The Homeport...A reason a week it is a bad idea

jerry

Think Nautical Ladder and the halted La Costera Jim. Filled in with drifting sand and incomplete poorly maintained roads...this wind mill will not need much help before it hits the ground...problem is the Sea of Cortez and the interests of american beach home owners will be damaged as it rises and then crashes to the earth.

GV Jack

Snorin God
My God Jerry, I'm no fan of the port. I used to enjoy the scene from the Wrecked and Mare Blu but now it's a bunch of rocks.

I swear though you have become more lugubrious than a Mahler Symphony. I thank God I've not got that much time left so
I won't die on the filth, waste and end of the earth that is known as Home Port. Cheerio.

jerry

My God Jerry, I'm no fan of the port. I used to enjoy the scene from the Wrecked and Mare Blu but now it's a bunch of rocks.

I swear though you have become more lugubrious than a Mahler Symphony. I thank God I've not got that much time left so
I won't die on the filth, waste and end of the earth that is known as Home Port. Cheerio.
almost done GV!

playaperro

El Pirata
Just dealing with the facts and one of those facts is Russ is a part time PAID front man for Rocky Point movers and shakers......Miramar is just mad downtown Tucson is coming alive,the streetcar Is a success and all those little people she sees from her foothills stronghold are having a great time.Perro ...who knows... Maybe he really wants to jamb on a third rate over the hill cruise ship with a herd of drunken .sweaty.over weight,sun burnt party till they drop cruise fans....after being stuck in a border traffic jamb for three hours then on return finding out the bad element drawn to town have burglarized his Las Conchas home.
Since you brought up burglarizes I overheard today that quite a few houses in Cholla have been cleaned out of furniture in the last week.

playaperro

El Pirata

What a bitch huh GV, people need jobs to eat too. I mean I get it just a visitor couple times a year but you got to remember most people come to the USA and work under the table because there are no jobs in town. Homeport has its good and bad.

jerry

Since you brought up burglarizes I overheard today that quite a few houses in Cholla have been cleaned out of furniture in the last week.
That is difference between Perro and the booster types....he defends his town but also tells the truth

The last cruise I was on was GREAT! Over 5000 people on the cruise ship. We visited Spain, Italy, Yugoslavia and spent an extraordinary amount of time off the beautiful coast of Lebanon... blowing shit up on a daily basis!

View attachment 7292
I bet the fish finder works really well on that panga!

While I am on the save the environment and make sure the locals get theirs side, I would really like to see some prospectus of how many LOCAL jobs they are planning on creating and what kind of environmental impact studies that show anything to the contrary of the possibilities that have been posted in this thread.

So far the only thing posted in any of the threads dealing with this issue that have been in the Pro is simply an interview saying that this will be great. And the only thing any person that is pro the port has had to offer is the fact they think anyone posting anything negative are an asshole.

I appreciate Jerry's passion for the subject and the fact he has spent time actually looking up and providing information that is relative to the subject. So I/we are not just going from someones unfounded opinion on the matter.

I am not speaking for anyone but myself when I say that, just because I am against the negative and very possible realities of the the impact this could have on the ecosystem doesn't mean I don't care about Puerto Peñasco. It's the exact opposite.
I hope for Puerto Peñascos sake that he is wrong.

Last edited:

jerry

What a bitch huh GV, people need jobs to eat too. I mean I get it just a visitor couple times a year but you got to remember most people come to the USA and work under the table because there are no jobs in town. Homeport has its good and bad.
The problem is RockyPoint cannot handle more people.The Sea can't take it,the infrastructure either ...those people may need jobs but chances are many will be filled by outsiders.I wish we had a good green card system were a guy or girl from Sonora could work for 6 months then by law had to return for 6 months to their town in Mexico....

Terry C

Jerry, just like when Walmart and Sam's club were built there. The lines of Penasco people were long looking for work. The contractors brought in all their own workers. The home port may be no different. Who will be in charge of hiring these people to work the port? Who has port experience in Mexico?
They can't even get the rocks right......
Almost Free!

MIRAMAR

Hah Jerry, you're sounding angry again. We were at Janos last Friday with the "little people" as you say. The food was not as good as when it was at La Paloma. His Shrimp tacos there were the best outside of Penasco. We'll just have to eat them at Blancos along with their Ceviche from our "stronghold". Yes we saw the streetcar, but the overhead wires are UGLY. I'm surprised you're not talking about the visual pollution. I don't know why they don't put in a hybrid bus that looks like a trolley- much more environmentally conscious.

It would be nice to see any information on that. Something to the effect of, hiring X amount of people and providing paid training.
It would probably be feasible to relocate a hand full of people to run the show and not worry about the locals.
I have no clue how many people it will take to run the Port from a management position but there can't be that many people needed. Maybe 2 handfuls of baggage handlers... It would be really interesting to know this kind of info. Anyone?

jerry

It would be nice to see any information on that. Something to the effect of, hiring X amount of people and providing paid training.
It would probably be feasible to relocate a hand full of people to run the show and not worry about the locals.
I have no clue how many people it will take to run the Port from a management position but there can't be that many people needed. Maybe 2 handfuls of baggage handlers... It would be really interesting to know this kind of info. Anyone?
Angry, no sorry I was just kidding you...funny your idea of slumming is eating at that fancy pants Euro joint...the streetcar deserves a ride before you decide...looks like a blue whale. Like it!

jerry

If the quality of life at vacation spot is negatively effected (crime,cruise ship related crowding,environmental issues etc.) You start seeing less long term visitor stays.This type of visitor builds houses,remodels,spends money at stores other that T-shirt shops.These people move on...the job gains might be significant ( most very low pay) but the job losses will be too. The municipality cannot handle this...they are political hacks that cannot even keep the potholes fixed on their section of the coastal.Do you see much hope they won't turn this into a mess?

playaperro

El Pirata
Hah Jerry, you're sounding angry again. We were at Janos last Friday with the "little people" as you say. The food was not as good as when it was at La Paloma. His Shrimp tacos there were the best outside of Penasco. We'll just have to eat them at Blancos along with their Ceviche from our "stronghold". Yes we saw the streetcar, but the overhead wires are UGLY. I'm surprised you're not talking about the visual pollution. I don't know why they don't put in a hybrid bus that looks like a trolley- much more environmentally conscious.
Blanco tacos & Tequila nice place great happy hour, also nobody actually knew how downtown would take off, even the homeless have moved in with their little pads, you wouldn't happen to be one of the few making them Jerry?

Roberto

Thinking , if ships actually do come, and that is not a given by far. One could take the condo rental market as sort of a model of what kind of work might be created. Keep in mind this is to be a home port where they embark and disembark. I guess there might be two different goups of employees, those at the port and those on the ship. They might have different employers, the port managers and the cruise ship managers.

Vacationers arrive and stay for a predetermined period, in a very restricted place on the ship. They eat, drink, sleep, party and create all the trash and stuff that those activities generate. This stuff, except for the poo apparently, is stored on the ship and the food and drinks are consumed. During this period the onboard crew serves, and cleans as needed. At the end of their vacation they leave and leave behind, trash, dirty linnen, dirty staterooms, dirty public areas, hallways decks, bars, restaurant. The trash has to be removed and hauled away, the linnens replaced with clean and the dirty stuff washed for reuse. Food and drink has to be delivered, loaded and stored. These activities might be carried out by the land crew. I would guess that they will try to have a short time in dock as that is dead time for income. Seems to me the in port crew might be larger than the on ship crew given the logistics involved. The in port crew will prolly not work much while the ship is crusing. So plug people into the kinds of work created if I am thinking right. You can prolly come up with some modifications to my thinking.

ben21

I guess there might be two different goups of employees, those at the port and those on the ship. They might have different employers, the port managers and the cruise ship managers.
Cruise ship companies are based in countries that don't have many (if any) labor laws. This allows them to pay basically whatever they want. If you ever go on a cruise, you'll notice that most workers are from countries even poorer than Mexico. If I were a local, why would I want to earn the same pay I'm already making to be stuck in crammed living quarters away from my family? Might as well just jump the border and work in the states...

As for on-shore crew, I have no idea. Hopefully given the logistics and the fact that they probably have to be Mexican, these people will make a fair wage. Of course this would mean ships actually come. I'd be curious to know how many people the new international airport employs? One, two people? I'm guessing once the dust settles after a big ribbon cutting ceremony with several politicians, this will suffer the same fate.