Man Die's Clam Diving

playaperro

El Pirata
WHAT IS KILLING THE DIVER IS uncontrolled ascent to the surface: Daniel Guemes Professional Diver
August 8, 2011

By: Ivan Bravo
PTO. Penasco, SON.

Lack of time for decompression diving in commercial fishing is the main cause of deaths in the municipality of Puerto Peñasco, because the times are not respected in the ascent to the surface of the sea, said Daniel Güemes.
The professional diving instructor recognized that the uncontrolled ascent is what is "killing" the divers in Puerto Penasco, because in most cases have problems down the water and climb fast.
This time he said, that they burst a lung, and it will bubble into the bloodstream and that is what the "kill", "Divers do not recognize right now that is a relief and a stroke, and mistake the symptoms, all want to be treated as decompression," he said in an interview the professional diver.
He said, "do not respect the time of decompression depths and not even know that there are some tables to keep track of decompression, and bring evil decompression that all divers suffer, so we see that crooked walk bubbles begin to gather, but what is killing right now is the rise unchecked, have a problem under the water and climb quickly, "he said.
He warned that the vast majority of divers are not certified and do not have adequate knowledge to carry out this activity, since all you have are ideas that are passed from one diver to another in spoken form, without theoretical or something to back them up. Therefore staff harbormaster has initiated courses on the diving with professional and expert on the subject, said Daniel Guemes, but unfortunately some fishermen and divers have taken a negative, "some have taken it well, but others say you are going to teach me if I have done this for years! but they are two groups, and go ask a lot and do not want to have the knowledge we give them, "he said. The harbormaster has a free four courses to put a halt to fishing mortality incident maritime trade of some products in Puerto Penasco, which taught by staff with professional and expert on the subject.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Sadder even yet; the harbormaster offering instruction on safety and dive times to these guys and they cop a macho "You can't tell me, I've been doing this for years!" attitude? Good grief, more are bound to die.

Kenny

because in most cases have problems down the water and climb fast.
The above quote might have well of said that old inadequate equipment is killing most of these divers when they have to make a run to the surface after their air supply is cut off because of a malfunction of some type. No amount of training is going stop that!

an easy way to look at it is if you took two bottles of beer and shook them both up... you will see small bubbles, these bubbles represent the nitrogen in your blood system that seperates from your blood while you are down under pressure... if you open one bottle immeadiately after shaking it you know what will happen... (it explodes) this is the equivellent of what happens to divers when they surface too rapidily without a recompression stop....

if you let the other bottle sit undisturbed for awhile the gas bubbles will disapate and when you open the beer it will not foam over... this is the equivellence of recompression stop on your way up from the bottom...

if they could leave a dive tank with a regulator hanging from the boat at around 15 to 20 feet this would work as a safety stop for the diver... when they are surfacing they would automatically stop open the tank valve and use the regulator and recompress for 15 to 20 minutes before surfacing all the way... simple trick that would save lives...

Great Explanation Mark
Yeah... I figured the easiest way to teach someone something is to use "BEER" to apply to the principal that I am trying to explain...

I know that I will imeadiately have everyones attention because "BEER" is something that you all understand...

az-dan

The above quote might have well of said that old inadequate equipment is killing most of these divers when they have to make a run to the surface after their air supply is cut off because of a malfunction of some type. No amount of training is going stop that!
That’s not necessarily true. I have learned and trained for emergency assents from depth. You can ascend from recreational depths 130’ or less with little or no air and reduce the chances (nothing is 100%) of Pulmonary Over-inflation Syndrome. Lung expansion injuries can be the most dramatic and life-threatening emergencies in scuba diving.
The other issue is Decompression Illness. Through training you learn that if you go beyond the recreational time at depth limits by using charts, dive computer, etc. there is a mandatory decompression stop. Not only do you learn what those times are and at what depth you learn what equipment is needed for backup. I will give an example.
A diver diving to 60’ and staying for 4 hours would have a mandatory Deco stop at 20’ for 2 min. and 10’ for 79 min. This allows time for the nitrogen build up in your system to equalize and reduce the chances of DI. So if I were to dive this plan I would have enough air to stay at depth for the 4 hours and enough air to do the deco stops and I would also have a redundant air source (back-up) so that if for whatever reason the primary air source failed I would have enough redundant air to do my mandatory deco stop. Normally it would be in a bottle hanging on the anchor line at depth or staged at the bottom of the line in case the line separated. The cost of a used tank and regulators +/- $400. If you violate the deco stop you have a greater chance of getting DI and becoming disabled or dyeing.
Of course time is money and hanging on a line you don’t earn anything and backup equipment is expensive. If they learn the rules, what to do and know the risk then maybe lives will not be lost through the lack of knowledge.

Dan...I agree....training will definitely help...but they have to be willing to use what they've learned....non of this "macho" stuff...or "I've been diving for years" attitude.

It's MANY years since I took my scuba class....but one of the things drilled into you was ascending at a controlled rate if you ran out of air or had an equipment malfunction.....that was one of the "test" items for certification back then.....from 60 ft. where I took my class. And it was drilled so that you didn't get overcome by panic...which is probably the cause of most accidental injuries in many things we may do.

Kenny

My main point was that we have a lot of emergency's because of crappy equipment. Way more than you would find if there was some oversight on it. Yes if you have the proper training, don't panic and do everything just right you just might be OK. My point was, and is, that no amount of training is going to put better equipment on the boat, and deaths no matter how much training will continue to happen because of it.

az-dan

We learn as divers (by teaching us) that I am responsible for me. Once you are trained there is no requirement to maintain your gear. You learn what happens if you don’t, you can die. You control your depth, time and repetitive dives, it’s on you. You could look at it like Drivers Ed class; it teaches you what can happen if you are irresponsible. Failures happen even on new equipment so having new equipment is not a 100% guarantee there will be no problems. Training teaches you not to panic, to maintain control and do what you need to do survive and you practice it. Some will get it and some will not because of, money, time, excitement or machismo, whatever. The color of the skin makes no difference there are those types of people in all races. Just like in scuba diving there are some that get it and some that don’t. I choose not to dive with people that go beyond their training because I don’t want to have to risk my life saving someone who is irresponsible. Education and training will help most and will save lives.

az-dan

I agree. But that is the way it is everywhere. I remember many things we did 20 - 30 years ago that today seem pretty stupid. My kids could not believe that when they were born they rode home in the front seat in my wife’s arms. I like a lot of people use to pour many gallons of engine oil on weeds in the alley, how about seat belts, I remember my dad when seat belts first came on cars saying he was not wearing one, but in his later years he wore one every time because he learned; I could go on and on. Why did we do those things because it seems pretty stupid today? It was because we didn't know any better. We thought there was no problem either but we learned what would happen if we continued.

Money talks and when people need to feed there families they will take all kinds risks. I watched workers on the tenth story of the Sonoran Sky wing walking on a 4x4 to set up floor shoring, with no fall protection.

Rick
Cholla Bay

Kenny

All I can say is thank God for OSHA in the states. If it wasn't for them there is no doubt that I would either be dead, or maimed. Most of the rules they enforce had to be put in place not because of ignorance, but because it was cheaper to say "no problem" for the company's. It was all about the $$, and the hell with the workers until the Government stepped in. I really don't want to hear about what laws that they enforce that are stupid, I know more than a few myself. Overall the guidelines they set are needed because of the greed factor, not ignorance or stupidity.

This is a edit.... OK, ignorance and stupidity too..LOL

Last edited:
Yesterday at 6pm, 24 year old Humberto Cordova Delgadillo drowned while diving for clams in Cholla Bay. Originally from Apatzingan, Michoacan, Humberto was a resident of Puerto Penasco. Bomberos responded to the emergency call, but they were unable to resucitate the victim.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Yesterday at 6pm, 24 year old Humberto Cordova Delgadillo drowned while diving for clams in Cholla Bay. Originally from Apatzingan, Michoacan, Humberto was a resident of Puerto Penasco. Bomberos responded to the emergency call, but they were unable to resucitate the victim.
so sad