Penasco Police Chief Landagaray critical after ambush

I also agree with several others that it is harder and harder to argue the "rocky point" is safe card. I have many friends here in Phoenix that are now asking "what do you think now". I will continue to defend Rocky Point but it becoming frustratingly difficult. I frankly wouldn't mind a huge military presence if it shuts down any violence.

Kenny

Perhaps there is more to this story.
Ya think? That might be just a little understated, don't ya think?

Good to have ya, and you must know a few who post regularly on here, right?

Last edited:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
No MIS, you are not the only one. That is how I read it, the entrance to Pinacate on Hiway 8. Therefore I posted on the road out. I never go to Calle Trece or Sandy Beach and had no idea there were condos named Pinacate over there. Our reading comprehension is just fine....never mind the naysayers.:aagh:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I had a friend who called me and then e-mailed me when I didn't call him back right away and begged me to come home. I could not make him understand that I felt safe. Everywhere at work today, "you aren't going back to Mexico are you? You're inapproriate term crazy, yada, yada, yada" What do I tell 'em? All they know is what they hear on the media. Surely I, who has been going there many years, doesn't know anything! I'm wrong and the media is right.....:aagh::aagh::aagh::aagh:

Last edited:
With the various episodes of violence (real or otherwise) over the past year....I've been a supporter...but always wary of my surroundings in Penasco.....not putting my head in the sand! I will retain judgement on this episode until more info comes out, if it ever does....was it narcos, or former cops that were fired, or something else???? It just makes me wonder since the police chief and his bodyguard were not finished off like other narco related hits I've read about????? I'm sure everyone remembers last summer's affair when the shooters followed the target to the clinic and finished him off there.

However, I do know that more of this type of violence will make me think twice before I head down.....

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Joe, just do what we always do, stay out of bad areas and be watchful. Same thing I do at home. I don't go to Walmart after dark unless someone is with me. I stay home on the Mirador at night and feel it is still safe. I am going to live my life and it's gonna have to get real bad to keep me out of my beloved Puerto Penasco!:aagh:

I agree with Ladyjeeper - there are many parts of Phoenix i would never venture to especially after dark. I will really begin to worry, however, if there are daytime gun battles in public - like there are in Jaurez. That's when you can get caught in crossfire - until then, i feel just as safe there as i do at home.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
To the people that are reporting there aren't military checkpoints on Mexico 8 from Sonoyta to RP, you guys must have the worst reading comprehension ever. Kenny's buddy was saying there was a military checkpoint in the Calle Trece region of RP near the Penasco Del Sol and Pinicate Condos, not on the highway. He never once mentioned checkpoints on the way to RP from Sonoyta.[/QUThere OTE]

Mexico Joe, I was the first one saying that Kenny's friends said ..... and that there where not checkpoints and let me tell you that you are confused and your reading comprehention is also as bad as you say others are, here is in the same words of kenny's friend again to refresh your memory a little bit:

"You can pass this on if you wish. There is a HUGE Federal Military stop in full operation as I write, 6/21/10 Noonish, close to the entrance to the Pinacate. Fully armed and uniformed military as reported, not Federal or local police. All vehicles are being stopped, people are required to exit the vehicle and it is carefully inspected.

I just drove up Calle 13 and was passed by a convoy of no less than 15 PP Police cars heading down toward the Hotel del Sol and Pinacate Condos. Lights no sirens. Could not see where or if they stopped. I'm heading down there now to see what I can see.

So as you can see there was no wrong reading comprehention by any of the 2 or 3 people that mention the same thing after reading Kennys post and further more the Pinacate condos are located at the dead end of the street where Penasco del Sol is located make it rediculous to have a worthless checkpoint there for the owners of the pinacate condos only!! am sorry but, the facts baby!!

Last edited:

jerry

Well I'm avoiding the Bimbo Warehouse from now on. One is enough of a problem let alone a warehouse full!

Ink....I think some people were thinking the post was referring to the Pinacate Preserve....and not the condos....not everyone knows the names of some of them (isn't that next to the old Plazas Glorias???)

Kenny

the facts baby!!
Come on Ink, I've seen post's where you can't get the directions to a popular motel right! The fact is, if he said there was a military check point, there was a military checkpoint. Like I said, he was just trying to get "current" info out, even though it wasn't beneficial for him to do so.

Jerry, watch it..LOL

InkaRoads

cronopiador
The Pinacate Condos are the ones located to the west of Penasco Del Sol Hotel right in the dead end and next to the open lot were the fair was going on or still there, I do not know.
Most people thinks of the Pinacate Preserve when some one mentions the entrance to the Pinacate, for those who do not know the older most known entrance is located just next to the Batamonte? bridge by the dangerous curve and the new entrance is located by the 73 kilometer post, just about 5 or 6 miles north of Penasco by the Sierra Blanca mountains, anyway a little fact for you brain teasers, Pinacate Preserve, is the place the USA astronauts used to train back on the 50's for the lunar landing and they did land on the moon!! do not de-rail this thread with the moon landing now!! :eek3:

Last edited:

azdiva

This was a High Profile Target

The scariest will be hits at popular places, restaurants, or resorts. Take a trip to the new airport by
the Mayan Palace and watch the types who depart and from which destination. There are alot of parties
from hermosillo, mexicali, tiajuana. I can see why "The Untouchables" is a very popular tv rerun in MX.
the worst scenario historically is the Cartels overthrow the government, and a new revolution is born
again. Or the citizens take arms and overtake the cartels.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Come on Ink, I've seen post's where you can't get the directions to a popular motel right! The fact is, if he said there was a military check point, there was a military checkpoint. Like I said, he was just trying to get "current" info out, even though it wasn't beneficial for him to do so.

Jerry, watch it..LOL
Kenny, the argument is not whether there was or not a checkpoint but where it was/is located and to me and anybody with 2 fingers of brain putting a checkpoint in a dead end street is just not feasable, or is it?

And I think it was once I was not sure about the directions of the hotel, but I can see your memory is quick to pick the falts faster than....facts

Last edited:

jerry

What would Pancho Villa do?
The scariest will be hits at popular places, restaurants, or resorts. Take a trip to the new airport by
the Mayan Palace and watch the types who depart and from which destination. There are alot of parties
from hermosillo, mexicali, tiajuana. I can see why "The Untouchables" is a very popular tv rerun in MX.
the worst scenario historically is the Cartels overthrow the government, and a new revolution is born
again. Or the citizens take arms and overtake the cartels.

Kenny

I have a friend who argue with stop signs, and you ask me a question like that Ink?

Last edited:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
not asking anything other than stating some facts about the difference between where and what....just saying!!!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Diva, so it is true. The airport is Open?
Can you provide a link to a Airline servicing this magnificent international airport?
The airport has been open for local and international flights since the aerodrome at the entrance of town was closed around October last year, if you go to the RPtva site, I believe they have the current schedule of flights from Hermosillo only as far as I know, I have seen the office of the airline company acroos from the last circlr K before you head to the fish market.
The customers that I took to the Mayan Lakes looked into flying there, from Tucson to Mayan airport and back the cost was around $1000 and it might take as long as 4 hours depending on how you make your flight connections, so to me it is still cheaper to use one of those shuttle services like RockyPointRides.com which takes also 4 hours and is a door to door service, no need for taxis from airport to Mayan or town.