Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

How ignorant are some of you? I can't stand this America is much more dangerous argument anymore! Some of the people on this forum need a lesson on PROBABILITY. Using statistics allows us to calculate PROBABILITY. I'm sick of hearing the, "you still go to the movies right? You still send your kids to school right? " argument from the cheerleaders. Someone mentioned that they will continue to go to Mexico and then stated why it's so dangerous to live in the US because of movie theater shooting, school shooting and even CARJACKING. Ok, ya'll are starting to get carried away. Fear mongering is the new sales pitch to why RP is safe. Let me tell you something about PROBABILITY.

Let's take carjacking as an example. I have been riding in a car for 29 years. Let's assume for the sake of finding a reasonable PROBABILITY that I've ridden in a vehicle once a day for 29 years. 29(365)=10,585 Now let's see the daily percentage (daily chance) of getting carjacked. 1/10585=.0000944733

I also loved the comment about how drug users caused this and if people would just stop using drugs we wouldnt have things like this happen. That is got to be the most IGNORANT comment I have ever read/heard.
The probability of predicting the future occurrence of a certain event is usually calculated from the historical occurrence of that event. Since there is no history of Americans being killed by cartel violence in Penasco, it is impossible to predict the future probability of occurrence of such an event. Any volunteers to establish an initial data point?

mis2810

Haven't you ever been driving around with a long time resident of PP while they've pointed this way and that saying, "that's Cartel money right there?"
Now as far as our old friend frowning Jack is concerned, bad news follows him like flies follow a pig.
I guess I don't get out much! LOL

I think most of us here believe that's true.

Thanks for agreeing with me, Kenny. That's a first! I don't understand the reason behind your derogatory jab. Unfortunately, a lot of posts reflect various degrees of imaginary paranoia about Penasco, and don't represent our perspective.

It's my opinion that the military did a very stupid thing, and unnecessarily put a lot of innocent lives at risk. With all of those bullets flying around in a populated area, it's nothing short of a miracle that there were no innocent serious injuries, or innocent lives lost as a result of collateral damage.

Kenny

The probability of predicting the future occurrence of a certain event is usually calculated from the historical occurrence of that event. Since there is no history of Americans being killed by cartel violence in Penasco, it is impossible to predict the future probability of occurrence of such an event. Any volunteers to establish an initial data point?
If you flip a coin 99 times and it comes up heads 99 times, what are the odds it will come up heads for the 100th time?... Fifty, fifty.

nick

I’m sorry to be the one to break the bad news to all of you so called “CHEER LEADERS” but Rocky Point is a strategic part of the cartels operation. It is the farthest north that the ocean goes into Mexico and is around 70 miles from hundreds of miles of unprotected boarder. All you have to do is take a nice little day trip from Mexicali across to Sonoyta on the Mexico side and you can make it into a nice little family driving game called count the drug smugglers. I have been going to Rocky Point for 25 years and used to sleep in a tent on sandy beach before all the resorts where there. The cartel has always been there and always will be there. I was there on Tuesday and was the one who spotted the Rolls Royce in town and saw all the military coming into town and I could instantly tell something was going on so I left instead of staying. With all this in mind I will still go down to Rocky Point.

rplarry

Nothing like a good 'ol "high-end resort shootout" using a military helicopter to boost traffic to a particular blog site!

This thread alone has received over 30,000 views and over 5oo posts, in only 4 days! Curious how many new members have come aboard since Wednesday?

Hey Stuart, have you seen a ton of new members added this week?

Thanks!

Wow, All this bickering, all the He said-She said, I'm right and you're not and You're a #@*#.
Sounds like all of you need to head on down to Guau Guau's and settle this like men!
Either in the alley or the back rooms.
After a couple of hours of being entertained, you will hopefully feel the com-bye-ya!;)
And play nice together.
Happy Holidays to All.

azscot

Nothing like a good 'ol "high-end resort shootout" using a military helicopter to boost traffic to a particular blog site!

This thread alone has received over 30,000 views and over 5oo posts, in only 4 days! Curious how many new members have come aboard since Wednesday?

Hey Stuart, have you seen a ton of new members added this week?

Thanks!
I use this site a lot to get better quality news on RP, and more up to date, than I can get in Phoenix. Needless to say this is a great time to pay close attention to the details. I'm bringing my family down after Christmas to the Sun, and it's good to be informed. So, thanks for all the posts, those of us who just visit RP rather than live there full time get a lot out of the site.

Canuck

I’m sorry to be the one to break the bad news to all of you so called “CHEER LEADERS” but Rocky Point is a strategic part of the cartels operation. It is the farthest north that the ocean goes into Mexico and is around 70 miles from hundreds of miles of unprotected boarder. All you have to do is take a nice little day trip from Mexicali across to Sonoyta on the Mexico side and you can make it into a nice little family driving game called count the drug smugglers. I have been going to Rocky Point for 25 years and used to sleep in a tent on sandy beach before all the resorts where there. The cartel has always been there and always will be there. I was there on Tuesday and was the one who spotted the Rolls Royce in town and saw all the military coming into town and I could instantly tell something was going on so I left instead of staying. With all this in mind I will still go down to Rocky Point.
It appears the Mexican government agrees with you, this from Pulso de San Luis...

Mexican government statement:

"...two government Blackhawk helicopters fired on at least 10 vehicles as they tried to flee the complex with drug cartel operator Gonzalo Inzunza. The vehicles were hit by gunfire in the Wednesday battle and were left useless, causing the assailants to disperse..."

"Police found 14 sniper or assault rifles at the scene, which one federal official confirmed were of heavy calibre. Two federal officers were wounded in the gunfight" Also seized were 16 vehicles, including an armored SUV.

"...federal police said Inzunza, 42, "has set up his centre of operations in Puerto Penasco," to run drug-trafficking networks that stretched through at least seven other states, from the Caribbean coast state of Quintana Roo in Mexico's southeast to Baja California in the country's northwest..."

From Raul Benitez, a security expert at Mexico's National Autonomous University:

"It appears that this guy (Inzunza) was opening a very important border (trafficking) corridor," said Benitez. Puerto Penasco is an area with a lot of movement, a lot of traffic, and it's perfect for setting up a corridor to sell cocaine, heroin or marijuana and ship it into the United States, Benitez said, noting the government is shutting off the other big corridors in Texas and California.

The Sonora corridor was the one left for the Sinaloa cartel, and the federal government is trying to prevent Sinaloa from setting down roots there," Benitez said."

Okay, now it's ten vehicles shot at and disabled - where are all the bad guys that were driving these? Now I know why they were still patrolling the grounds of nearby complexes at 11:00 am.

The statement from the federal police also adds credence to the posters stating a large cartel presence in PP.

BTW, we are still having nightmares - if it goes on we may need counseling.

Pinky

We are finally getting closer to the truth with the number of cars involved now listed at 1o and the disclosure that at least 2 federal police or soldiers were wounded. Talk around town is that the real body count was over 20.

If your posts in this thread have been deleted, I don't want to hear about it. And I may not have gotten them all yet. They were NOT on topic and nothing but a bitch session between members. Get over yourselves, please.
Good for you Stuart, totally agree.