Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

Eric

The A building has bullet holes on the main floor, or the stucco below the main floor, across from Villa 8. There are 2 spots of bullet holes on the stucco probably made by a strafing cartel AK 47. There are 2 bullet holes on the 5th floor, at the location of the condo where a Federal sniper was located. There were no bullet holes on floors 2,3,4 or floors 6,7,8 that I could see.

The fact that there were less than 20 bullet holes across from Villa 8 (on building A), and literally 100s of bullets holes on Villa 8 seems to indicate the Federales totally dominated the firefight. This is also supported by the fact that no Federales died, but many cartel members died on that day. I was just expecting more damage around the complex, and it is not to be found.

I have heard so many stories in the 1.5 weeks on what happened at Bella Sirena that are not supported by my observations today. I don't say this to downplay the seriousness of the event - I am just reporting what I saw. I will be back there tomorrow and I will try to take some pictures to post.

Attached is a map of Bella Sirena I found on the internet, Villa 8 is the villa pointing right at the letters "AA" which indicate the A building. The A building is the 8 story building that is closest to Las Palmas and the Sea.
I agree absolutely the Military dominated that fight without any doubt. The fire power the military brought that day the cartel didnt stand any chance. Most of the cartel was dead in the first 30 - 45 minutes. The slower paced shooting that went on for the next 2.5 hours was just a mop up of the 1 or 2 cartel guys left behind by their fleeing cartel friends. Those guys hunkered down & were pinned down until they met their doom. The helos were just there to terrify the cartel into giving up or fleeing. Blasts by the helos near the cartel guys was a mental game changer that morning.

Eric

Heard the Reef was sold out. And a lot, I mean a lot of cars headed South today as I was headed North.
It wouldnt surprise me if it was sold out. Took the dune buggy to comp hill late this afternoon and it looked like a busy weekend at the dunes in Glamis CA w/ lots of Americans & all kinds of trick long travel buggies all over the place.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I agree absolutely the Military dominated that fight without any doubt. The fire power the military brought that day the cartel didnt stand any chance. Most of the cartel was dead in the first 30 - 45 minutes. The slower paced shooting that went on for the next 2.5 hours was just a mop up of the 1 or 2 cartel guys left behind by their fleeing cartel friends. Those guys hunkered down & were pinned down until they met their doom. The helos were just there to terrify the cartel into giving up or fleeing. Blasts by the helos near the cartel guys was a mental game changer that morning.

Get a life

Sub

I think there might be a misunderstanding about the visual damage you are seeing and what is actually going on when a 7.62x39mm our .556 NATO round hits a cinderblock wall. This video shows you how little protection that actually provides. Obviously chicken wire and stucco would hide the real damage inside, and keep the wall together for the most part. Any .50 cal rounds would be cutting through that wall like butter. It's highly unlikely that wall is concrete filled & fully rebarred. I think a little exterior patch job is just more whitewashing.

ADR

Yes, he does have an idea of what a war zone is like....and I do too. We were both in RP on the 18th, and it was definitely a war zone for 4-5 hours.
I am not negating his or your feelings, and I apologize if it felt as such, but my point remains the same.
Simply put, being in a war zone is not the same thing as being in a one day planned military action against specific targets.
The difference is that you guys are ok, and are able to leave the area and not return if you choose. Soldiers fighting in a war zone, and those living in a war zone, cannot just decide to up and leave, and their wars rage on day after day after day, with no end in sight.

Kenny

There's one big difference ADR. We have a all volunteer armed force these days and coming down to PP is not exactly like signing up "to be all that you can be".
I am not negating his or your feelings, and I apologize if it felt as such, but my point remains the same.
Simply put, being in a war zone is not the same thing as being in a one day planned military action against specific targets.
The difference is that you guys are ok, and are able to leave the area and not return if you choose. Soldiers fighting in a war zone, and those living in a war zone, cannot just decide to up and leave, and their wars rage on day after day after day, with no end in sight.
There's one big difference ADR... We have a all volunteer armed force these days and coming down to PP is not exactly like signing up "to be all that you can be".

Sub

I just KNEW all those refugee camps were completely bogus!

Sub

I think the story will die but the perception has been irretrievably solidified. Most people probably think like the Mayor of San Fernando stated:
In an interview, San Fernando Mayor Tomas Gloria Requena said it wasn’t true that his town was especially corrupt, or evil.

“San Fernando is Mexico,” he said. “It’s just like anywhere else.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mass-graves-in-mexico-reveal-new-levels-of-savagery/2011/04/23/AFPoasbE_story.html

jerry

I think this is yet another reason in justifying the force that was used so the odds were overwhelming to take out those cartel members that day. Had not enough force and not enough soldiers been used that morning, and Macho or other members slipped away, that too could prove catastrophic in the public relations campaign by Puerto Penasco to reassure American tourists that things were safe and under control. Had they gotten away, I am sure many Americans would have been questioning the effectiveness of law enforcement and the military's capabilities and in turn their own safety.