La Curva

MIRAMAR

We ate at the Blue Marlin last week, and my husband got the Garlic Fish- wow it was outstanding- a lot of garlic flavor served with rice and steamed vegies. We've eaten at Friendly Dolphin and usually the food is so so, although the foil wrapped fish is good, but it takes a loooong time to get. Also seems loud, so we stick with Blue Marlin- cozy, friendly service, great food.

wendell

Turn east off Benito Jaurez on the street that goes to Ace hardware, which I belive is Simon Morua. Go about 3-4 blocks past Ace Hardware and you will come to an intersection that has a florist shop on the southeast corner. Turn right--sorry i do not know the name of the street. Ramon's is on your left about 40-50yds down this strteet. You can't miss it--it is a house converted to a restaurant.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I know many of you have been going to La Curva for many, many years, yesterday we gave it another chance, my wife and I had the 2 people combo, nice large platter for three easily, and my daughter had the surf and turf combo, steak, fish and shrimp, I was extremelly surprise to find out that the shrimp and fish were overly cooked, well I must say I have eaten at Mexican restaurants in Tucson that are more real Mexican than La Curva, it is your basic americanised mexican food IMHO!!! the service was really good!!!!
On the other hand Mary's or Marias next to Sr. Amigo in the fish market was just excellent, we did had the combo platter there too and it was perfectly cooked and the breaded fish and shrimp was just excellent just enough breading!!!MMMMMMMM and the garlic fish and shrimp were to die for!!!!

dwig222

La Curva is very good. We love the green chili burritos and I personally love the shrimp omlette in the morning. But you cannot be Lolita's for breakfast. We were just there for four days and ate breakfast at Lolita's every single day. Very, very good and very cheap.

Rosie's is also pretty good for breakfast, but a little more spicy.

La Curva is our choice for dinner.

E

El Feo

Try Mary's Coctaleria on the Malecon, on the right, about 2 places in from Con Flavio, just next to the little statue. The fish soup in foil is excellent and the large seafood platter is enough to serve 4 easily. 3 or 4 kinds of shrimp, salad and fish. If there are two of you you have enough for tomorrow's lunch as well. Buy fresh shrimp at Mary from Cisco too !!

The Blue Marlin, on one of the short exit streets out of the the Malecon is pretty good. No ocean view but you can dine in or out.

For atmosphere I love La Palapa in the Malecon, but the food has been horrid. Flies in the wine, etc. Dont bother with The POint either. An incredible location but marginal food.

Playa Bonita has a very nice restaurant, right on the beach, with a buffett Sat Evening about 6. and I think a breakfast buffett on Sunday. They have an Oldies DJ that is popular, although it was a little loud for me, but people were dancing and they had a good crowd on Friday about 1 week ago. I had the Octopus off the menu and it was excellent.

La Cuerva is popular, and the food is good, the people are nice, but you could be eating in a barn in Tucson for all the atmosphere the place has.

On a slightly different note, if you are up for some late evening entertainment on Wednesdays, go to the Crow's Nest, upstairs from the Lighthouse restaurant up on the top of whale hill. Starting at 10 or so, a group of mixed jazz musicians gather for a jam session. They are good !!

Looks like Sub's OP has become a collection of reviews on the restaurants....in that light.....

I agree on the comments about La Curva.....more americanized than mexican food....but it's always been excellent. Don't know if they still do...but used to get the American tour bus with the retirees stop in....hilarious for the what they set up for them.....conga line, etc.

Rosy's....been going there since it opened....since they expanded, the last few times I've found the food to have gotten pricier, and the service not as friendly.

Mary's on the Malecon.....also has gone through an expansion.....excellent combo platter....the platter for 2 can feed 4. Had the seafood soup/stew served in tinfoil the last time there....EXCELLENT!!!! Comparable to what some restaurants call 7 sea soup, just has 4 in it!!! They should have the upstairs open by now...the last visit (spring break), they were planning to open the following week. They don't carry my choice of beers (XXX or Sol).... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Black Dog....sorry but....UGH!!! Hangout for the retirees! Greasy food....ran out of corned beef on St. Patty's day at about 3 in the afternoon.

Lighthouse....have only eaten there a few times, but the food has always been good. Limited menu....the jazz group used to perform downstairs (the owner is a jazz musician....haven't been upstairs to see if he still plays).

BooBar.....they've gone thru some changes in ownership...back to the Randy, the previous owner...some changes in personnel also (waiter/bartenders) but Jose is still there....limited menu, but if you ask, they'll prepare meals that are not on the menu. The shrimp cocktail (large/Mexican style) is huge and great.

Il Sombrero (on Calle 13)....where JR's used to be (turnoff to Playa Bonita)....don't know about the food...have to check it out the next time down....but owned by the same person who owns 3 of the "titty bars" on/off Calle 13

Capones.....hangout for many of the local retirees.....the food is up and down....sometimes the pizza is great, sometimes it is just about as good as Pizzahut!!! The habenera wings.....are HOT!!!! If you can eat more than 5-6, you're a better man then I am!! :lol: :lol: Does anyone know if the obnoxious/SOB of a bartender is gone????

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
La Curva Rocks! I've eaten there at least 10 times, yet I always manage to get lost on the way there... :geek:

The food is always first rate, and the service is fantastic.

Kenny

I'll have to agree with Ink and Joe on this one. I'd heard about the place for years on this, and our other forum, rave revues. I was really looking forward to eating there, but as stated "more americanized than mexican food"... I was extremely disappointed.

Kenny

Looks like Sub's OP has become a collection of reviews on the restaurants....in that light.....

I agree on the comments about La Curva.....more americanized than mexican food....but it's always been excellent. Don't know if they still do...but used to get the American tour bus with the retirees stop in....hilarious for the what they set up for them.....conga line, etc.
Yes they still do... that is where we take our bus tours for dinner after their sunset cruise... great place, great food, great family run restaurant...

Kenny

Well I guess this one is easy. If you don't want Americanized (sorry Ink.LOL) Mexican food, don't eat "where we take our bus tours for dinner".
Don't get me wrong, the food was OK, and the place was nice.

Talking about not being able to find your way back to La Curva moore_rb... Many times when I've been down by myself I've driven around looking for a new place to eat.:chef: Not only couldn't I find my way back,:roll: I didn't even know where I was to begin with.:confused:

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Sometimes one is in the mood for different tastes, nice that we have so much to choose from now. And sampling the Margaritas at each place is a must. Lets start a poll on the best Margaritas! One of my favorites is at the Desert Oasis, when made with the blue agave!
:bunny: And yes, that is what I look like when I drink them!:pinkie: And I see a lot of these!

Kenny

Who's going to argue with that!!

Does this mean our senior member is having senior moments?:grin::eek:
Go ahead pick on me Chari, it's OK because there's a chance I won't remember it tomorrow anyway.

Now as far as this little gem from Sheryl is concerned.
:bunny: And yes, that is what I look like when I drink them!:pinkie: And I see a lot of these!
Well who's going to argue with that!

Last edited:

dmcauley

If you want American, they have it. Try ordering in spanish. Our meals are always authentic. Very few dissapointments in 25+ years