The Homeport...A reason a week it is a bad idea

JWT

User is currently banned
PPRES

Attention honest and well meaning people planning to call Penasco home:

This person may be mean spirited regarding Penasco, and does not reside anywhere nearby. It is doing everything it can to bring us down. We are not sure how this will help Disemboque. There are more credible posts about Penasco on this forum if you look hard.

jerry

Antigua's tourism minister, John Maginley, told the Herald that Carnival informed him of their decision via e-mail:

There was no discussion, none,'' Maginely said. ``We're supposed to be partners in this thing, and all we got was an e-mail sent to the agent in Antigua that Carnival is pulling its boat.

This will cost Antigua, which is dependent on tourism, more than $40 million annually.

This should serve as a wake up call for all ports of call which are dependent on cruise lines. Carnival holds all of the cards in situations like this. The notion that a sovereign country like Antigua is an equal "partner" to an 800 pound gorilla like Carnival is fanciful. If a cruise line can make a better deal with an island next door, which charges a lower head tax, has fewer environmental restrictions, or is willing to foot the bill for a larger dock, then its "see ya later" as far as the cruise line goes.

The cruise industry likes to promote the image that it is a responsible "partner" with the ports and their local business. Today the cruise line trade organization CLIA posted a link on Twitter @CruiseFacts to a video promoting the cruise industry in Portland Maine. CLIA suggests that its cruise line members are interested in developing and sustaining long term relationships with places like Portland and the "mom & pop" stores in its port.

But Carnival's quick pull out of Antigua should be a warning to Portland and other small ports which bet their economic future on the cruise industry.

jerry

The boom and bust cycle will bring many new cutthroat operations in which compete with existing companies With shady employees like my new Darkside tour guide Perro....image.jpg

Among the more notable finds are an aluminum-bodied 1937 seven-passenger Lincoln limo by Willoughby, believed to be one of five remaining of the 60 that were produced, and a 1937 Cord Model 812 Supercharged Beverly sedan.

There you go Mexicoruss, perfect for your buis.!

jerry

You can now fly from Reno to PV for a bit more than the price of a shuttle from Phoenix to RP.The idea that cruises will not leave from the Mexican Riviera in the near future is just wishful thinking

playaperro

El Pirata
You can now fly from Reno to PV for a bit more than the price of a shuttle from Phoenix to RP.The idea that cruises will not leave from the Mexican Riviera in the near future is just wishful thinking
Kind of suck to drive to Reno from Penasco to jump on a flight to P/V when I can just drive to the homeport from town and jump on a cruise ship and go down with family and not worry bout driving.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
It's all just blah blah blah..... it'll work or i t won't ( the home port) but it won't matter or change because some gringo who lives in Santo Tomas wants to bash my hometown. The project has legs - maybe not the legs you want to see but legs none the less. Piss Piss Moan Moan , in the end you are the only one that cares - boring - boring - boring

jerry

Just putting out the facts.If you were thinking about buying a home in the area wouldn't you want to consider the downside to this project?

Last edited:

jerry

Well said, Russ; my exact sentiments!
rhino when a cruise ship created flume of turds wrap around Cholla bay you will change your tune.When you guys act like sheep it allows the backers of these projects to not do anything about the negative effects of development.

Well, I have stated before the building will go ahead regardless but Mexicoruss, I care.

I care that the things you, I and others love about Puerto Peñasco could be damaged in the name of progress.

I do believe that the things Jerry has posted are legitimate concerns and possibilities. A lot of these things are based off of studies done after the projects have had time to impact the ecosystems and economies. A lot of these studies have been done in/around areas with arguably much better infrastructures and more reliable controls and governing in place.

The successful ones have been deemed successful purely from the economic point of view (not always including the local population in those points of view) and the ecological impact has been negative in general. I don't think that this is just general speculation, these are real possibilities. The only speculative part of this project is the economic impact on the City and it's peoples.

I don't see how these postings can be seen as bashing Puerto Peñasco when to me it is the very opposite in that Jerry is pointing out that the ecosystem could be damaged beyond a usable point. Anyone that owns a business that relies on said ecosystem will loose as well.

What kind of tour could it be with out anything beautiful left to show anyone? A lunch consisting of seafood imported from somewhere else? A tour guide that has to start every sentence with "before the port ...this place used to be...".

In my opinion, I believe Jerry cares for Puerto Peñasco more than a lot of members give him credit for.

Quoted from
George Santayana
The Life of Reason (1905-1906)
"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Not trying to start a fight here by any means but I can not envision there not being a dark side to the light being seen at the end of this tunnel.

jerry

I became interested in the Homeport after a month long trip to Tasmania a year ago. Our surfer/ naturalist guide had been fighting a HOMEPORT on the Gold Coast for years.
Don't take everything so personal my booster friends ...were just talking here....