Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

Well your first "FACT" is wrong. Not "probably" wrong, definitely wrong. Trish Willoughby murdered in 1991. http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1991-10-30/news/murder-at-rocky-point/
Seen this before. Yes, the murder happened in PP, but very controversial as to the facts. Her husband was in love with a tranny from mexico and some accounts of the story say her husband did it. I wouldn't count this one on the list. I know there have been Americans that have been killed while in PP, but it was due to their own stupidity(drunk)

OK so since both of you have your heads firmly up your arses, here is what I was saying:

I PROVIDED YOU WITH ONE EASILY DOCUMENTED, FACTUALLY TRUE, MURDER OF AN AMERICAN PROVING YOU WRONG.

I LIVED THROUGH THAT WHOLE MURDER AND KNOW THE FACTS. I EVEN KNOW TRISH HUISH'S FAMILY AND WHAT THEY WENT THROUGH.

I DID NOT SAY THAT WAS THE ONLY ONE, IN FACT I ASKED YOU TO POINT ME TO WHERE I CAN FIND HOMICIDE AND VIOLENT CRIME STATISTICS FOR PUERTO PENASCO BECAUSE YOU CAN'T.

I'M NOT INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU "THINK" OR "PROBABLY KNOW" I'M INTERESTED IN FACTS THAT I CAN VETT.

MANY OF THE CRIMES THAT HAVE HAPPENED IN PUERTO PENASCO HAVE NOT MADE THE NEWS IN PHOENIX, TUCSON, OR THE U.S. IN GENERAL SO I WOULDN'T ASSUME THAT ANY AMERICAN HARMED IN ROCKY POINT IS GOING TO BE REPORTED. YOU GIVE OUR NEWS ORGANIZATIONS HERE WAY TOO MUCH CREDIT WHEN IT SUITS YOU.

MIGHT HAVE A TAD BIT OF TROUBLE IDENTIFYING AMERICANS BURNED UP BODIES IN CHARRED SUV'S HIT BY MINIGUN FIRE FROM GUNSHIPS DON'T YOU THINK?
why are you yelling? o_O

Sub

Seen this before. Yes, the murder happened in PP, but very controversial as to the facts. Her husband was in love with a tranny from mexico and some accounts of the story say her husband did it. I wouldn't count this one on the list. I know there have been Americans that have been killed while in PP, but it was due to their own stupidity(drunk)
You're just splitting hairs and all of you doing so look pretty foolish. Can you even provide me accidental death statistics for Americans in Rocky Point? What about the kid run over by the panga, was he being stupid?

Oh and by "seen this before" do you mean this murder or have you seen other American tourists/tranvestite murders? Please share.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I know there have been Americans that have been killed while in PP, but it was due to their own stupidity(drunk)
Sorry, Todd. Not always the case:
  • Spring Break, several years ago. College student doing back flips off the bar at Pithaya. Broke his neck and died (yes, alcohol related).
  • An old couple many years ago. We were staying at the Best Western and had just talked with them, really nice folks (not drunk). Got into their Suburban and headed up the street to La Curva for dinner. Crossing the main street right by Reggies, a local (he was drunk) in a pickup ran the stop sign and broadsided them at about 50 mph. The Suburban rolled five times, killing both of them instantly. The sound of that accident, crunching metal, and screeching still lingers in my mind, as well as the sight of them dead.
  • 5 years ago (maybe?) American guy swimming just off the beach on the Mirador (not drunk). Run over by a panga pulling a banana boat. The prop sliced open his head and neck. He bled out on the beach and died, there was nothing anybody could do to save him.
  • Few years back, odd morning thunderstorm rolled through as we were preparing to launch from the harbor. Local struck by lightning and killed (not drunk).
  • Also a few years ago, early spring. Mexican fishing boat with 8 gringos catches fire (not drunk). We see the smoke from the distance and take off towards them. All of them in the water. Saved them all, including the 400 lb.+ guy that we had a hell of a time getting on the boat. A few minor burns, some broken ribs on some of the guys. Could have been a lot worse.
  • 3 years ago, forum member heading down south of Ajo (not drunk). Pick up truck in opposite lane has sleepy driver, comes into their lane and head-ons them. The wife later dies after months of being in a coma.
  • Similar story involving a Suburban (doctor from Tucson and his wife, if I remember correctly), small pickup heading south (young driver with other young passengers) past the shrine head-ons them coming around the corner before the bridge. I believe 5 or 6 people died in that accident from both vehicles. You can still see the shrine of laid out white sticks on the ground in that location.
  • Last year, coming across Dead Cow Highway between Maricopa and Gila Bend. Truck in front of us (coming home from Mexico) veers off the road, tries to recover, rolls several times, ejecting the driver and his dog, catches fire and then explodes (not drunk). We were able to get the driver away from the truck before he literally became road pizza. Administered first aid until police/paramedics arrived and the Lifeflight helicopter came. He was lucky, he was in extremely bad shape, but the MCSO investigator told me the next day that he would live.
I guess what I'm getting at is that there are LOTS of ways to die, coming or going, or while you're there perfectly sober, just enjoying the beach and having fun. The incidents listed above are the ones that readily come to my mind over the years, some I witnessed, some I only have knowledge of. I know of no instance of any gringo being killed by the cartel. However, I DO know directly of a near miss (bullet hole through the door of the vehicle) as they happened to pass a shooting scene taking place just outside of Penasco a couple of years ago where the sicarios told the victims (I think one or two of the victims were local police) to get out and run and sprayed the area with AK-47s. The gringos just happened to catch a stray round as they drove by. Wrong place, wrong time.

Are you more likely or less likely to die/be killed in Mexico? Anybody's guess, no matter how some here want to argue probability. The incidents I mentioned above (with the exception of the AK-47 spray) could have happened most anywhere and the folks involved would still be just as dead (or lucky to be alive) as they are today. Has anything that I wrote above stopped me from going to Rocky Point? Nope. When it's my time, it's my time and I refuse to worry about or even speculate how it might happen.

Yes, I am sarcastic at times about BOTH sides of the 'Is Rocky Point safe?' argument. Why? I've seen both sides and the lengths that both the promoters and detractors will go to make their point -- well, I find it both insane and amusing. ;)

You're just splitting hairs and all of you doing so look pretty foolish. Can you even provide me accidental death statistics for Americans in Rocky Point? What about the kid run over by the panga, was he being stupid?

Oh and by "seen this before" do you mean this murder or have you seen other American tourists/tranvestite murders? Please share.
I meant that I had read this story before about the murder in '91.
As far as accidental deaths, I have no hard numbers, but I attended a funeral for two guys that had an accident on highway between PP and the boarder.
It was sad and unfortunate. They were not drunk. Speed may have been a factor. Vehicle rolled multiple times and both died.
I know there have been other american deaths due to carelessness (Speed and Alcohol)
I heard about a kid that was on a banana boat and fell off then when they circled back to get him, the prop cut him under his arm pit area almost died.That was an accident of course. Anytime you participate in any activity of that type (ATV, Banana Boat, Para-sail the Glider rides that buzz the beach) while in any country including the US, they are not liable.

Last edited:
Sorry, Todd. Not always the case:
  • Spring Break, several years ago. College student doing back flips off the bar at Pithaya. Broke his neck and died (yes, alcohol related).
  • An old couple many years ago. We were staying at the Best Western and had just talked with them, really nice folks (not drunk). Got into their Suburban and headed up the street to La Curva for dinner. Crossing the main street right by Reggies, a local (he was drunk) in a pickup ran the stop sign and broadsided them at about 50 mph. The Suburban rolled five times, killing both of them instantly. The sound of that accident, crunching metal, and screeching still lingers in my mind, as well as the sight of them dead.
  • 5 years ago (maybe?) American guy swimming just off the beach on the Mirador (not drunk). Run over by a panga pulling a banana boat. The prop sliced open his head and neck. He bled out on the beach and died, there was nothing anybody could do to save him.
  • Few years back, odd morning thunderstorm rolled through as we were preparing to launch from the harbor. Local struck by lightning and killed (not drunk).
  • Also a few years ago, early spring. Mexican fishing boat with 8 gringos catches fire (not drunk). We see the smoke from the distance and take off towards them. All of them in the water. Saved them all, including the 400 lb.+ guy that we had a hell of a time getting on the boat. A few minor burns, some broken ribs on some of the guys. Could have been a lot worse.
  • 3 years ago, forum member heading down south of Ajo (not drunk). Pick up truck in opposite lane has sleepy driver, comes into their lane and head-ons them. The wife later dies after months of being in a coma.
  • Similar story involving a Suburban (doctor from Tucson and his wife, if I remember correctly), small pickup heading south (young driver with other young passengers) past the shrine head-ons them coming around the corner before the bridge. I believe 5 or 6 people died in that accident from both vehicles. You can still see the shrine of laid out white sticks on the ground in that location.
  • Last year, coming across Dead Cow Highway between Maricopa and Gila Bend. Truck in front of us (coming home from Mexico) veers off the road, tries to recover, rolls several times, ejecting the driver and his dog, catches fire and then explodes (not drunk). We were able to get the driver away from the truck before he literally became road pizza. Administered first aid until police/paramedics arrived and the Lifeflight helicopter came. He was lucky, he was in extremely bad shape, but the MCSO investigator told me the next day that he would live.
I guess what I'm getting at is that there are LOTS of ways to die, coming or going, or while you're there perfectly sober, just enjoying the beach and having fun. The incidents listed above are the ones that readily come to my mind over the years, some I witnessed, some I only have knowledge of. I know of no instance of any gringo being killed by the cartel. However, I DO know directly of a near miss (bullet hole through the door of the vehicle) as they happened to pass a shooting scene taking place just outside of Penasco a couple of years ago where the sicarios told the victims (I think one or two of the victims were local police) to get out and run and sprayed the area with AK-47s. The gringos just happened to catch a stray round as they drove by. Wrong place, wrong time.

Are you more likely or less likely to die/be killed in Mexico? Anybody's guess, no matter how some here want to argue probability. The incidents I mentioned above (with the exception of the AK-47 spray) could have happened most anywhere and the folks involved would still be just as dead (or lucky to be alive) as they are today. Has anything that I wrote above stopped me from going to Rocky Point? Nope. When it's my time, it's my time and I refuse to worry about or even speculate how it might happen.

Yes, I am sarcastic at times about BOTH sides of the 'Is Rocky Point safe?' argument. Why? I've seen both sides and the lengths that both the promoters and detractors will go to make their point -- well, I find it both insane and amusing. ;)
I didnt mean they were all drunk----------My bad

azscot

Drove down with the wife and 2 kids, grandma, brother and his new girlfriend yesterday (her first time to RP.) All of us aware of what happened re the helicopter gun battle, having read all 700+ posts. Except the kids I mean - I want them reading Harry Potter not Sub's hysterical screaming.

The drive was perfectly normal, although the line at Sonoyta to get out was longer than I would have expected. Arrived at the Sun on schedule, very quiet. Bella Sirena main gate still closed on the right side as you look at it from outside. I did see some bullet holes in the road outside the Bella Sirena. All the other evidence has been cleaned up (looks like one of the busted signs from the avalanche at the roundabout has also been fixed.)

Had dinner at Casa del Capitan where I can report that the Carne Verde was as delicious as always. Restaurant was about 1/4 full, typical of the last few times we've been there on week nights. Brother bought new GF a rose, and got one for wife, daughter, and grandma too. He's really working hard on this one.

John Deere beach zamboni out this morning, workers still making progress on the railing replacement. Heading to JJ's for lunch. All is apparently normal.

Maybe we have our heads up our asses but I am really glad that we weren't here for the gunbattle. I feel very sorry for those (esp Canuck) who's lives have been changed by watching that live rather than hearing about it 3rd and 4th hand on this fine forum. We'll keep coming (and being aware and as safe as possible). And hope that doesn't ever happen again.

If anyone wants to set me straight in person over a beer at JJs I'll buy.

jerry

Running gun battle<> I don't think they have a prayer.
Just last month boosters were saying that all the trouble was coming from Caborca.In fact the cartel war is way more complicated.Sonoyta is a hot spot.The cruise ship passengers will just have to deal with the slim chance of being in a running gun battle. it would be a great photo op!

Just last month boosters were saying that all the trouble was coming from Caborca.In fact the cartel war is way more complicated.Sonoyta is a hot spot.The cruise ship passengers will just have to deal with the slim chance of being in a running gun battle. it would be a great photo op!
FUNNY!!!!!!!!! :p

playaperro

El Pirata
Jerry, did you read about the guy that planned the massacre, the gilo gig in saric, what happened to him.

I live in Sandy Beach full time. The military did what they needed to do to keep RP safe. It would be scary if the military did NOT do anything.

FACTS are the FACTS How many American tourists have been murdered in RP or died by gun fire in RP in the last 30 years?? Probably ZERO...I for one like that fact and like those odds..I and thousands of American tourists have been driving around RP some daily, some a few days every month for years without any problems.
You summed up my feelings on the whole situation quite well and I have to echo your comments. I believe to do nothing and leave Macho in Sandy Beach, could have seen the entire area get bad over time. Plus, if it was well known that authorities were "letting" Macho live where the American tourists live, that would have had a devastating impact on what perceptions Americans had about the entire security situation there if a high ranking cartel member was living amongst them. It wasn't as if he was living in another section of town that is less lived-in by Americans, no he was in fact their neighbor in Sandy Beach making it a completely different story. From what I have gathered, Macho had not been living in Bella Serena that long. Is that correct?

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
The cruise ship passengers will just have to deal with the slim chance of being in a running gun battle. it would be a great photo op!
I am sure this would bring you the greatest pleasure in the world. How humanitarian of you to say one has a slim chance of being in a running gun battle and then being in a picture. Interesting to see how you value human life with a crude comment like that. says a lot about a person.

I am sure this would bring you the greatest pleasure in the world. How humanitarian of you to say one has a slim chance of being in a running gun battle and then being in a picture. Interesting to see how you value human life with a crude comment like that. says a lot about a person.
Clearly he was making a joke.....dontyathink?

Well your first "FACT" is wrong. Not "probably" wrong, definitely wrong. Trish Willoughby murdered in 1991. http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1991-10-30/news/murder-at-rocky-point/
Oh that's not drug/cartel/gang related you say? So you can point me to the crime statistics compiled and posted for Rocky Point? How about rapes and robberies? Assaults? DUIs? Oh, I guess the "FACTS" aren't available.
SO what you can really say is that "I and thousands of American tourists have been driving BLISSFULLY UNAWARE around RP some daily, some a few days every month for years without any problems." It's lucky I guess that there were two local fishermen driving that black Bronco and not American tourists...

One major difference in the U.S. vs. Mexico, is that when there is a carjacking, shooting at a Safeway, shootout at a theater, or any such violence I CAN SHOOT BACK.

Come back when you have some facts.
I believe comparing the violence in Mexico/Rocky Point to that of the violence in the USA/Arizona can be very difficult and can be like comparing apples to oranges with correlation problems. There might be more crime in Mexico, but could a lot of that be more petty crimes like vehicle theft and property crimes? I think to properly assess the security situation in Puerto Penasco, we have to take a wait and see approach on what (if any) response we may see from Macho's death and any blowback from it by the cartel. Macho's death does not mean things are out of control in Puerto Penasco or the Cartel will retaliate so we should not jump to conclusions about something that isn't there. I've lived overseas for a good chunk of my life, been to 24 countries all over the world- I can tell anyone that if they do not assess their safety and security situation when they travel to a foreign country, they are doing themselves a big dis-service. I have always done so because as an American traveling overseas, you are more vulnerable especially if you don't speak their language. When I was in the Palestinian Controlled Territories, I pretended I was a Canadian versus an American because I did not want to fall into the hands of the PLO or Hamas or some other terrorist organization, and when asked I was from Canada. Being aware of one's surroundings is key to survival and keeping yourself safe at all times. Prior to all this when I traveled down to Rocky Point, I always took security precautions and had different safety plans should something happen. But I do the same thing too back here in the USA when I go to places as one should never let their guard down.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
You summed up my feelings on the whole situation quite well and I have to echo your comments. I believe to do nothing and leave Macho in Sandy Beach, could have seen the entire area get bad over time. Plus, if it was well known that authorities were "letting" Macho live where the American tourists live, that would have had a devastating impact on what perceptions Americans had about the entire security situation there if a high ranking cartel member was living amongst them. It wasn't as if he was living in another section of town that is less lived-in by Americans, no he was in fact their neighbor in Sandy Beach making it a completely different story. From what I have gathered, Macho had not been living in Bella Serena that long. Is that correct?
No, you're wrong on both accounts. You're missing the point. Not only did he live there for more than a year, everybody knew and nobody cared. The military didn't do this because it was good for the town or American tourists. The only reason why we're talking about this is because MP got fired. If he wouldn't have been f****** up for the corporation he worked for, he'd still be living there and we wouldn't be having this conversation. The #1 said, "you're fired!" and then called the military to deliver MP's unemployment benefits.

Last edited by a moderator: