Todays Gas Price Rise....and us because it's all about us

I think the issue with gas at 3 bucks a gallon is most Americans can deal with it. Especially those coming to vacay in RP. The poor and even middle class Mexicans in RP and Mexico in general are having a very tough time with gas costing that much. They just don't have the disposable income to pay the difference. At the end of the day, the massive, long term corruption in Mexico is responsible but the poor take it on the chin, again.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I think the issue with gas at 3 bucks a gallon is most Americans can deal with it. Especially those coming to vacay in RP. The poor and even middle class Mexicans in RP and Mexico in general are having a very tough time with gas costing that much. They just don't have the disposable income to pay the difference. At the end of the day, the massive, long term corruption in Mexico is responsible but the poor take it on the chin, again.
That's why it's good to be King. Or Queen! ;)

But, agree wholeheartedly. I'll pump 100+ gallons into the boat for a day of fishing (holds 230 gallons). While not cheap, I watch the panga guys filling up a couple of 5 gallon plastic jugs for their fishing day and often wonder if they don't have the right idea!

JimMcG

Before the recent gas price increases there was quite a differential between gas prices in Sonoyta and Peñasco. I wonder if anyone who has filled up in Sonoyta recently could comment on whether Sonoyta gas prices are still cheaper than in Peñasco. Thanks.

The difference was because Mexican law allowed gas stations within 20 kilometers? of the border to have lower prices so Mexicans wouldn't just cross into the US to purchase their gas. I don't know if that law is rescinded with the new rules effective Jan 1. Still too shaky for me to even head south of the border.

jerry

The difference was because Mexican law allowed gas stations within 20 kilometers? of the border to have lower prices so Mexicans wouldn't just cross into the US to purchase their gas. I don't know if that law is rescinded with the new rules effective Jan 1. Still too shaky for me to even head south of the border.
No the subsides were removed 12/31/16 with no notice...that is why some of the shortages happened...Mexico city was telling San Luis etc. that they were now going to purchase gas at 15 but should sell at 12.4....then would get it back months later....the station owners said no..some of them are narcos with ties to the crooked mayor of Sonoyta by the way and have abused the locals in all kinds of ways...on another note the Santa Ana toll road has been opened for 11 straight days...free thanks to the pissed off Mexican people! The government did end up giving in so on the 10th the subsides were worked out....stations opened and gas sold at 12 or so

Last edited:

JimMcG

12+\- pesos for green pump, regular unleaded (sin plomo) would work out around $2.25/gallon which would be in line with the reported 20% increase and still quite manageable. Can anyone verify that price in Sonoyta? Thanks.

mondone

Whitecaps
Before the recent gas price increases there was quite a differential between gas prices in Sonoyta and Peñasco. I wonder if anyone who has filled up in Sonoyta recently could comment on whether Sonoyta gas prices are still cheaper than in Peñasco. Thanks.
All I can say as I stated previously is that I paid $2.90 in Sonoyta after the 1st of January and I'm hearing PP is about $3.00 now. That difference is certainly a lot narrower than what I experienced in 2016 which was about a 50 to 70 cents a gallon between PP and the border.

JimMcG

All I can say as I stated previously is that I paid $2.90 in Sonoyta after the 1st of January and I'm hearing PP is about $3.00 now. That difference is certainly a lot narrower than what I experienced in 2016 which was about a 50 to 70 cents a gallon between PP and the border.
Right.

Estella

Pena Nieto is doing the right thing. This had to be done like 20 years ago. You can't blame the current president for mismanagement acts of prior presidents. People in Europe pay even more for fuel, that's why small diesel engine cars are popular there.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Why is it that Americans think they should "know" what is right everywhere else.

If Mexicans can't afford gas, they simply don't drive. I have seen it over and over. Mexico has to charge the world rate for gas to attract investors and to bring the model up to par. If some can no longer afford gas then that is the way it is. Just because right now your gas is cheap and life is great with the strong dollar and all.....you may be shocked when that goes away and the price of gas goes to the world market and the dollar is second place. Things....they are a changin.