Thanksgiving weekend roll call - Nov 25, 2010

joester

2 salty dawgs
I did a search and saw last years Thanksgiving roll call was started on this day - Sept 10.
let's get the ball rolling for what will be our 3rd consecutive cyber-gathering of forum folks.
I know Chuck and Val along with Kenny and Chari and some others have a longer run than that too.
last year the weekend flew by: from the potluck on Thanksgiving day, boat trip to Bird Island (snorkling and fishing) on Friday, followed by a fish fry Saturday at Bill and Edna's (and a birthday party), and then a shrimp boil Sunday in the rain at our space.
If Mark can look into the boat, I know those of us who went would LOVE to do that again.
as to Thanksgiving day potluck - it's been a great feast each year so far!
count Teri and I in for sure, and I'll check with the boss(Teri) to see what we'll bring this year (other than margaritas and sippin tequila).
let us begin the countdown!

AZ ROB

Mark put Michelle and I down for 1 deep fried turkey on the beach as well as some other sides.... This sounds like a blast

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Boy, Joe!
You're just like a little boy who can't wait for Christmas! LOL! Yeah, I can't wait either! So much fun! Put me down for a batch of Mark's peanut butter thingees, a pie of some sort and potatoes au gratin. I think I'll bring my mom if she wants to come. She finally broke down and got a passport card. My sister and her family go to the Dunes every year so we have our dinner on the Sat. after anyway.

I'll be there....early for a change! I've been down the past 2-3 years, but never made it in time for the pot luck....always had family get-together at my house before coming down.

If someone's bringing a deep fryer....I'll bring a turkey or two.... We ought to try a deep fried ham too!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Deep fried ham? That sounds positively yummilicious and like a heart attack on a plate! LOL!

I did one a couple years back (Christmas time in Penasco)...the ham gets a bit charred on the outside....but it was super juicy and tender inside!!!

MIRAMAR

Has anyone tried a "Sand Turkey"? Last Thanksgiving, amongst much teasing, I dug a large pit, started a huge fire, then when the coals were hot, wrapped a turkey in aluminum foil which was put in an aluminum foil roaster, put the turkey on the coals, took some coals and put them on top of the turkey, and then buried and covered it in sand. Everyone said it was the most moist, best tasting turkey, so I'm doing it again this year. The only bad part is you can't do gravy.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
There will be three of us as usual, Two home made pumpkin pies, Alicia's killer mashed potatoes and seven layer salad and as we get closer to that date maybe something else as always!!

AZ ROB

Joe I will be bringing down my deep fryer for the party along with a turkey. I may also bring down some wings to make up an appetzer for the group.
Nothing like hot wings and cold beer while waiting for the turkey to cook...

I have a large container of peanut oil from Costco (still sealed) that I bought last year for Thanksgiving but due to a death in the family, we weren't in the mood for any celebration. I know the oil becomes rancid once opened after about 3-6 months. Does anyone know if it should still be good to use if it hasn't been opened?

I guess I could wait until next month, open it and try it.....HUH?????

Last edited:

AZ ROB

Joe it is a 50/50 shot? I know I have used oil that was over a year old (due to an over buy forgot we had it) and it was just fine. I wouldn't do that with oil that has been heated. BTW I do have 2 fryers if you would like me to bring them both let me know....

The one thing I hate about deep frying is the cleanup afterwards.......you almost can't avoid a little splatter and spill over of the oil.....

Rob....depending on how many people will be there and how much food....I'm sure everything would go quicker with 2....I used to make 3 turkeys....one for the meal, another for the family to take home wih them, and the last for "my" leftovers....with small ones in the 10-12 lb. range, it went quick!

A

azbeachboy

Mark and I talked about this yesterday,. I'm more than willing to have the feast at my trailer again. I had over 30' feet of tables last year and all in the shade. I don't visit this site very often but you can find me on facebook, Chuck Helton.

Attachments

Yes and there is that drunken piece of concrete that I, in all my sobriety, ran over with the Suzuki. OH YES FOR TURKEY DAY Edna and I will be there with something.

joester

2 salty dawgs
Chuck -
we appreciate the offer again.
can't think of a place we'd rather be on Thanksgiving.
we'll be a party of 3 - Michele will be coming down with us again - she's very excited as we are to see everyone!

Last Thanksgiving was the start of our Rocky Point Talk Bird Island Trips... I have the same deal on the PACIFICA as I did for Memorial Day...

So, I would like to raise $1000.00 for the schools just as we did on the Memorial Day trip... same price $55.00 per person BYOB...

if you would like to attend please send your RSVP to me at [email protected]