMAC

If you want to control someone else, you're a Nazi ( there you have it). Laws are only valid in that they protect the rights of individuals. Laws that infringe on individual rights, are not valid laws. Would you follow a law that provided you had to hand over a Jew to the state? How about a runaway slave? Idiots think that just because they don't want to use cannabis then they don't need to stand up for the right to use cannabis are like people who are not Jews in 1930s Germany choosing not to interfere with the law because they seemingly don't have a stake in it. People who stand by and cheer on peaceful people being locked in cages should feel ashamed of themselves. I honestly don't know why they don't, but as you see to some people "the law is that law".

If you want to control someone else, you're a Nazi ( there you have it). Laws are only valid in that they protect the rights of individuals. Laws that infringe on individual rights, are not valid laws. Would you follow a law that provided you had to hand over a Jew to the state? How about a runaway slave? Idiots think that just because they don't want to use cannabis then they don't need to stand up for the right to use cannabis are like people who are not Jews in 1930s Germany choosing not to interfere with the law because they seemingly don't have a stake in it. People who stand by and cheer on peaceful people being locked in cages should feel ashamed of themselves. I honestly don't know why they don't, but as you see to some people "the law is that law".
I'm not going to try to convince you that your "reason" is "madness" to me, just like I wouldn't try to convince a fundamentalist religious type the "madness" of his thinking. It's not possible!

DMAC

I'm not going to try to convince you that your "reason" is "madness" to me, just like I wouldn't try to convince a fundamentalist religious type the "madness" of his thinking. It's not possible!
I suspect that is because you have no reason. If you want to be an apologists for people who think it's OK to lock up peaceful people, then do so, don't beat around the bush about it.

We all choose what laws we're going to obey Joe. You must know that.
I agree Kenny....but I also weigh the consequences, and make that conscious decision to do so. I don't go ranting and raving that the people (the cops/prosecutors) who may enforce those laws are pigs, and that the system is broken and doesn't work!

Kenny

I suspect that is because you have no reason. If you want to be an apologists for people who think it's OK to lock up peaceful people, then do so, don't beat around the bush about it.
Jerry and I have known our friend Joe here for years, and we've seen him struggle with his right wing conservative ways many times. I've seem him have moments of clarity, but he shakes it off... I think it scares him.

I don't need to quote various authors or the bible....to show I can think. I also don't need to call people names, or try to belittle them....