The Homeport...A reason a week it is a bad idea

“Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.”
George Carlin
"Eventually, alas, I realized the main purpose of buying cocaine is to run out of it."
_George Carlin

Your point is?

Of his quotes this one probably actually applies to this thread.

"The planet is fine. The people are fucked."
-George Carlin

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
Also heard A outfitter from Baja was here looking for a place to do camel tours in the Pinacates or to the south.....which from my trip to Egypt I can tell you is a real pain in the ass but fun. Also looking for a zip line location down south and found a good one in the mountains you access by crossing the tracks before the Alduna checkpoint 30 miles south.He was really discouraged by the level of Homeport progress too..
View attachment 7293
Never seen a happier camel!

jerry

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/puerto_penasco As global warnings effects increase the wind will make more problems for the homeport....constant dredging,sand blasting winds,wells drying up...a wasteland ruled by roving bands of armed men in off-road vehicles ....hey sounds like fun.....maybe The Road Warrior/ Mad Max day trip for cruisers....image.jpg

Translated from another story in there. The distribution of money and where the majority of the money spent on the tours make PP sound like the Parking Garage at an Airport Terminal.

Mexico, DF - Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, will host the first home port for cruises in Mexican territory.
It is estimated that open their doors in 2016, in accordance with Guillermo Ruiz of Teresa, general coordinator of Ports and Merchant Marine of the SCT.
This project will leave a poured out economic of up to $12 million per month in the region, but, according to authorities and experts, will also require stronger regulation for the cruise industry.
The home port is in a breakwater, a pier and terminal building, with a combined investment of more than one billion pesos, virtually all from the federal budget.
Although several Mexican ports, such as Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Cozumel, are frequently visited by these vessels, only benefit from a part of the business: the shopping that the tourists do while walking around its streets.
Eduardo González Cid, adviser and liaison of the Tourism Committee of the Chamber of Senators for the cruise industry, explained that the fuel load and the victualling, which also generate millions of dollars in resources, remain in the ports from which these vessels, which in the case of the Pacific are San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego.
Cruise ships in the Caribbean are often out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale or San Juan.
Javier Tapia, holder of the Tourism Commission of Sonora, said that with the construction of this home port, the Mexican Government will increase the economic benefits for the northwest region of the country, because the associated paths were drawing ports of Sonora, Sinaloa, Baja California Sur and Baja California.
With the attraction of a single vessel, will generate an economic impact of $3 million weekly for the region.
A third of those resources come from the services of victualling of food, drinks and other necessary inputs for the journey.
Another million dollars generated by the sale of fuel, in the port of Guaymas, where there is already the necessary infrastructure.
The remaining million would be associated with the expenditure that the tourists do while tours.

Kinda sounds like the ship will come into port with fuel and provisions, pic up passengers and then the last 1/3 of the monies will be spread through out the rest of the stops on the tour?

No matter which translator I use that story is just sad. I thought that this was pretty funny as well...
The 'home' port of Peñasco, unknown by the cruise companies.

o_O

Last edited:

jerry

Guaymas makes out.....but except for the unfortunate hassle this reaccouring event will visit on american visitors it is sort of free money.... no bonds etc.....except the costs of upkeep,extra police ,wear and tear on the already broke down infrastructure...strings are attrached... We just can't see them yet

Penasco being selected by Mexico's Federal Gov. To be the first & only home port in Mexico I believe will be a huge success for the Penasco's economy. The negative comments are from naysayers who always pop up no matter any projects long term benefits to the population. Miami, FL. Has a few dozen or more cruise ships coming and going weekly, there's one or two other home ports on the west coast of Fl. I'm not aware of any pollution issues brought by the ships. IMO & as a cruiser myself, I can only see positives for the citizens of Penasco. The list of benefits the ships bring to a local economy is enormous. Not one person from Penasco need work on the ships to benefit from the business activity generated by the ships. Overall the Home Port is the best thing to happen here in a long long time. I can't wait to see ships docking. Penasco's growth will be awesome and its population will benefit greatly. Don't bet against this one.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Penasco being selected by Mexico's Federal Gov. To be the first & only home port in Mexico I believe will be a huge success for the Penasco's economy. The negative comments are from naysayers who always pop up no matter any projects long term benefits to the population. Miami, FL. Has a few dozen or more cruise ships coming and going weekly, there's one or two other home ports on the west coast of Fl. I'm not aware of any pollution issues brought by the ships. IMO & as a cruiser myself, I can only see positives for the citizens of Penasco. The list of benefits the ships bring to a local economy is enormous. Not one person from Penasco need work on the ships to benefit from the business activity generated by the ships. Overall the Home Port is the best thing to happen here in a long long time. I can't wait to see ships docking. Penasco's growth will be awesome and its population will benefit greatly. Don't bet against this one.

The fact that you are comparing Miami Florida and PP tells me that you are irrational. I do not need to know anything else.

jerry

image.jpg image.jpg "First AND ONLY". Right........

A friend just returned from Manzanillo to look at coffee plantation a buddy owns and play golf on the family private course.The city has plenty of fish to fry but is poised to capture the Mexican cruise market when it becomes a reality. Wading in the surf on his first day he stepped on a nail in a piece of wood...right through his foot it went...."with growth there is pain" his Mexican buddy noted..
Air
Playa de Oro International Airport lies between a long and secluded white-sand beach and tropical groves of bananas and coconut, 35km northwest of Manzanillo’s Zona Hotelera on Hwy 200.

Alaska Airlines (334-22-11; airport) Direct service to Los Angeles.

America West (from the US 800-235-92-92) Direct service from Phoenix.

Continental (from the US 800-231-08-56) Direct service to Houston.

Providing direct service to Mexico City:

Aeroméxico (from the US 800-237-66-39, airport 334-12-26)

Mexicana (from the US 800-531-79-21, from Mexico 555-998-5998)

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mexico/central-pacific-coast/manzanillo/transport/getting-there-away#ixzz3Sm2JzCEy

Last edited:

jerry

Bastards are planning one of those evil " swim with the Dolphins" parks....makes me sick

From the Sonoran "What me Worry" blog
"In our Home Port X blog Wendy mentioned they would need a total of 73,000 one ton concrete cubes to complete the need for that size cube. There are approximately 6,000 poured right now. They will also need approximately 8,000 of the 10 ton cubes, of which they now have approximately 400 and are waiting on the arrival of more molds for both sizes."

So they have 10% of them done?

MIRAMAR

OK Jerry, I never thought I would say this, but we found common ground! I can't stand those Dolphin parks either. If you want to swim w/ the dolphins, go out on a fishing boat, and jump in! Don't break up a dolphin family for your pleasure.

jerry

And the pay......
How does that compare to a cleaner from Jamaica who works on a Royal Caribbean ship 10 to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, with no time off and no benefits? A cleaner on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship makes around $550 a month performing strenuous work under difficult circumstances, far from the comforts of home. That turns out to around $1.75 an hour. They are tied to contracts lasting anywhere from 6 to 9 months without a single day off.

playaperro

El Pirata
Bastards are planning one of those evil " swim with the Dolphins" parks....makes me sick

From the Sonoran "What me Worry" blog
"In our Home Port X blog Wendy mentioned they would need a total of 73,000 one ton concrete cubes to complete the need for that size cube. There are approximately 6,000 poured right now. They will also need approximately 8,000 of the 10 ton cubes, of which they now have approximately 400 and are waiting on the arrival of more molds for both sizes."

So they have 10% of them done?
What if they were rescued dolphins and let go like flipper lol. http://www.sonoranresorts.mx/part-xi-economic-impact-of-home-port-on-puerto-penasco/

Hey Jerry I think you and this gal have something in common!
Was that a Dolphin Taco shop? Man that must suck dragging a kicking and screaming Dolphin to the killing floor! :rolleyes:
Sorry, to all vegetarians and vegans but science has proven that the final push to our brains evolutionary development was eating cooked foods and meats.
Just one of many links to reports and studies. SCIENCE! lol.
http://www.livescience.com/24875-meat-human-brain.html

How ever back to what Jerry is saying is just leave the damn Dolphins where they belong, swimming in the Ocean and feel fortunate to see them when you are out.
Here is some interesting and disturbing info about these swim with programs.
http://www.prijatelji-zivotinja.hr/index.en.php?id=92

"Hazards to Health
In their frantic pursuit of profits, the operators of petting pools and swim with programmes will not tell the participants that they risk a hazard not to just the dolphin's health but their OWN! Certain illnesses can be transmitted, such as salmonella from dolphins to humans. Add to this that there is also the possibility of being injured by one of natures the top predators. Due to the stress of being caged and the fact that they do not have an escape mechanism, dolphins have been known to butt and bite swimmers. A few years ago the US authorities suspended "swim with programs" because of concern to the health of dolphins and the injuries sustained by swimmers."

jerry

she is just awesome!!!!!! and the only non fat person in the room.... have you ever believed in anything Perro?