Penasco Police Chief Landagaray critical after ambush

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
The clear blue ones. They are very difficult to see in the water.

There was no checkpoint when we came back last night after 7.

First the shootings, now jellyfish in June!?!? What's next, a surprise election/dry weekend? Guess this is not the best time to take down a first-timer, but looks like we're gonna' do it anyway this weekend. Anything special going on?

Yeah, the blue ones are difficult to see when swimming....I've had the "pleasure" of getting the tentacles wrapped around my ankle...nice welts., fortunately didn't have an allergic reaction.

Just spent over a week down there and never saw any jelly fish in the ocean...we were on sandy beach. Also, never would of known that all the "activity" happened while we were there if I had not read it. Was in town walked around and felt as safe as I always have. Is terrible what happened and especially when things seem to be slowly picking up down there. For me, RP is a place I love to go to, is why we bought there and I hate that I always have to defend a place I love....of course now it will be harder to convince friends and family that it is safe to go there. We will keep going, of course now being more aware of things, but the way I look at it, I could be anywhere and bad things can happen....look at the family that was gunned down in California at a Taco Bell...sadly, crime and violence is everywhere in the world. Seems like anything that happens in RP is blown out of proportion in Arizona and the rumors I hear are crazy. I just read this on a newspaper forum that people were just slamming mexico, mexicans, hispanics...you name it and this person said this "Cars with Arizona license plates are being vandalized in California in the great US of A. Put things in perspective and quit letting fear and prejudice run your life."

mis2810

Just spent over a week down there and never saw any jelly fish in the ocean...we were on sandy beach. Also, never would of known that all the "activity" happened while we were there if I had not read it. Was in town walked around and felt as safe as I always have. Is terrible what happened and especially when things seem to be slowly picking up down there. For me, RP is a place I love to go to, is why we bought there and I hate that I always have to defend a place I love....of course now it will be harder to convince friends and family that it is safe to go there. We will keep going, of course now being more aware of things, but the way I look at it, I could be anywhere and bad things can happen....look at the family that was gunned down in California at a Taco Bell...sadly, crime and violence is everywhere in the world. Seems like anything that happens in RP is blown out of proportion in Arizona and the rumors I hear are crazy. I just read this on a newspaper forum that people were just slamming mexico, mexicans, hispanics...you name it and this person said this "Cars with Arizona license plates are being vandalized in California in the great US of A. Put things in perspective and quit letting fear and prejudice run your life."
Well said.

HAPPY

User is currently banned
O YES and furthermore, nobody really answered my questions regarding why this is now taking place in RP. I know there were a few follow up answers in regards to the Resorts being built with dirty money, but i dont see the correlation to drug violence. Once again anyone want to elaborate? This time try to answer the real question and not go off on other subjects that are totally irrelevant. Thanks. Love you all.
~~~ I know ~~~ EXACTLY ~~~ why, but it is SOOOOOO obvious that I'm not going to say, ~~~

~~~ The WEETA

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
To the people that are reporting there aren't military checkpoints on Mexico 8 from Sonoyta to RP, you guys must have the worst reading comprehension ever. Kenny's buddy was saying there was a military checkpoint in the Calle Trece region of RP near the Penasco Del Sol and Pinicate Condos, not on the highway. He never once mentioned checkpoints on the way to RP from Sonoyta.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
O yes, also, I was mearly trying to create conversation. I know that there may not be clear cut answers and even if there was I also understand that those answers may not be shared because this is a public forum. I was only trying to get convo started and get people's opinions or thoughts as to why this is happening. It was supposed to be food for thought, you dont have to rip me on it. I was hoping it would be like a symposium forum where people debate on facts or opinions. Just wanted conversation, and I was hoping the RP cheerleaders would get involved but i guess its dead in the water cause nobody wants to speculate. I think speculation is awesome as long as its not interpreted as factual information. Thanks again and I love you all so much.

mis2810

To the people that are reporting there aren't military checkpoints on Mexico 8 from Sonoyta to RP, you guys must have the worst reading comprehension ever. Kenny's buddy was saying there was a military checkpoint in the Calle Trece region of RP near the Penasco Del Sol and Pinicate Condos, not on the highway. He never once mentioned checkpoints on the way to RP from Sonoyta.
The person said at the entrance to the Pinacate - which I took to mean as the Biosphere Reserve - not the Pinacate condos down by the Peñasco del Sol. Was I the only person who read it like that?

Kenny

cause nobody wants to speculate.
Not to worry, it's just the nature of the beast..... I think that for whatever reason some group, either big or small, said the hell with this town, we gata do, what we gata do, and it very well could have been two separate incidents, with a common denominator. Or not! LOL

Kenny

My friend was just reporting what he saw, and trust me, he has plenty at stake in Rocky Point; but put that aside to let you know what was going on.

Like I said, the nature of the beast.

S

Submarine

There is something to be said for being blissfully ignorant. I think a random shooting at a Taco Bell is a slightly less significant event than the ambushing of a Police Chief.

You might recall the national reaction to those 4 officers murdered in that Tacoma coffee shop.

Puerto Penasco has now entered the list of towns besieged by narco-violence, as this current event has loudly announced. If you want things to change, stay home and voice your protest to the Mexican government.

Terry C

It said,,,,
There is a HUGE Federal Military stop in full operation as I write, 6/21/10 Noonish, close to the entrance to the Pinacate. Fully armed and uniformed military as reported, not Federal or local police. All vehicles are being stopped, people are required to exit the vehicle and it is carefully inspected."

Thing about that is you can go and catch the other highway to the West.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, i've been a lurker on this forum for several months and have really enjoyed reading updates, etc. This is my first posting and i hope to become more active. I own in Las Conchas and go down several times a month if I can. I really enjoy Penasco and am sorry to hear about this recent violence. One thing that no one has mentioned - is it typical for a police chief to be on patrol at 10:30 at night on a Saturday. I figure most police chiefs are at home or out socializing at night and leave patrol to their officers. Perhaps there is more to this story. I obviously didn't know the chief as many of you do so i can't speak to his character or anything but I think its worth thinking about.