Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

We were suppose to meet some friends at Coffee Point. We sent them an email saying we weren't going to make it and why. They called us from Coffeepoint and stated there is no buzz about it in town.

We were just told to get off the balcony and get back inside.

mis2810

Same thing happens here too.
Sorry, Todd. You know I'm a cheerleader with the best of them, but this is different. It will not stop me from going, but gunships/helicopters do not fire on residential neighborhoods in the US. That was a HUGE mistake on the part of the military/federales as far as I'm concerned. Yes, we have gun situations here in the states where neighborhoods get barricaded, but the authorities do not fire down onto the neighborhoods. They send in SWAT teams. Why they had to fire out of the helicopters I will never understand. That was the stake in the heart of our beach town.

This in az news....seems odd a police chase of car lead to the mass attack.

Three people were killed in a shootout involving government officials this morning near Rocky Point's Sandy Beach area in Rocky Point, the Sonora newspaper El Imparcial is reporting.Sonora state police say the incident started after a chase of a man driving a white Chevrolet pick up truck with California license plates Tuesday night in Sonoyta, the border town near the border crossing at Lukeville.The police caught up to the vehicle on the Puerto Peñasco – Sonoyta highway at kilometer 85 when the passengers started shooting at the police, the newspaper reported, leading to a chase all the way to Miramar, in the popular tourist area of Sandy Beach.
Two of the people killed were identified as Pablo Gómez Dominguez, 25, from Ahome, Sinaloa and Julio César Martínez Aguilar, 29, from Chihuahua, Chihuahua. The third person has not been identified.
Police found two assault weapons, a bullet proof vest and a radio, El Imparcial reported.An American man who lives in the Esmeralda Resort complex on Sandy Beach told the Star today that he was awakened at about 4:30 or 5 a.m. by the sound of gunfire. It intensified and moved toward him, the man said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he is scared for his family's security.
"I’m hearing gun fire and helicopters in the distance. It got closer and closer and closer. I looked back at the condos (further up Sandy Beach) from my front door. I look down the beach and see a helicopter firing into the resort area by Bella Sirena," he said.
The gunfire went on for hours, and the man says he saw the helicopter firing what looked like tracers at the Bella Sirena resort.

GV Jack

Snorin God
The car/truck chase with the three guys killed was the one in November. The last half of the article was from today.
They may be connected, but different time frames.

An American man who lives in the Esmeralda Resort complex on Sandy Beach told the Star today that he was awakened at about 4:30 or 5 a.m. by the sound of gunfire. It intensified and moved toward him, the man said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he is scared for his family's security.
"I’m hearing gun fire and helicopters in the distance. It got closer and closer and closer. I looked back at the condos (further up Sandy Beach) from my front door. I look down the beach and see a helicopter firing into the resort area by Bella Sirena," he said.
The gunfire went on for hours, and the man says he saw the helicopter firing what looked like tracers at the Bella Sirena resort.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
so much for anonymous when the az news story pretty much quotes what you said on this public forum. You should have said you were in a different complex.

Last edited:
Good thing this wasn't during a Holiday weekend.
I see your point Melissa. I had an indecent in my neighborhood several years ago involving a home invasion. No choppers.
But we are talking about Mexico. They have a different way of doing things......just as other foreign countries.
Not having all the info yet...this may be the normal procedure for them., Scary as it may seem.
Guess my Feb trip will include a flak jacket and some PPD's ;)
Gotta try and keep positive. Keep your eyes on the tele tonight.

mis2810

The person's name is entirely irrelevant here whether it was the guy you mentioned or not. I STRONGLY suggest that the administrator of this forum immediately delete Dry Heat's post!
He put his own name out there! Took him 2 second to dial Tim Stellar's phone number in Tucson!

Last edited:

mis2810

Good thing this wasn't during a Holiday weekend.
I see your point Melissa. I had an indecent in my neighborhood several years ago involving a home invasion. No choppers.
But we are talking about Mexico. They have a different way of doing things......just as other foreign countries.
Not having all the info yet...this may be the normal procedure for them., Scary as it may seem.
Guess my Feb trip will include a flak jacket and some PPD's ;)
Gotta try and keep positive. Keep your eyes on the tele tonight.
But you can't tell people with families that, hey, it's Mexico, they do things different there and still expect them to bring their children to a place for vacation where they can get fired on from helicopters above. That's a total game changer for the average American family.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Totally unreal. There goes the neighborhood!

The chance of civilian casualties here should have dictated strategy and action. You do NOT take helicopter gunships and fire into residential communities. Unless, of course, you're Syria, Afghanistan, or other third world warzone. Once this hits the mainstream media, it's not going to be good for Rocky Point no matter how they try to spin it. This is dangerous stuff and a level of escalation that should concern anyone visiting Rocky Point -- suddenly it's way too easy to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But you can't tell people with families that, hey, it's Mexico, they do things different there and still expect them to bring their children to a place for vacation where they can get fired on from helicopters above. That's a total game changer for the average American family.
I agree with you. It will be up to the individual to decide if its safe for them or not.
What I meant was that the local citizens may think that this not so out of the ordinary. Scary just the same.....they may feel like it was a big deal but a justified action towards the criminal. It will be interesting to see how our media here reports about as more info comes in

Roberto

Thanks for the on site info. Please keep it up. Word on the street is that some of the shooters are on the loose. They had kidnapped a Doctor who has been released.

This is incident #4 in just a couple of weeks. Not good, not good. I would suggest to stay away from Penasco until the dust settles here.

Sex, drugs, killings and corruption are what the news media feeds off of, to give us the news.
It will be a hit on tourism for the near term.
I just hope it gets resolved quickly and the news goes on to the next story sooner than later.
I will still go down next week and next year multiple trips with my family.

With all this military brought in does it not seem like they were prepared for it or tipped off. Or is this amount of military always close by? Just seems like there had to be someone big at bella sirena.