The Elephant in the Room...THE WALL

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
I wouldn't buy a Mexican tomato in a USA grocery store if it was ten cents. They are all rock hard, unripe, GMO, pink Roma's all grown and picked by machines, never touched by a human hand. And by the way, all of the lettuce in your grocery store is grown right here in Yuma AZ USA and picked by high paid unionized Mexicans brought from deep inside Mexico that are shipped here in $300,000.00 commercial tour buses. They live in what used to be public housing apartment complexes but is now contracted out by the Yuma USA based produce companies. They are bussed to and from the fields in those fancy rigs. They get here in November and leave in May. Most drive back home in new cars and trucks. There are no locals natives or otherwise that can get into that line of work here any longer. Earlier this week I paid one dollar a head for Iceberg Lettuce at out local Frys store, grown just a few blocks from my home here in Yuma. Take a look at the country of origin label before you spout total BS.

President Trump is getting rid of illegal foreign CRIMINALS many of them have been deported TEN times or more! What is wrong with that?

JJ

jerry

Well Known Member
Your just being ignorant...go to Sprouts etc. and check country of origin...a mixed bag but much from mexico..the lack of labor is killing the Cali growers..Where do you think all that Asparagus,grapes and melons grown around Caborca are headed? This will be a huge economic hit...

jerry

Well Known Member
Jim some of us that live in southern Arizona have non papered family members,life long friends,workers with wives and children who are citizens...pretty cold blooded of you saying stuff like that...sort of a small man for all your bad assed talk picking on the weak..I think you should apologize... everyone makes mistakes

Bob Oso

Well Known Member
What might be a good course of action for Mexico and its citizens is stop agonizing over the effects of the policies that the new administration is imposing, and maybe start focusing on the corruption that runs the Mexican government.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
I figured that would wake some of you up.

I am sorry Jerry. I live in southern Arizona too. Probably closer to the line than you. Yuma has already become part of Mexico. Only a few hundred holdouts like me left here. In fact I see and talk to more Gringo's in PP than I ever see here.

As for the farm labor shortage in CA and AZ just thank the United Farm Workers Union for that, sixteen dollars an hour to pick weeds and get full bennies? No one from Mexico comes up here to work in the fields anymore. That's because very little labor intensive farm work exists here or in CA. Any farm operation that thinks it can make a profit has gone mechanized due to the unpredictable human labor force available. There are still a few farm labor buses that pick up workers at the border in San Luis but as I mentioned above, the big boys recruit young single military looking types from way down south.

And as a matter of fact I was born ignorant, and there ain't no Sprouts here and I always load up on Asparagus in PP since it's the same damn thing from the same damn place sold at the markets here only cheaper and fresher.

Still no answer from anyone actually in PP today concerning fuel availability. I can't make it from Yuma to PP and back on a single tank fill. Was planning on going down tomorrow. Oh well, guess I'll just go out to the fields and steal some lettuce tomorrow.

JJ

Landshark

Well Known Member
Do you have a summer growing season? We live in the Phoenix area and plant early maturing varieties now. The growing season is pretty much over by May. The rest of the time is store-bought that have no taste.

RoadKill

1 Iron
Do you have a summer growing season? We live in the Phoenix area and plant early maturing varieties now. The growing season is pretty much over by May. The rest of the time is store-bought that have no taste.
We plant a little later, but not much. We pick into June. That's the reason for the early morning/late evening picking. Gets too hot to mess with them as the day heats up.
We use to plant strawberries too, but gave it up when my father retired because I don't have the time to tend to them with my work schedule.

jerry

Well Known Member
You guys are getting off topic...hard for me too but trying to keep this on on the ground news on the wall and its effects on us with skin in the game in Mexico....big money is at stake for us!