The Homeport...A reason a week it is a bad idea

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I enjoy it, my wife enjoys it, the local office of Visitors and conventions supports it, the State of Sonora Tourism Dept. supports it. Most of all, our customers enjoy it, to the point of making us a destination within a destination.

I get to make a living showing foreign people cool things about a cool town on the edge of the sea of Cortes.....and have the support of the locals as well.......I call that a slam dunk! I am so thankful to the local folks that accepted us and make this life possible for my wife and I.

We work hard for our love, Puerto Peñasco, and are dismayed at the negatives ( not so much after we find out who the bashers are) , but hey that is all fair right?

We love the place where we live! Totally!

Heart beating Sonoran blood, life comes in the Sonoran sun, life is good, you gotta get it.

Mexico, live it to believe it!

JWT

User is currently banned
What happened to a girl exposed to too much feces contamination on a Mexican beach.Do not kid yourself the cruise ship poop will be entering our ecosystem.

Mexico water warning from Feb. 2, 2015

Karon Pardue
This photo of me was from last night, I could finally open my right eye. (The swelling has gone down.)

I did not write this for anyone to feel sorry for me, so “PLEASE DON’T.” The main reason I’m writing is I want people to know that it’s really important to be aware of the “RUNOFFS” contaminated water/ocean in your local area or areas you're visiting. And what the effects of the dirty infested water can do to you. When those signs are up, read them and you should listen to what they are telling you to do or not to do. In some places their might not even be signs up, and they don't do testing or post thats theirs high level of bacterias in the water. So beware of you're surrounding and places you visit.

I returned home over two weeks ago from traveling to Mexico. I have been in the hospital several times and have had several treatments since I have been back. And will continue to get treatments for the next 30 days. It started out with Salmonella. Constant throwing up and diarrhea. My Asthma is really bad and I’m having problems breathing. Constant body aches and sweats. Up and down fevers.Then it turned into an ear infection in both ears and throat. Once it went into my ears, It turned into MRSA and now I have a heart infection. MRSA attacks the body and shuts down your heart and system. 9 out of 10 people die from this.

So many people in Sayulita are sick, they think they have the flu (vomiting and diarrhea), or soar throats, but thats not the case.
Several of us have had test since we have been back and while we were in Sayulita, the doctors told us that we were sick from the water. When i was at a random pharmacy hooked up in the back room to an IV, i counted 6 random people that
Came into the pharmacy for antibiotics, medications for nausea, anything they could drink for hydration. They also had the same symptoms. Several of the surfers we traveled with were pretty sick, Ricky, Jerry, Tony.S, Karina, Vannina, Alexandra, Erin A, Jake, Lindsey, Nate, I could go on with a list of more who were sick, for some it was a mild case but for a few of us, we were and some still are pretty sick . While i was in Sayulita i had to go to a random medical center in the ambulance with Ricky. He was pretty bad and was throwing up and had diarrhea straight for three days. After Ricky had an IV and was pumped up with several antibiotics and other medications we took a taxi back to town, thinking he would be ok. Little did i know that i would find myself at 3am walking the streets of Sayulita and trying to find someone to help us find a doctor for Ricky. The pharmacy were closed. Later that night i was in one of the pharmacies and the doctor gave me his card. I called him at 3am to please help Ricky, he came and picked us up and took Ricky and i to the place the ambulance dropped us off that morning. The doctor started treatment on Ricky and by morning ,10am he was not getting any better. I had to call Ricky's mom to get him on the next flight out. It was sad, several of us were sick and none of the antibiotics we were given were working or medications.

The water “runoff” in the river in Sayulita, runs straight into the ocean front beach in Sayulita is contaminated. It has Salmonella, MRSA and other bacterias in water.

This is my second year of being deadly ill after coming home from visiting Sayulita. Last year, the smaething-several of us were really sick with the same symptoms.The only water i had any contact with was when i washed my hands took a shower, or walked on the beach and put my feet in the water, or sat on the side of the pool at our hotel and put my feet in. The runoff from the river goes into the ocean and water pipes in the town. This now effects the homes, washing hands, washing dishes, cooking, showering, drinking, brushing your teeth, pool, it’s also now in the water system in restaurants and is being in contact with washing dishes, people washing their hands, food being cooked with the water or rinsed off. One person washes his hands them touches their face or shakes another persons hand. Its now being spread like a wild fire.

I have several local friends that live in Sayulita and they have told me that so many local people in town have been sick with the same symptoms. That there is supposed to be treatment for the river/water, but nothing is being done.

People need to know to stay out of the water in Sayulita until it can be treated. They need to know that it's not the flu and they only way to get rid of it, is by treatment, antibiotics. The symptoms will go away and keep resurfacing if you don't get the proper treatments for it.

Many antibiotics don't work for MRS

Each time I'm admitted to the hospital with MRSA, the recovery time is longer and the fight is harder. Most doctors I have seen have no idea how to treat it and they have to call Centers for Disease Control for help. A is resistant to most common antibiotics. The only treatment that has been working for me is IV treatment of vancomycin which I get twice a day for 9 hours each treatment. I’m resistant and allergic to the vancomycin so I have other complications while getting the treatments. So far, it is the only antibiotic that can help fight the infection.

What is salmonellosis?
Salmonellosis is an infection caused by the bacteria calledSalmonella, which has been known to cause illness for more than 100 years. There are many different kinds of Salmonella bacteria, and they are spread through human or animal feces.

Where and how does Salmonella get into drinking water?
Salmonella is found in every region of the United States and throughout the world. Millions of germs can be released in a bowel movement of an infected human or animal. Salmonella may be found in water sources that have been contaminated with the feces of infected humans or animals. Waste can enter the water through different ways, including sewage overflows, sewage systems that are not working properly, polluted storm water runoff, and agricultural runoff. Wells may be more vulnerable to such contamination after flooding, particularly if the wells are shallow, have been dug or bored, or have been submerged by floodwater for long periods of time.

My personal experience with contaminated ocean/water, MSRA and Salmonella is one of the reasons I care so much about being involved with Project Save Our Surf, keeping our oceans and beaches clean and educating people so that they don’t have to go through what I’ve been through. I visit Sayulita at least once a year and have several friends that live their, i have done several projects for some of the children in Sayulita and schools. I feel that these children, friends, surfers and families in Sayulita deserve to all have CLEAN WATER. Something needs to be done in Sayulita.

I lost one of my best friends to contaminated water at Rincon, John Bradbury

I know first hand what contaminated water "runoff" can do.

PPRES

Just in the odd chance the truth matters:

The pollution in Sayulita and elsewhere on the Nayarit beach is caused by industrial runoff water starting in the Santiago river flowing from Lake Chapala. The various subsequent rivers pass through the industrial heartland of central Mexico, gathering the contaminants. The cruise ships in Lake Chapala and on the rivers flowing toward the Pacific are not the cause. Plus, all the rivers running into our Penasco beaches and bays pass through much less industry.

Penasco gets it's entire water supply from a large number of wells 20 miles or more inland, which means the wells are 20 miles or more from the beach. You likely can still drive out to watch them doing what wells do. I'm told they are hundreds of feet deep. The water flowing to homes is potable, which means it can be consumed without treatment, filtration, etc. I cn garintiie dlinkin it evrry dae wont hurth anyon ;,

I envy you Mexicoruss. I would love to be able to live and work down there and spend my time showing and sharing the cool things I have done and the beautiful sites I have seen with others. Good for you and your wife.

As far as the negatives that get posted, I don't think anyone has posted anything that I have read with the intention of dis-wading anyone from living in or visiting Puerto Peñasco.

I think for all intensive purposes pertaining to this threads subject matter it is quite the opposite.

My take on this thread is to point out the very plausible downside of this project with the end result being the destruction or at the very least degradation of the ecosystem of which we all love so much.

I can't imagine that the fishing will get better, that there will be less trash than there is now and that the trails that are open for exploration with ORV's will be available once everyone "lucky"(rich) enough has snatched up their own piece of the pie.

If successful this could make PP a prosperous oasis or not worth going to at all.

For a person of very modest means Puerto Peñasco is a piece of heaven for my family and I. I think it will be tragic to see it turn into anything less than what it is for the sake of a handful of realtors bottom line.

jerry

Landmark...good find..I wonder why a large marina for the sports fishermen/sailors is not front and center in this nightmare...at least we would get something out of it.
Jerry, don't know what you have planned for week 2, but this is a very interesting and well written research project from our friends at The Udall Center for Studies in Public Policy at the University of Arizona. Published in January of 2012, it's an in-depth study of how excessive growth will affect the ecosystem of the area and infrastructure of the city of Puerto Penasco. Great analysis of PP's urban water system, the 11 deep wells, and what the future holds. Also discusses the introduction of visits by yachts, sailboats, and cruise lines and how they will affect the ecosystem of the entire region.
http://udallcenter.arizona.edu/sarp/pdf/Ch3_PuertoPenasco.pdf

Well
Landmark...good find..I wonder why a large marina for the sports fishermen/sailors is not front and center in this nightmare...at least we would get something out of it.
If you notice none of the realators ever mention the things to do down here. It's always about how safe the water is to drink if you buy a place to live down there is. Never once has she mentioned water activities offshore .JWT has never mentioned a single activity that she has engadged in.
Locked inside at night hiding till the sun comes up and only venturing out when she has a place to show.

Kenny

I think this thread is much ado about nothing. You see, there actually has to be a ship at the port for it to actually pollute our beautiful water. I have a better chance of having Kenny let me pick off one of his backyard deer than a ship actually coming to RP.
Not gonna happen.

In the event that some Mexican government dude bribes a cruise official with something along the line of a free massage at the Happy Face, the cruise guy may bring a ship here to christen the joint. I think once that happens he will come to the quick conclusion of "What the hell was I thinking?" Nothing to offer except some guy out front named Russ with a van that holds 10 passengers offering a tour of this sand trap along with the same vendors hawking the same crap that we saw in the last three Mexican ports.
You my friend like fine Whiskey, is getting better with age.

JWT

User is currently banned
PPRES

If you are a tourist diver you might want to join us in going down at the next minimal tide change. We have a good group of divers, mostly couples plus a few singles. Everyone reports a good time when a group of us all go down at the same time. We find group activities are the most fun.

Other fun activities abound here. When you move here we will have a chance to show some of you some new things.

As for this forum, some posters are prolific and mutual likkers and lickees, but I don't seem to get many likkers. I'd like to improve this ratio....any suggestions?

Kenny

Well

If you notice none of the realators ever mention the things to do down here. It's always about how safe the water is to drink if you buy a place to live down there is. Never once has she mentioned water activities offshore .JWT has never mentioned a single activity that she has engadged in.
Locked inside at night hiding till the sun comes up and only venturing out when she has a place to show.
Whale's, she mentioned the Whale's.

Landshark

Two “mega-projects” have been planned that, if constructed, will affect the ecosystem of the entire region. In both cases, little progress has been made on the projects in recent years and therefore their future status is unclear. The first is a proposal to build a nautical route, or series of connected ports, throughout the Gulf to facilitate visits by yachts, sailboats, and cruise lines. The project, known as Escalera Náutica del Mar de Cortés y Riviera Maya (referred to in English as “The Sea of Cortez Project”), is being promoted by the federal government and is overseen by the National Fund for Tourism Development (Fondo Nacional de Fomento al Turismo or FONATUR), which was responsible for large-scale tourist developments in Cancún, Ixtapa and Huatulco (Escalera Náutica 2001). Planning for the Escalera Náutica project in the Gulf of California began in 2001 under former President Vicente Fox, who saw tourism as “the passport to modernity” (Escalera Náutica 2001). The plan gained the support of state authorities in Sinaloa, Sonora, Baja California Sur, and Baja California and became a focal point for tourist development in the nation. The plan promotes the construction of 29 new marinas within a one-day travel distance to facilitate the access of more than 60,000 cruise ships and boats throughout the Gulf.!!!
The second project.....Liberty Cove!!!!!!

jerry

PPRES

If you are a tourist diver you might want to join us in going down at the next minimal tide change. We have a good group of divers, mostly couples plus a few singles. Everyone reports a good time when a group of us all go down at the same time. We find group activities are the most fun.

Other fun activities abound here. When you move here we will have a chance to show some of you some new things.

As for this forum, some posters are prolific and mutual likkers and lickees, but I don't seem to get many likkers. I'd like to improve this ratio....any suggestions?
Jwt as a PPRES I wondered if you have run into James Thornton? if so is he the same Jt in this story.
Quote from Stopfraud, see link.

Hurd admitted that in 2006 he became involved with Deborah and Todd Joyce of Hurricane in the "flipping" of homes in the Stonegate subdivision in that town. Deborah Joyce obtained inflated appraisals from two local appraisers, James Thornton and Mark Greenlee, and subsequently sent the appraisals on to another co-conspirator Raymond Morris in Salt Lake City.

http://www.stopfraud.gov/iso/opa/stopfraud/WVS-111110.html

jerry

Two “mega-projects” have been planned that, if constructed, will affect the ecosystem of the entire region. In both cases, little progress has been made on the projects in recent years and therefore their future status is unclear. The first is a proposal to build a nautical route, or series of connected ports, throughout the Gulf to facilitate visits by yachts, sailboats, and cruise lines. The project, known as Escalera Náutica del Mar de Cortés y Riviera Maya (referred to in English as “The Sea of Cortez Project”), is being promoted by the federal government and is overseen by the National Fund for Tourism Development (Fondo Nacional de Fomento al Turismo or FONATUR), which was responsible for large-scale tourist developments in Cancún, Ixtapa and Huatulco (Escalera Náutica 2001). Planning for the Escalera Náutica project in the Gulf of California began in 2001 under former President Vicente Fox, who saw tourism as “the passport to modernity” (Escalera Náutica 2001). The plan gained the support of state authorities in Sinaloa, Sonora, Baja California Sur, and Baja California and became a focal point for tourist development in the nation. The plan promotes the construction of 29 new marinas within a one-day travel distance to facilitate the access of more than 60,000 cruise ships and boats throughout the Gulf.!!!
The second project.....Liberty Cove!!!!!!
Liberty Cove is of course our favorite.I plan on camping down there next month if The Formula 1 race cars are not making too much noise.

JWT

User is currently banned
Jwt as a PPRES I wondered if you have run into James Thornton? if so is he the same Jt in this story.

Hurd admitted that in 2006 he became involved with Deborah and Todd Joyce of Hurricane in the "flipping" of homes in the Stonegate subdivision in that town. Deborah Joyce obtained inflated appraisals from two local appraisers, James Thornton and Mark Greenlee, and subsequently sent the appraisals on to another co-conspirator Raymond Morris in Salt Lake City.

PPRES
You don't want a big mouth, and your skills letting google tell you what to say, to result in you getting sued by a local JT, if he exists. We suggest you issue an apology right quick.

There she goes with that we stuff again.
Didn't answer the question... sort of, but the response was almost incriminating.
The sweater unraveling?

Kenny

PPRES
You don't want a big mouth, and your skills letting google tell you what to say, to result in you getting sued by a local JT, if he exists. We suggest you issue an apology right quick.
Good start with the back door threat JWT but I'm sure you, I mean you's, BIG GRIN, can do better...Not a bad for a Realtor Jerry, but nothing compared to you being shot or me being beat up and in front of my family!

Last edited:

jerry

JWT.....just a question.....if it were me I would just own my past mistakes in the
United States or point out that that is another JT....we all screw up but if someone say stiffs their sub contractors in Arizona,loses in court in Arizona and flees to a new life in Rocky Point I don't hold that against them but I sure would want to know about it before I had them build a house for me...same thing here..

jerry

It's a departure location -not a receiving location or port of call.

If you are a Mexican family that has never cruised....you may want to cruise your home waters.....if you travel like a lot of us do...you want your whole family to go.....little Sophia doesn't have a passport, she cant go, nobody goes.

Here comes Rocky Point Cruise Terminal. A place where as a Mexican you can board (without the hassle of a passport) (without the hassle of going to the USA) with your whole family. Cruise Mexican waters without ever stepping foot in the USA.

I wonder how many on the first ship sailing (small 1500 person vessels) will be from the USA? I think it will be us sailing the first ship, and from projections done probably the first 6 months are sold out.

This is probably a little different than you thought about it.
Six months of solid bookings of mexican cruise passangers...right.... Sophia can already hop on a cruise ship in Guaymas.Why get on here? the same thing goes for all the Americans hiding out in the free zone that would be making a bad mistake if they re enter the states.

jerry

I enjoy it, my wife enjoys it, the local office of Visitors and conventions supports it, the State of Sonora Tourism Dept. supports it. Most of all, our customers enjoy it, to the point of making us a destination within a destination.

I get to make a living showing foreign people cool things about a cool town on the edge of the sea of Cortes.....and have the support of the locals as well.......I call that a slam dunk! I am so thankful to the local folks that accepted us and make this life possible for my wife and I.

We work hard for our love, Puerto Peñasco, and are dismayed at the negatives ( not so much after we find out who the bashers are) , but hey that is all fair right?

We love the place where we live! Totally!

Heart beating Sonoran blood, life comes in the Sonoran sun, life is good, you gotta get it.

Mexico, live it to believe it!
your commercial interests and the interests of American vacation home owner are just not the same.
The Homeport at this point is also a bad deal for the Mexican people that live in Puerto Penasco.They have no say over the failure of their local government to setup a thirty dollar a head charge for this intrusive " lots of pain little gain" endeavor.

Landshark

Sounds like a visit is in order from the US Marshalls Service. PPARREST

Last edited:

Roberto

PPRES
There is a person who says he is named James Thornton who has an office on Fremont, JMP International Real Estate Group, web site www.buyrockypoint.com. Do not know is this is the same person.

JWT. are you James Thornton?

BTW I'm pretty sure there are no slander laws in Mexico. Hard, difficult or impossible to sue someone for something they say. Also Jerry was asking a question based on a fraud report from a government site. He did not make it up. Permanent residents who have been around know that is is fairly common to meet people here that are hiding from some legal issue in the states. It's a fair inquiry. Was guy who hung out at Bryans, here for years hiding from child support payments, the US Marshal came and got him, took him home to face charges.