The Homeport...A reason a week it is a bad idea

Kenny

Jwt as a PPRES I wondered if you have run into James Thornton? if so is he the same Jt in this story.
Quote from Stopfraud, see link.

Hurd admitted that in 2006 he became involved with Deborah and Todd Joyce of Hurricane in the "flipping" of homes in the Stonegate subdivision in that town. Deborah Joyce obtained inflated appraisals from two local appraisers, James Thornton and Mark Greenlee, and subsequently sent the appraisals on to another co-conspirator Raymond Morris in Salt Lake City.

http://www.stopfraud.gov/iso/opa/stopfraud/WVS-111110.html
And to top it off...This case was prosecuted as part of President Obama's Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force to wage an aggressive, coordinated and proactive effort to investigate and prosecute financial crimes.

Six months of solid bookings of mexican cruise passangers...right.... Sophia can already hop on a cruise ship in Guaymas.Why get on here? the same thing goes for all the Americans hiding out in the free zone that would be making a bad mistake if they re enter the states.
You might be able to hop on a ship but its going to its homeport in some other country, Again you will need passport to board again.

jerry

Lets see....Guaymas advantages....closer to population centers,better in rough water,better public transportation,superior infrastructure, a growing mexican middle class

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Yeah thanks for saying that Alacrane, I thought maybe he had new knowledge that the cruisers were actually 4500 passenger taxis you can pick up and drop off of anywhere. I was confused. Sophi still wants a cruise though.

jerry

Back to the topic I heard from a Matzatlan based marine biologist the enviromental impact studies are a sham and predicted huge sand/ trash issues.The following came from a after report bashing Vincente Fox for going ahead with the Nautical Ladder....might learn from the history of the nautical ladder.

Presidents of Mexico are limited to one 6 year term of office. It is seen as important for them to leave a lasting mark by creating some form of “brick and mortar” project which will bear their imprint. Obtaining land for these projects can be a major problem. The government typically promises the concession to operate tourist related and other businesses around the projects to the landowners who allow the government to carry out the projects on their land. Such was the case at Santa Rosalillita, and this may have played a major role in deciding where the marina was to be located. The site selected appeared to be the most sheltered part of the bay, and the owner made the land available, but there were other factors that were overlooked. The environmental impact study that was done prior to construction did not look at sediment transport. The sheltered area behind the dunes on Santa Rosalita Point, where wind surfers go because of the shallow sandy reef that creates rideable waves and has offshore winds, is also the center of what coastal engineers call a littoral cell. A littoral cell is a unit where sediment transport is occurring. If you don’t want to be impacted by sand build up, you need to do construction at the end of a littoral cell. The marina jetties at Santa Rosaliita were constructed in the middle of a sand transport system and thus interrupted sediment transport. The moving sand was blocked and tended to build up on the upcoast side and disappear on the downcoast side. It was remarked by workers dredging the new marina, that the deepening of the marina created by dredging one day would be gone when dredging started the following day. On our last visit to the area just before work was stopped, the sand at low tide was exposed out to the mouth of the marina entrance. It is apparent that the jetties would have to be much longer to protect the entrance from sand filling up the inside of the marina and that as currently designed, the constant dredging necessary to make the marina workable would be economically impractical. As of the current time, all work has stopped and the project appears to be abandoned

jerry

Yeah thanks for saying that Alacrane, I thought maybe he had new knowledge that the cruisers were actually 4500 passenger taxis you can pick up and drop off of anywhere. I was confused. Sophi still wants a cruise though.
Sorry Sophia I stand corrected the Uni Cruise ships that were leaving from Guaymas and planning bigger boats have now moved all departures to Baja.The reason was the LACK of mexican cruisers and more importantly the fear of American cruisers to enter Mexico via car.This is a bad sign for the Homeport too. http://www.un-cruise.com/mexico-cruises

Last edited:

jerry

Comments from a battle to south on the sand issues. "Let's see ... build a big pier for cruise ships
at Troncones, and all the parking and bus places
and of course a tourist market.
Uh-oh it is sort of open ocean, so we'll need a
breakwater. You know what that does, it re-directs
the sand so the beach disappears.
Remember when they built the new pier for boats to go to Ixtapa Island?
Remember how the sandy beach disappeared.
breakwater.... it re-directs the sand so the beach disappears....Melia Azul turned it into a place of dirt and rocks..

Another GOOD Point….!!

Being from California, I’m certain that you have indeed “seen the movie before”, as the HUGE anchorage breakwater built by the Army Corp of Engineers some 50 years ago in Oceanside alone, has necessarily launched intense international study of coastal alluvial planes and valleys impacts ever since.

Artificially disturbing the complex interplay of naturally-occurring intertidal troughs and the ‘re-sanding cycle’ is something not to be taken lightly..... ANYWHERE..... as the catastrophically resulting beach and coastal cliff erosion problems in San Diego County have had, and STILL Do have disastrous effects ranging some 25+ MILESsouth of the Oceanside jetty..…… to this very day!!

It was just such preliminary alluvial studies that thwarted a similar cruiseship pier project from being launched in Puerto Escondido, OAX, a few years back..... which has been at least temporaily 'shelved'.

Landshark

Back to the topic I heard from a Matzatlan based marine biologist the enviromental impact studies are a sham and predicted huge sand/ trash issues.The following came from a after report bashing Vincente Fox for going ahead with the Nautical Ladder....might learn from the history of the nautical ladder.
Reports say President Fox's Nautical Ladder project has been abandoned due to lack of federal funding. It was also reported later the project was renamed. Now referred to as the 'El Proyecto Mar de Cortes' - aka The Sea of Cortez Project', it calls for 28 nautical stops in five states. There is also some airport construction and upkeep factored into the project. Apparently if you're the kind of person who has your own yacht, you are the kind of person who would like to fly into Mexico. Sound familiar?

Also being reported the completed marinas include those in Mazatlan, Sinaloa; Puerto Escondido, La Paz and Santa Rosalia in Baja California Sur; San Felipe in Baja California (Norte); San Blas, Nayarit; Puerto Peñasco and San Carlos, Sonora. In an unfinished state are marinas in Topolobampo, Sinaloa and Santa Rosalillita, BCN. Juan Manuel Galarza Tohen, Director General of FONATUR, claimed success for the eight operating marinas and scales, saying it has triggered regional development in each case, which was the goal. The original project is canceled. We stay with 10 marinas." They include Puerto Penasco in the "completed" list, which appears to mean it is not on the "cancelled" list and will be completed.

Critics of the Nautical Ladder/Proyecto Mar de Cortes project are worried about the environmental impact of the project itself and the resulting uptick in tourism. They also criticize Fonatur and it's lack of specifics with relation to what is actually being built. Indeed, finding any details on the proposed developments has proven very difficult.

Clearly Puerto Penasco's "Homeport" is not just a random project, but part of a modified Sea of Cortez project. The airport is completed and the "Homeport" is under construction with funding in place. A ladder is normally perceived to be unusable without all of it's rungs, but in this case it appears that's not necessarily true. However, the final rung that provides a link to the United States is absolutely necessary for the ladder to be productive.
nautical-ladder.gif

jerry

Historically these guys couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery as the Kiwis say.We are to believe this has been the plan all along?...no way...hustlers scrambling is more like it.
Reports say President Fox's Nautical Ladder project has been abandoned due to lack of federal funding. It was also reported later the project was renamed. Now referred to as the 'El Proyecto Mar de Cortes' - aka The Sea of Cortez Project', it calls for 28 nautical stops in five states. There is also some airport construction and upkeep factored into the project. Apparently if you're the kind of person who has your own yacht, you are the kind of person who would like to fly into Mexico. Sound familiar?

Also being reported the completed marinas include those in Mazatlan, Sinaloa; Puerto Escondido, La Paz and Santa Rosalia in Baja California Sur; San Felipe in Baja California (Norte); San Blas, Nayarit; Puerto Peñasco and San Carlos, Sonora. In an unfinished state are marinas in Topolobampo, Sinaloa and Santa Rosalillita, BCN. Juan Manuel Galarza Tohen, Director General of FONATUR, claimed success for the eight operating marinas and scales, saying it has triggered regional development in each case, which was the goal. The original project is canceled. We stay with 10 marinas." They include Puerto Penasco in the "completed" list, which appears to mean it is not on the "cancelled" list and will be completed.

Critics of the Nautical Ladder/Proyecto Mar de Cortes project are worried about the environmental impact of the project itself and the resulting uptick in tourism. They also criticize Fonatur and it's lack of specifics with relation to what is actually being built. Indeed, finding any details on the proposed developments has proven very difficult.

Clearly Puerto Penasco's "Homeport" is not just a random project, but part of a modified Sea of Cortez project. The airport is completed and the "Homeport" is under construction with funding in place. A ladder is normally perceived to be unusable without all of it's rungs, but in this case it appears that's not necessarily true. However, the final rung that provides a link to the United States is absolutely necessary for the ladder to be productive.
View attachment 7272

Landshark

Historically these guys couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery as the Kiwis say.We are to believe this has been the plan all along?...no way...hustlers scrambling is more like it.
You may be right. All speculation on my part. If massive funding continues through good and bad until the home port is completed then we may need to reconsider. Especially with the history of "missing" construction funding so far. Take a high level obsession to accomplish that. Time will tell.

" Take a high level obsession to accomplish that. "

I suppose it can crash and burn but at this point it's just a matter of the overall impact because, it's going to go ahead.

Last edited:

Kenny

Jim Rinquist who was once and years ago known to his many friends as Javelina Jim is one of the straight shooter's in a sea of questionable agents in PP. Though I don't think this Homeport deal is a good thing and will be harmful to not only the sea of Cortez but to some who live there as well, I certainly don't hold it against Jim as he's doing is job and as always, he's doing it well.
EDIT..Looks like Hillbeartoe changed by edit his post that mentioned Jim but no harm in letting the above stand.

Last edited:
Yes, I have heard from him and with respect will not be including him in my comments. I had hoped that I had made clear I wasn't shooting at anyone but the name was everywhere when reading other forum member posts.
As always, I have my opinion on matters but my only wish is that anything that happens helps the peoples of Puerto Peñasco.
Truthfully I don't think anything said here could possibly affect anything unless you have the money to make it so.
Aside from our PPRES here I have no wish to cause waves, and I apologize if anyone has or will in the future take offense to something I have posted.
Ty Kenny because it does make a difference as who to trust or not these days. I appreciate the heads up.

Kenny

Yes, I have heard from him and with respect will not be including him in my comments. I had hoped that I had made clear I wasn't shooting at anyone but the name was everywhere when reading other forum member posts.
As always, I have my opinion on matters but my only wish is that anything that happens helps the peoples of Puerto Peñasco.
Truthfully I don't think anything said here could possibly affect anything unless you have the money to make it so.
Aside from our PPRES here I have no wish to cause waves, and I apologize if anyone has or will in the future take offense to something I have posted.
Ty Kenny because it does make a difference as who to trust or not these days. I appreciate the heads up.
I didn't think nor did it read as if you were casting one of your Voodoo spells Jims way, I just thought I'd give my old friend a shout out.:)

Really, I hadn't decided anything good nor bad about him and I am so glad that he is a good guy.

Mostly through my obsession with figuring out who/what our PPRES friend is linked to, his name was everywhere. In retrospect it bothers me I allowed myself to get so fixed on that member that I posted names that I had been seeing for sometime now though there was no evidence. The trappings of forums.
I am glad to now know he is a forum member here, though I wish he spoke up more. People that are in the know here are why people like myself come to this forum.
It would be interesting to hear his take on Jerry's thread.

Ha, I'd just like to hear he got out on the water again and caught some big WSB.

Not a chance, he's way to smart than to pop off on here.
Then what does that say about me? LOL. Not to smart I guess.
I love you guys man, there are some good caring people here....
I wish I had some power to affect change down there. Workin on it.

Kenny

Hey not to worry as you've been a good addition to this forum and you have already made friends here. Not sure what kind though.:eek: